#1 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

Split from this topic: http://www.imminst.o...o...30091&st=20

Recorders minute:
brokenportal to collate a list of 'donatable' causes,
caliban to implement

A comprehensive list of MF and SENSF-related Facebook causes is available here (near the bottom of the page).

Florin, thats a pretty big list you linked to there. Theres some great stuff in there and its inspiring to see. I have some questions. If your interested then help us see what we might be able to make of these lists for an ImmInst fund raiser page.

Possible fund raiser ideas:

Give here to ImmInst in general and we will put it to use on the next most pressing projects.

Become a life time member for $500, or a monthly member at other rates.

Give $100 to ImmInst only when 1,000 people total agree to this. July 2010 deadline.

Ablation of Lipofuscin Research fund raiser. Donate by August 17th so this vital research can achieve its full $16,000 matching grant.

Dedicated research fund raiser. Donate here to provide money to future research when a specific research project fund raiser isn’t being held at ImmInst.

The Longevity Meme Folding @ Home Team prize system fund raiser. Donate to increase the funds in this prize incentive.

ImmInst volunteer prize system fund raiser. Donate to increase the funds in this prize incentive.

VIP outreach book and misc. drive. Donations will be used to buy more books and miscellaneous incentives in working to get through to VIP’s about the cause.

ImmInst Member back up Cryonics fund raiser. Give to this fund to provide emergency cryonics money to ImmInst members nearing their death beds. (could be part of a “helping members” fund raiser section.)

Art Team fund raiser. Donate to this fund to secure resources for the art team to build bigger and better things.

The ImmInst Sunday Evening Update internet broadcast. Donate here to help improve the studio, equipment and various other aspects of this growing and informative news source for the cause.

The first list there are things that it seems could be created by linking them up to the account.

The following are ideas that would be harder to implement, need some work, and need more discussion and consideration.

TEME, AGI for indefinite lifespans, undergraduate research grant and scholarship fund raiser. (why cant this just start as a small program with an imminst drupal page, that brings this institute more needed credit, and funds one project, open bio mind, for now?)

Peer Reviewed Journals. Give to this fund so that we can provide the most relevant peer reviewed journals to a qualified science forum. (would have to agree to set up a science invite only section, and then look at what else might be better to fund for it, or in addition to this. Ie, maybe dedicated research funds as an incentive for it?)

Give to the leeep vision fund raiser. Support this marketing plan that combines a variety of projects with the objective of reaching 200 million people with in 5 years of implementation. (needs a team of people to do research on this and plot out a lot of details, its being done by default little by little through imminst team projects, but it seems a more comprehensive vision will be able to inspire more and larger donations, and time and resources.)

Mprize @ Home, donate to provide materials to future participants. (I think that such a fund might be just what this project needs as a next step to get off the ground, but Im not sure.)

Publish our newsletter/ zine, (seems like it would work for sure if we collaborated with H+, Have some of their writers laison with us, give their magazine an imminst section and then we could help them publish and send it out on the net and in the mail perhaps)

Donate to any of the other organizations here: (page with sens, cel, heales, etc..maybe like, one sponsored special feature rotating through here like once a month?)

To all, please give your ideas, we can continue to brainstorm on and discuss this list.

Edited by brokenportal, 18 August 2009 - 09:25 PM.

#2 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:14 AM

Florin, thats a pretty big list you linked to there. Theres some great stuff in there and its inspiring to see. I have some questions. If your interested then help us see what we might be able to make of these lists for an ImmInst fund raiser page.

The fundraising list I created for the MF and SENSF lists different ways to raise money; it's not a list of specific projects (mostly). I created that list to help the Mprize and especially SENS research funding increase as fast as possible. To get to RMR, the SENSF will need $1 billion, and I was concerned that they hadn't taken advantage of all available funding avenues in order to achieve that goal when SENS research was funded through the MF.

So, I'd recommend that Imminst do the following:
  • Make a list of projects that it wants to fund
  • Determine how much finding each project needs if possible
  • Make a list of ways to fund those projects using a custom version of my list and input from the forum
Anyone who creates this kind of list for Imminst will also need to maintain it by adding status updates (e.g., "proposed," "pending," "implemented," "ongoing," etc.) and new fundraising ideas as needed. Since I don't see any serious initiatives that Imminst has besides the laser grant project, I'm not sure whether I'd want to create this kind of list for Imminst yet.

