#1 GoodFellas

• 721 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:24 PM

What supplements can do DNA repair?

#2 Aphrodite

• Guest, F@H
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

I like AC-11, and L-selenomethionine also shows promise. Here's a great overview of the topic.

A review of DNA repair and possible DNA-repair adjuvants and selected natural anti-oxidants

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 GoodFellas

• Topic Starter
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

I like AC-11, and L-selenomethionine also shows promise. Here's a great overview of the topic.

A review of DNA repair and possible DNA-repair adjuvants and selected natural anti-oxidants

selenomethionine = Selenium?

If so I'm already talking Selenium (200mcg a day).

What's AC-11?

Edited by GoodFellas, 08 August 2009 - 07:51 PM.

#4 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:39 AM

It's cat's claw extract standardized to carboxy alkyl esters.

#5 GoodFellas

• Topic Starter
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

It's cat's claw extract standardized to carboxy alkyl esters.

What if I just took Cat's claw?

#6 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

It's possible you may enjoy reduced systemic inflammation. And yes, DNA repair.

Edited by hamishm00, 11 August 2009 - 08:20 PM.

#7 GoodFellas

• Topic Starter
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

Bumping this one a bit;D

#8 GoodFellas

• Topic Starter
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Anymore suggestions?

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:41 AM

selenomethionine = Selenium?

If so I'm already talking Selenium (200mcg a day).

Selenomethionine is a form of the amino acid methionine where selenium is substituted for the sulfur atom. Other forms of selenium are different. You might want to read the link that Aphrodite posted and decide if you still want to take 200 ug/day. Do you have a DNA repair deficit, or do you just want to improve it on general principles?

#10 GoodFellas

• Topic Starter
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

I just want to improve it on general principles.

#11 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

I just want to improve it on general principles.

You're 20. Your DNA already repairs at a healthy rate. On what basis do you megadose selenium?

#12 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

DNA repair (if not replacement) lies at the core of LE. Repair efficiency correlates across species to longevity (at least according to Roy Walford, see video). So anymore has more info on this? (what about autophagy, exercise, CR?).

#13 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

What supplements can do DNA repair?

tocotrienols (4 forms of Vitamin E). I posted an article on it's repair mechanism a few weeks ago. If I'm not busy later I'll search for it and post it.

#14 Onomj

• 13 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:04 AM

AC-11.. thats more popular in japan..

Where did you hear about it?

Edited by Onomj, 30 September 2009 - 05:04 AM.

#15 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:01 AM

The first time I saw it was for sale in a pharmacy. Solgar brand.

#16 Onomj

• 13 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

Did you notice any increase in histamine levels when you start taking AC-11?

#17 Onomj

• 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:56 PM

\\

I know that the AC-11 is derived from cats claw and that cats claw is extremely beneficial for the immune system. Within the first week of taking AC-11 I had sneezing fits and it lasted about 3 weeks... is this typical when the immune system becomes stronger?

#18 Onomj

• 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

\\

I know that the AC-11 is derived from cats claw and that cats claw is extremely beneficial for the immune system. Within the first week of taking AC-11 I had sneezing fits and it lasted about 3 weeks... is this typical when the immune system becomes stronger?

Perhaps mentioning that the company who owns and sells AC-11 is a public company with a stock ticker symbol, "OPGX" and that you can invest in AC-11, will potentially give some of you guys a reason to search through the internet and bring me more information about the effects?

#19 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:01 AM

Perhaps mentioning that the company who owns and sells AC-11 is a public company with a stock ticker symbol, "OPGX" and that you can invest in AC-11, will potentially give some of you guys a reason to search through the internet and bring me more information about the effects?

Try Google.com

#20 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:20 AM

Resveratrol modulates DNA double-strand break repair pathways in an ATM/ATR–p53- and –Nbs1-dependent manner

Carcinogenesis Advance Access originally published online on January 3, 2008
Carcinogenesis 2008 29(3):519-527; doi:10.1093/carcin/bgm283

Susanne Andrea Gatz*, Marlen Keimling1, Cindy Baumann1, Thilo Dörk2, Klaus-Michael Debatin, Simone Fulda and Lisa Wiesmüller1
Children's Hospital of the University of Ulm, Eythstrasse 24, D-89075 Ulm, Germany
1 Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ulm, Prittwitzstrasse 43, D-89075 Ulm, Germany
2 Gynecology Research Unit, Hannover Medical School, Carl-Neuberg-Strasse 1, D-30625 Hannover, Germany

