Photo

money for books needed for project

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

I talked with Portal and we need at least $200 for books from Amazon to send to Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins. I'm proposing that imminst use their funds from their treasury, if at all possible. This could get way to expensive with Shannon, Eric and me buying each time. We already sent 5 books to Larry King and a request for him to appear on Sunday Evening Update.

The next VIP's I want to contact are Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins. So directors, and other imminst leaders, would you agree to this?

Edited by brokenportal, 12 August 2009 - 12:03 AM.
put "treasure chest request" in title

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

Youll want somebody to agree to use theirs now, then we'll post a link to that agreement to the votes and important issues sub forum.

I suggest $200, but thats not for books for just a few people. You could use that $200 sparingly and see how far you can stretch it. Send 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever many books to a person as seen fit by discussions in the VIP Outreach monthly goal topics.

What Im thinking then is when your ready, if this fund is approved, then contact Mind, Caliban or Shannon to have the appropriate books sent out with messages at the times you coordinate.

#3 bacopa

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:15 AM

Youll want somebody to agree to use theirs now, then we'll post a link to that agreement to the votes and important issues sub forum.

I suggest $200, but thats not for books for just a few people. You could use that $200 sparingly and see how far you can stretch it. Send 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever many books to a person as seen fit by discussions in the VIP Outreach monthly goal topics.

What Im thinking then is when your ready, if this fund is approved, then contact Mind, Caliban or Shannon to have the appropriate books sent out with messages at the times you coordinate.

What do you mean by I'll want someone to agree to use "theirs?" Their what?

$200 could buy us like 8 to 12 books, maybe more, depending on how cheap Amazon is. No need to send out 5 books like we did with King, but maybe smaller this time.

I agree with your last statement.

#4 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:30 AM

Their treasure chest is what I meant.

#5 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

This would be a wonderful thing for the directors to spend some of the Treasurer Chest funds on. Contacting them directly and notifying them of this thread should be effective. As chair, I do not have a Treasurer's Chest, but I fully support those who do using them on this sort of outreach.

#6 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

I see. I didnt realize that. I thought you did have one. Are you sure that you dont? If it turns out that you dont then I would hope we could vote to get you one also.

#7 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

Fowler, have you cc'd all the directors with a request for this treasure chest money? Ill be sending out the current two copies of Ending Aging that we need with my own pocket money this week.

Also, there is great news. The member boundlesslife is sending 100 copies of their book for the VIP outreach project. Its a compilation of short stories about cryonics called LifeQuest. I looked over it and read parts of a few stories and it looks great and impactful to me.

We'll have to put our heads together and figure out the best VIP Outreach candidates to disseminate these with.

Posted Image

jedimasterlucia, if your reading this, I told them about your story, and my story too, you never know, maybe one or both could get in a future edition. Come to think of it, maybe we could probe a bit in to how many member short stories we have around here and if there is enough momentum then potentially make another book of our own.

#8 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

LifeQuest is a great book and we could make great use of this generous donation. However, I'm not sure that VIP outreach is the best venue. Those people may not understand that this is not just sci fi.

I'm still happy with a second ImmInst book, but we need to get good quality material. A collection of personal stories would be an interesting idea.

While we are at it, we could revamp the first book with a better cover. We took the best picture that was offered at the time and it is a fine symbolic rendition, but if the book is mainly to be used as a marketing tool in the future, a brighter, less cultish cover would be better imo.

The chair (and treasurer) don't have a treasure chest.

#9 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

Well, the authors are enthusiastic about the idea of the book ending up in the hands of VIPs, and the potentials for converting them. Although, like your getting at, we plan to research just what VIPs these might be best to give out to first. We will probably look for people that we google to find read a lot of sci fi already. We will also focus on a few other criteria.

Also, as to people potentially not understanding that its not just sci fi, Im sure the book is full of foot notes and side sections about joining the cause. For example I find this in a quick search of short story 4.

INTRODUCTION TO LIFEQUEST

Lifequest's numbered issues are collections of fictional works about life extension, including suspended animation, elimination of aging and progressive self-transformation. A recurrent theme is that interference is not to be tolerated with regard to an individual's pursuit of life extension, where others are not in any way being victimized or placed at risk as a consequence.

Lifequest's stories portray people who desire and work to achieve endless lifespans, via scientific and technological approaches. They frequently encounter conditions where death occurs or seems unavoidable, and struggle against limitations of technology and the complacent acceptance of death by their fellow humans, in an attempt to prevail over that which others regard as inevitable. All the characters and events portrayed in these stories are fictional, and any resemblance to real people or incidents is purely coincidental.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Contents of Lifequest are entirely fictional. The stories often portray levels of organizational development which do not presently exist. Readers are cautioned that such tales do not reflect the current state of the art in cryonics, or life extension in general. Readers are advised to evaluate the capabilities, standards, and records of performance, of all organizations, before making arrangements of any kind.

Although, Im sure there is potential in running a list of other ways we might want to distrubute these books, past boundlesslife.

I could see another imminst book being done kind of like a magazine, or as a one time magazine, with short stories, articles, latest best breaking news, quotes, pictures, ads for all the organizations, a few good blogs, things like that. We could maybe ask each organization to contribute say, 3 articles, an add, a short story, a few pictures and a few quotes, or some such list, and then make it that way.

As to the cover, I agree. LifeQuests cover comes off that way to me too. I used to be good friends with a guy who lived a couple blocks away who created book covers as part of his living. He's dead now though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users