Anyway, Imminst can quickly and easily take advantage of the following fundraising methods: Other fundraising methods that I still need to research include car donations and donation widgets.

Imminst might also want to create a "How you can help" page similar to The Longevity Meme's "Take Action!" page.

Edited by Florin Clapa, 01 August 2009 - 02:15 AM.

#3 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:02 AM

The fundraising list I created for the MF and SENSF lists different ways to raise money; it's not a list of specific projects (mostly). I created that list to help the Mprize and especially SENS research funding increase as fast as possible. To get to RMR, the SENSF will need $1 billion, and I was concerned that they hadn't taken advantage of all available funding avenues in order to achieve that goal when SENS research was funded through the MF.

So, I'd recommend that Imminst do the following:
  • Make a list of projects that it wants to fund
  • Determine how much finding each project needs if possible
  • Make a list of ways to fund those projects using a custom version of my list and input from the forum
Anyone who creates this kind of list for Imminst will also need to maintain it by adding status updates (e.g., "proposed," "pending," "implemented," "ongoing," etc.) and new fundraising ideas as needed. Since I don't see any serious initiatives that Imminst has besides the laser grant project, I'm not sure whether I'd want to create this kind of list for Imminst yet.

Anyway, Imminst can quickly and easily take advantage of the following fundraising methods: Other fundraising methods that I still need to research include car donations and donation widgets.

Imminst might also want to create a "How you can help" page similar to The Longevity Meme's "Take Action!" page.

Right, good ideas, so, we have a suggested "starter list" here. Its small potatos right now, but its like a starter page for us. We can add more as we go. Part of the point now is that when we get small things around here funded, then we will be able to absorb the greater incoming numbers of imminst members ambitions into these small projects. When we do that, we'll be able to crank out some more micro marketing with them and attract the next level of numbers in membership from which we can extract bigger ideas, more comprehensive teams, and more money.

I think a bigger project is in order too though. Me and a few people have one version of what people talk about a lot called the "LEEEP vision". Its just a seed right now but with more interest we can take it places. Part of the leeep vision or any such vision is to do just what you recommend, plot out tentative prices for a bunch of projects. In addition to that we want to plug in the variable of what we think it will tentatively take to get through to about 200 million people with in 5 years.

If we can get a short list of projects like Ive gathered from people and outlined here going, then we can move on to the next step you recommend, which looks like a great idea, to make custom versions of ways to fund them from your list. We're hoping we can get some of those linked to the imminst account with markers showing what the donations are dedicated to from each.

Then about the "how you can help" thing, Caliban started a version of that and ran out of time, needs help with it, and I started one also that is in my list of top 5 bigger projects to take on when I get time. Other people have versions of it and have contributed to this idea over the years too of course.

What Im basically seeing with that is that we should make two lists of things to do:

1. Simple things that people can do right now. We can assign them point values and give them some kind of check off system to show what people have done. Then people can go down the list and do them for points. We can hype it up and make it fun too.

2. Teams to commit to, that plug in to some kind of medium term marketing vision like this "leeep vision" or some other such vision. It doesnt really matter to me what its called, but if somebody else doesnt develop it first then thats probably what Im going to continue to call it. We've already got a variety of such teams developing. These little fund raisers we propose will help bolster them.

#4 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:45 AM

Right, good ideas, so, we have a suggested "starter list" here. Its small potatos right now, but its like a starter page for us. We can add more as we go. Part of the point now is that when we get small things around here funded, then we will be able to absorb the greater incoming numbers of imminst members ambitions into these small projects. When we do that, we'll be able to crank out some more micro marketing with them and attract the next level of numbers in membership from which we can extract bigger ideas, more comprehensive teams, and more money.

Imminst wants to attract more members, but I don't see what initiatives--other than the laser project--Imminst wants to fund. Let's say Imminst had 1 million members. What projects would those members be working on? In orther words, does Imminst want to simply point out external orgs (e.g., MF, SENSF) and projects that members should support or actively promote its own internal projects that members would donate to? What's Imminst's endgame?