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. Tel: +49 731 50057268; Fax: +49 731 50057102;Email: susanne.gatz @t uniklinik-ulm.de

Correspondence may also be addressed to Lisa Wiesmüller. Tel: +49 731 50058800; Fax: +49 731 50058810;Email: lisa.wiesmueller@uni-ulm.de

Resveratrol (RV) inhibits tumour initiation, promotion and progression which has mainly been explained by its properties in cell cycle control and apoptosis induction. So far, ambiguous observations have been published regarding its influence on genomic stability. To study RV's effects on DNA double-strand break (DSB) repair, we applied the established enhanced green fluorescent protein (EGFP)- and I-SceI-based assay system on RV-treated lymphoblastoid cell lines (LCLs). We show that RV inhibits both, homologous recombination (HR) and non-homologous end joining (NHEJ) independently of its known growth and death regulatory functions. Using (i) the isogenic cell lines TK6 and WTK1, which differ in their p53 status, (ii) LCLs from patients with ataxia telangiectasia, (iii) shRNA-mediated p53 knockdown and (iv) chemical inhibition of ATM/ATR by caffeine, we established an ATM–p53-dependent pathway of HR inhibition by RV. Additional use of LCLs from Nijmegen breakage syndrome patients furthermore provided evidence for an ATM/ATR–Nbs1-dependent inhibition of microhomology-mediated NHEJ after RV treatment. We propose that activation of ATM and/or ATR is a central effect of RV. Repression of error-prone recombination subpathways could at least partially explain the chemopreventive effects of this natural plant constituent in animal cancer models.

Abbreviations: AT, ataxia telangiectasia; DSB, double-strand break; EGFP, enhanced green fluorescent protein; LCLs, lymphoblastoid cell lines; MM-NHEJ, microhomology-mediated NHEJ; MRN, Mre11-Rad50-Nbs1; NBS, Nijmegen breakage syndrome; NHEJ, non-homologous end joining; PIKK, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-related kinase; p53pSer15, p53 phosphorylated on serine 15; RV, resveratrol; zVAD-fmk, benzyloxycarbonyl-Val-Ala-Asp-fluoromethylketone

Received August 8, 2007; revised November 30, 2007; accepted December 3, 2007.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

The carotenoid β-cryptoxanthin stimulates the repair of DNA oxidation damage in addition to acting as an antioxidant in human cells
Yolanda Lorenzo1,2, Amaia Azqueta1, Luisa Luna3, Félix Bonilla2, Gemma Domínguez2 and Andrew R. Collins1,* 1 Department of Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, PO Box 1046 Blindern, 0316 Oslo, Norway
2 Department of Medical Oncology, Hospital Universitario Puerta de Hierro, 28035 Madrid, Spain
3 Department of Molecular Biology, Centre for Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, Institute of Microbiology, Rikshospitalet Medical Centre, 0027 Oslo, Norway

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. Tel: +47 22851360; Fax: +47 22851341; Email: a.r.collins@medisin.uio.no<script type="text/javascript">

The role of dietary antioxidants in human health remains controversial. Fruits and vegetables in the diet are associated with lower rates of chronic disease, and this is often attributed to their content of antioxidants, and a resulting protection against oxidative stress. However, large-scale human trials with antioxidant supplements have shown, if anything, an increase in mortality. We have investigated the biological properties of β-cryptoxanthin, a common carotenoid, in cell culture model systems, using the comet assay to measure DNA damage. At low concentrations, close to those found in plasma, β-cryptoxanthin does not itself cause damage, but protects transformed human cells (HeLa and Caco-2) from damage induced by H2O2 or by visible light in the presence of a photosensitizer. In addition, it has a striking effect on DNA repair, measured in different ways. Incubation of H2O2-treated cells with β-cryptoxanthin led to a doubling of the rate of rejoining of strand breaks and had a similar effect on the rate of removal of oxidized purines by base excision repair. The latter effect was confirmed with an in vitro assay: cells were incubated with or without β-cryptoxanthin before preparing an extract, which was then incubated with substrate DNA containing 8-oxo-7,8-dihydroguanine; incision was more rapid with the extract prepared from carotenoid-preincubated cells. No significant increases were seen in protein content of human 8-oxoguanine DNA glycosylase 1 or apurinic endonuclease 1. The apparent cancer-preventive effects of dietary carotenoids may depend on the enhancement of DNA repair as well as antioxidant protection against damage.

Eat your red bell peppers!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users