To help Imminst decide which projects it wants to fund, a "Project ideas list" could be created.

I think a bigger project is in order too though. Me and a few people have one version of what people talk about a lot called the "LEEEP vision". Its just a seed right now but with more interest we can take it places. Part of the leeep vision or any such vision is to do just what you recommend, plot out tentative prices for a bunch of projects. In addition to that we want to plug in the variable of what we think it will tentatively take to get through to about 200 million people with in 5 years.

Since the vast majority of people are in the pro-aging trance, reaching them won't help short of robust mouse rejuvenation (RMR). So, why would you want to contact 200 million people? You'd be better off trying to reach people that tend to think like we do but haven't heard of SENS or radical life extension. That requires carefully targeting of these people through ads (e.g., Google, Facebook), networking with related life extension and transhumanist orgs, social networking (e.g., Facebook), etc.

To help Imminst decide which marketing methods to use to attract members, a "Marketing ideas list" could be created.

If we can get a short list of projects like Ive gathered from people and outlined here going, then we can move on to the next step you recommend, which looks like a great idea, to make custom versions of ways to fund them from your list. We're hoping we can get some of those linked to the imminst account with markers showing what the donations are dedicated to from each.

This list would be a "Fundraising ideas list" similar to the one at the MF forum.

Then about the "how you can help" thing, Caliban started a version of that and ran out of time, needs help with it, and I started one also that is in my list of top 5 bigger projects to take on when I get time. Other people have versions of it and have contributed to this idea over the years too of course.

What Im basically seeing with that is that we should make two lists of things to do:

1. Simple things that people can do right now. We can assign them point values and give them some kind of check off system to show what people have done. Then people can go down the list and do them for points. We can hype it up and make it fun too.

2. Teams to commit to, that plug in to some kind of medium term marketing vision like this "leeep vision" or some other such vision. It doesnt really matter to me what its called, but if somebody else doesnt develop it first then thats probably what Im going to continue to call it. We've already got a variety of such teams developing. These little fund raisers we propose will help bolster them.

Here's a list of lists that Imminst might want to create:
  • Project ideas list
    • Laser Ablation of Lipofuscin
    • Project 2
    • Project 3
    • Etc.
  • Marketing ideas list
    • Google ads
    • Facebook ads
    • H+ promo
    • Etc.
  • Fundraising ideas list
    • Affinity credit card
    • Charity malls
    • Computing for charity
    • Search engine donations (e.g, GoodSearch)
    • Social networking using Facebook causes
    • Etc.
  • How you can help page
    • Donate to Imminst
    • Become an Imminst member
    • Apply for the Imminst credit card
    • Shop at our charity malls
    • Compute for Imminst
    • Use GoodSearch instead of Google
    • Join [insert list of Facebook causes]
    • [insert items from The Longevity Meme's "Take Action!" page]
    • Etc.
Each list will have to be created and kept up-to-date.

#5 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Imminst wants to attract more members, but I don't see what initiatives--other than the laser project--Imminst wants to fund. Let's say Imminst had 1 million members. What projects would those members be working on? In orther words, does Imminst...

Theres a ton of them. I listed a few with in this topic. Im confused, are you saying they are not even at a level to consider? If thats what your saying, maybe your right, but I dont see it. Money for those things will help those projects flourish. Those are most of the projects that have already taken root in the projects & teams section. Then there are all the ones in the dewar, and then there is a list of projects in leeep that Im working to help implement just as fast as I can, but Im only one person and they all take time to get off the ground one by one.

One possible "end game" is to reach that 200 million with in 5 years. If somebody wants to debate that and refine that and rename that then thats fine, but until then that is the coordinates I have myself tentatively set for. One project that will help absorb a lot of people is the chapters team that is still in discussion. There are a lot of others, big and small, simple or complex. For example there is an internet networking team that can absorb a lot of people. There is a campaign bus idea that will take a lot more coordinated work, and there are plenty of other projects we can implement that could absorb a lot of people. We probably wont get 1 million all in one go though of course, Im thinking more like 10 thousand more or so in the next year with the right strategies. We can get them in on, and expand projects from there as we go. I also dont expect that by starting these fund raisers that we are going to get something like 1 million dollars all in one go. Part of the idea is that the few funds that we do collect will help bolster these first dozen or so projects so that they help grow and sustain incoming membership as we go. Once we get our next wave of big funding then we can revise for more accordingly to what we can get going.

As for an end game for ImmInst research strategies, some of us are hoping to get a science section going where we would provide peer reviewed journals. There is a lot of room for funding there, like dedicated research funds, a broad undergrad fund, lobbying funding, and more boldly, much later down the road, maybe something like an "Unlimited Lifespans University" system. Since thats all so much more complex, and theres so much more to explore there, I would stick with getting the marketing end of the fund raisers off the ground first, as those research related things, or something like them, continue to develop.

To help Imminst decide which projects it wants to fund, a "Project ideas list" could be created.

The Dewar, and LEEEP, are two of those. Ive refined and condensed LEEEP more in another page, and theres are extrapolations of most of those projects in other places, its all continuously evolving as it comes together, but thats the gist of it.

Since the vast majority of people are in the pro-aging trance, reaching them won't help short of robust mouse rejuvenation (RMR). So, why would you want to contact 200 million people? You'd be better off trying to reach people that tend to think...

Well, some people think that most everybody is in a pro aging trance and I used to think many more were that way too. But many others of us are coming to see that alot of these people are just uninformed. They say that a person has to hear about a new concept from around 3 or 4 sources that they view as credible before they begin to beleive it. Few people, as you know, are talking about this stuff any where on a world scale. If we get the word out to them then I think we will find that most people are going to come to support this.

Then of course, we will be targeting through this to. The internet networking team for example goes in to science forums, bio engineering forums, critical thinking forums, etc.. A (hopefully implemented) campaign bus project will be touring elementary, high schools and universities, hospitals and health conventions. In say, universities, they will target biology students, and all the students with the most relevant degrees and the same with all the targeting. We will be using google ads selectively, and we will continue to use things like facebook to yes.

To help Imminst decide which marketing methods to use to attract members, a "Marketing ideas list" could be created.

Those are good ideas you have there. As this develops I look forward to looking into and implementing more of them, and or helping people like you implement more of them.

This list would be a "Fundraising ideas list" similar to the one at the MF forum.

Its an ideas list right now yes, but hopefully its going to be part, or all of an implemented official list soon. If you can think of things to add to it or think some things should be subtracted from it, (It seems like you might be saying everything except the lipofuscin fund should) then please tell us about it here so we can work out the best list.

#6 Florin

• 841 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:40 PM

Theres a ton of them. I listed a few with in this topic. Im confused, are you saying they are not even at a level to consider? If thats what your saying, maybe your right, but I dont see it. Money for those things will help those projects flourish. Those are most of the projects that have already taken root in the projects & teams section. Then there are all the ones in the dewar, and then there is a list of projects in leeep that Im working to help implement just as fast as I can, but Im only one person and they all take time to get off the ground one by one.

One possible "end game" is to reach that 200 million with in 5 years. If somebody wants to debate that and refine that and rename that then thats fine, but until then that is the coordinates I have myself tentatively set for. One project that will help absorb a lot of people is the chapters team that is still in discussion. There are a lot of others, big and small, simple or complex. For example there is an internet networking team that can absorb a lot of people. There is a campaign bus idea that will take a lot more coordinated work, and there are plenty of other projects we can implement that could absorb a lot of people. We probably wont get 1 million all in one go though of course, Im thinking more like 10 thousand more or so in the next year with the right strategies. We can get them in on, and expand projects from there as we go. I also dont expect that by starting these fund raisers that we are going to get something like 1 million dollars all in one go. Part of the idea is that the few funds that we do collect will help bolster these first dozen or so projects so that they help grow and sustain incoming membership as we go. Once we get our next wave of big funding then we can revise for more accordingly to what we can get going.

What I'm saying is that most of the ideas you mentioned are marketing ideas—ways to attract more members. If Imminst had 1 million members, what would they actually do? Do you think they'll be interested in getting discounts on peer-reviewed journals or donating money so that amateurs can grow mice in cages? How many current Imminst members are interested in those activities? Can Imminst come up with concrete and serious research projects that other orgs like the SENSF won't or can't fund? If not, what would Imminst do with 1 million members?

Whatever marketing goal you have—1 million or 200 million—you still need to make a readable, organized list and keep it up-to-date. I haven't seen this kind of list anywhere.

As for an end game for ImmInst research strategies, some of us are hoping to get a science section going where we would provide peer reviewed journals. There is a lot of room for funding there, like dedicated research funds, a broad undergrad fund, lobbying funding, and more boldly, much later down the road, maybe something like an "Unlimited Lifespans University" system. Since thats all so much more complex, and theres so much more to explore there, I would stick with getting the marketing end of the fund raisers off the ground first, as those research related things, or something like them, continue to develop.

Other than SENS research (i.e., Laser Ablation of Lipofuscin), are there any other research projects that Imminst is thinking of pursuing? As for getting undergrads to do life extension research, doesn't the SENSF already have this kind of initiative? I'm not sure about lobbying either; what will Imminst lobby for? Without RMR, I don't see anything happening politically.

The Dewar, and LEEEP, are two of those. Ive refined and condensed LEEEP more in another page, and theres are extrapolations of most of those projects in other places, its all continuously evolving as it comes together, but thats the gist of it.

The examples you mentioned show exactly why a centralized "Project ideas list" (make that "Research project ideas list") and "Marketing ideas list" is needed; the forum and LEEEP lists is either outdated and/or disorganized.

Well, some people think that most everybody is in a pro aging trance and I used to think many more were that way too. But many others of us are coming to see that alot of these people are just uninformed. They say that a person has to hear about a new concept from around 3 or 4 sources that they view as credible before they begin to beleive it. Few people, as you know, are talking about this stuff any where on a world scale. If we get the word out to them then I think we will find that most people are going to come to support this.

Then of course, we will be targeting through this to. The internet networking team for example goes in to science forums, bio engineering forums, critical thinking forums, etc.. A (hopefully implemented) campaign bus project will be touring elementary, high schools and universities, hospitals and health conventions. In say, universities, they will target biology students, and all the students with the most relevant degrees and the same with all the targeting. We will be using google ads selectively, and we will continue to use things like facebook to yes.

How will people hear about SENS from 3 or 4 credible sources without RMR? All they'll hear—if they hear it at all—is what we've already heard in the press—Aubrey says 1,000 year lifespans are a few decades away while Olshansky says that it's nonsense. That will convince few people.

Besides more marketing, where are the research projects?

Those are good ideas you have there. As this develops I look forward to looking into and implementing more of them, and or helping people like you implement more of them.

Its an ideas list right now yes, but hopefully its going to be part, or all of an implemented official list soon. If you can think of things to add to it or think some things should be subtracted from it, (It seems like you might be saying everything except the lipofuscin fund should) then please tell us about it here so we can work out the best list.

Let me emphasize the reasons behind having these lists in the first place:
  • Research project ideas list: proposed research projects and current status of each idea
  • Marketing ideas list: proposed ways to recruit new members and current status of each idea
  • Fundraising ideas list: proposed ways to fund marketing and research projects and current status of each idea
  • How you can help page: approved ways that members can help with fundraising, marketing, and research projects
Each of the lists should be a sticky in its appropiate forum. When a list is updated, members could be notified by posting a list of updates in its thread. See my Fundraising ideas list thread for examples.

#7 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Well, we're on the same page. Thats good to see. I agree with most all of this, and most to all of it is being developed. Your ideas reaffirm this and help drive it forward.

One point we seem to differ on is the RMR though. Most, probably all of us, support it and agree that RMR will be huge in helping take us to the next level of public awareness, like SENS Foundation, the Methuselah Foundation, and the Mprize talk about. In the mean time though there are many different things that can help get through to people, magazine articles that are picked up because they saw a conferernce, a local speaking event, some picketers, or something like that. The conferences themselves, google ads, internet braodcasts about the cause that we drive to popularity, bill boards, affordable local commercials, t shirts, pamphlets, books, flyers, word of mouth, more and more vip support, increasing varieties of circles of people that support this, etc... There are many, many ways.

RMR can make the leap to the next level, the informing can help drive us there slowly in the mean time, and since we cant be sure when RMR might even get here, driving there slowly in the mean time is needed. Not only that, but the slow (but steady accelerating) drive in the mean time will also help pick up more support to help push things like Mprize and RMR along.

#8 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

Sorry, this discussion looks like its really productive and interesting, but insufficiently succinct in presenting a proposal.
Is it to create lists of donation targets? If so, thats a great idea, do we have a volunteer to write these lists?

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions Florin. Just wanted to let everyone know that this basic idea has been around the block for the last year or so. What is lacking is a volunteer to maintain the list/page. Also, I would want any list of projects and/or outreach activities to be somewhat different than what you have created for SENSF. Some of the things we do that are different: We provide scholarships for undergrads (or anyway we did last year and I hope that is one expenditure we make again this year). We run a pretty big F@H team. We are trying to build a better merchandise presence through Cafepress and ebay.

Anyway, here are some of the past discussions for reference. Again, what we really need is a volunteer that could spend 30 minutes a week updating the list, adding/subtracting items, issuing progress reports.

"Take Action" page discussion.

Project tab discussion

From the ToDo List

#10 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

Sorry, this discussion looks like its really productive and interesting, but insufficiently succinct in presenting a proposal.
Is it to create lists of donation targets? If so, thats a great idea, do we have a volunteer to write these lists?

The proposal for a fund raisers page is in the topic here, response #1. I'll reword the heading of the lists, it is as follows.

Fund raiser drupal page, proposal of things to list on it: (small potatos for now, can grow it later)

Give here to ImmInst in general and we will put it to use on the next most pressing projects.

Give $100 to ImmInst only when 1,000 people total agree to this. July 2010 deadline.

Ablation of Lipofuscin Research fund raiser. Donate by August 17th so this vital research can achieve its full $16,000 matching grant.

Dedicated research fund raiser. Donate here to provide money to future research when a specific research project fund raiser isn’t being held at ImmInst.

The Longevity Meme Folding @ Home Team prize system fund raiser. Donate to increase the funds in this prize incentive.

ImmInst volunteer prize system fund raiser. Donate to increase the funds in this prize incentive.

VIP outreach book and misc. drive. Donations will be used to buy more books and miscellaneous incentives in working to get through to VIP’s about the cause.

ImmInst Member back up Cryonics fund raiser. Give to this fund to provide emergency cryonics money to ImmInst members nearing their death beds. (could be part of a “helping members” fund raiser section.)

Art Team fund raiser. Donate to this fund to secure resources for the art team to build bigger and better things.

The ImmInst Sunday Evening Update internet broadcast. Donate here to help improve the studio, equipment and various other aspects of this growing and informative news source for the cause.

The first list there are things that it seems could be created by linking them up to the account.

The following are ideas that would be harder to implement, need some work, and need more discussion and consideration.

TEME, AGI for indefinite lifespans, undergraduate research grant and scholarship fund raiser. (why cant this just start as a small program with an imminst drupal page, that brings this institute more needed credit, and funds one project, open bio mind, for now?)

Peer Reviewed Journals. Give to this fund so that we can provide the most relevant peer reviewed journals to a qualified science forum. (would have to agree to set up a science invite only section, and then look at what else might be better to fund for it, or in addition to this. Ie, maybe dedicated research funds as an incentive for it?)

Give to the leeep vision fund raiser. Support this marketing plan that combines a variety of projects with the objective of reaching 200 million people with in 5 years of implementation. (needs a team of people to do research on this and plot out a lot of details, its being done by default little by little through imminst team projects, but it seems a more comprehensive vision will be able to inspire more and larger donations, and time and resources.)

Mprize @ Home, donate to provide materials to future participants. (I think that such a fund might be just what this project needs as a next step to get off the ground, but Im not sure.)

Publish our newsletter/ zine, (seems like it would work for sure if we collaborated with H+, Have some of their writers laison with us, give their magazine an imminst section and then we could help them publish and send it out on the net and in the mail perhaps)

Donate to any of the other organizations here: (page with sens, cel, heales, etc..maybe like, one sponsored special feature rotating through here like once a month?)

Edited by brokenportal, 24 August 2009 - 11:43 PM.

#11 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:42 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that this basic idea has been around the block for the last year or so.

It has not only been around the block, various people and I are continuously developing it.

We'll be posting it more officially in the forums when it is more developed. It is almost there. Its a basic plan, but it is a workable plan for accomplishing the goals with in it. Its a frame work to move forward on some key concepts with.

#12 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Recorders Minute: To get Calibans input on creating adding these things to a page or not.

#13 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:22 PM

A fund raiser page needs

- a list of actual time-limited projects worth mentioning. Many if not all of the above are not current fundraisers.
- a text briefly explaining each project - not just a link
- someone who takes responsibiliuty for keeping an eye on the page to ensure that it is up-to-date

Alternatively, we can of course simply improve the 'donate' page to provide more detail on what the donations will be spend on.

#14 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

A fund raiser page needs

- a list of actual time-limited projects worth mentioning. Many if not all of the above are not current fundraisers.
- a text briefly explaining each project - not just a link
- someone who takes responsibiliuty for keeping an eye on the page to ensure that it is up-to-date

Alternatively, we can of course simply improve the 'donate' page to provide more detail on what the donations will be spend on.

- list worth mentioning, check
- a brief text in addition to a link, check, and Ill improve on the text.
- someone who takes responsibility for keeping on eye on the page, Ill do it and look for another good candidate over time, check,

The only thing I can see that may be an obstacle to this is if we cant get each link to go to a seperate page for entering in payment info, so that it will all show up in a record some place as seperate dedicated items. If we can do that, then if somebody can set it up, or outline for me how to do it, and set up an imminst.org/fundraisers page then I can put in all the data and work with the page.

We can then add in bigger fund giving opportunities in there as we go. I know these are all small potatoes, but it can grow as we go. Down the road we can step back and look at the page and think about what else to add. We can consider hooking the donation tab for donating directly to SENS in there as a major philanthropy draw potential, etc...

Over time it seems this would encourage more people to get more bigger projects together that we can fund raise for. As an example, maybe Agevivo puts a fund raiser together to raise money for a trial year of toxicity studies, I dont know exactly what they may be, but Im sure they will surface.

#15 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:09 PM

We decided that each of us would contribute some text to flesh the list out.

All members are welcome to contribute.

#16 caliban

• 9,150 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

I picked: lifetime donation
let me know what you think.

ImmInst relies on donations from ordinary people for the mainstay of its activities. Membership of the Institute is more than financial support: From appointing leadership, to decisions on policy and major investments in life extension projects, our Members are the ultimate decision making authority.

While other members are asked for a new membership donation each year, lifetime members never loose their membership status, no matter if they remain out of touch or even in cryonic suspension for years (except after a fair hearing in cases of gross misconduct).

For anyone aspiring to conquer aging, the offer of a lifetime membership is a pretty good deal. In fact, the first lifetime members who signed up when ImmInst was founded in 2001 will soon have recouped their investment.

Every single new lifetime membership is a great boon for the Institute. While ‘ordinary’ membership contributions are incredibly valuable to maintain the Institute in existence, new lifetime memberships immediately enable us to think bigger, to move ahead with new advocacy and research initiatives.

There is a lot of idle chatter on the internet – by making a firm contribution, our members stand up to be counted. Lifetime members demonstrate, in the clearest possible way, not just their support for this grass roots team effort, but for the cause of life extension in general.

Please consider joining us as a lifetime member, if you haven't already.
You can join right now, by clicking this link. However, the payment software will take a substantial chunk (3-6%) out of the donation in transfer fees. If you want to make sure that the Institute received the full benefit of your donation, please consider sending a check to:

If you have any questions about membership, you can post them in the community forums, or by email.

#17 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

I originally joined this facebook group but left it because of the incredibly huge amount of spam I was getting from you guys. Same with the other Aubrey de Gray group. If you promise to stop filling my inbox with pointless messages that you could easily post somewhere else, I will join again.

#18 brokenportal

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:05 AM

I picked: lifetime donation
let me know what you think.

I think it looks good. It could probably use a little brushing up, but the concept, and most of it, looks over all good. After thinking about it, I understand the utility of these longer descriptions. From what I can see, it would be too wordy to put descriptions like this all on one page. Maybe that is not what you were going for though.

I was thinking a few lines of expansion for each fund could be made to fit while the page was being made. Now though through the discussions on this, this is what Ive come up with:

Old first three:

New and expanded first three, with intro: ( Red indicates pages that arent done or ready to go yet. All other pages are ready to go, but can still be tweaked.)

ImmInst.org/fundraisers is a list of ways that you can contribute to this cause with your priceless donations. Here in this list you’ll find a variety of options you can choose from to make your money make a difference in the progress of Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans.

Below you will find large dedicated funds, matching offers, fun group efforts, and a host of others. There are even ways to plug directly in to projects of your choice. If you don’t have time/hours to give, or you would rather leave the work to us, then you can donate to a project of your choice. You can choose the project that you think is most likely to help the cause. You can help accelerate that aspect of this cause that you like. Yes you, control the destiny of this cause.

Remember that no donation is too small. This cause needs dollars to make hundreds of dollars, and hundreds of dollars to make thousands of dollars. Above all, your donation inspires more people to take action, and that is priceless. Donate today and make a world of difference.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Donation pages:
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

General: (recommended)
  • General Donation - We use this fund for the next most pressing project from any across the board.
  • Membership Donation - Includes Lifetime, Yearly, or Monthly. Choose a membership donation and reap a host of rewards.
  • 888 for $88 - Pledge $88 here, and once 888 of us do this then we will all make the donation. January 1rst 2010 deadline.

Research:
  • Dedicated Research and Development Fundraiser - Provides funds for things like lab equipment, resources, grants, and getting research initiatives up and running.

Marketing:
  • Dedicated Marketing Fundraiser - Provides funds for grass roots marketing, and as we grow this fund will help to hire more and more professionals like publicists, billboards, etc…
  • Volunteer Prize System - Help to increase the prize incentives for our volunteers by making your contribution here.
  • Art Team - Find out more details about the Art Team and donate here.
  • Vip Outreach Team - Help us purchase items such as books that we send out in our work to attract more VIPs to the cause. VIPs lend us added legitimacy that helps the cause excel.
  • Folding at Home Team Distributed Computing Prize System - By keeping this prize system funded, we keep our rise to the top of this famed Stanford protein research program strong.

Special:
  • Immortality Institute Members Backup Cryonics Fund - Make a donation here to help show support for members.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Donate to affiliates that are working with unlimited lifespans:
  • Mprize
  • M Foundation 300
  • Sens million for $100
  • Sens 100k for $100
  • CEL lobby work
  • Longevity Meme news outlet
  • CAR conservative meme
  • MaxLife Foundation

Then we could link each one of those titles before the dash like "General Donation -" to a drupal page with their full description. What do you guys think? Or, all on the same page?

Here is my submission for the ImmInst 888 for $88 donation entry: (changed from 1,000 for $100)

*Donate Here*

Immortality Institute 888 for $88 Fundraiser

December 31, 2010 deadline.

The Immortality Institutes 888 for $88 is modeled after SENS Foundations 1 million for $100. (link to the sens version of this that is proposed to also be in this list) This is a tremendous opportunity for any indefinite life extensionist to be a part of a $70,000+ fund raising opportunity.

What better way to inspire more action can you think of than to help this fund raiser inch closer toward the 888 person mark? By entering this fund raiser, you turn your $88, in to over $70,000. By entering this fund raiser you inspire 887 more people, and then some, to take action for this cause. By entering this fund raiser, you help the cause continue to move toward higher and higher goals.

You are all key building stones in the future of the Immortality Institute. We all collectively are the Immortality Institute. This $70,000+ will go a long ways in the plans that we are continuously developing for the marketing and research of this cause.

The deadline for this is November 1rst 2010. If the goal is not reached by 23:00 gmt on that day, then everybody on the list will be informed and nobody will be obligated by the agreement to make the donation. If 888 pledges is reached by, or any day before that time then everybody on the list will be informed and we will all then make the donation with in the next 10 standard 24 hour calendar days.

If you have any questions about the ImmInst 888 for $88, you can post them in the community forums, or by email.

*Donate Here*

Here is my submission for the Art Team dedicated fund entry:

*Donate Here*

Immortality Institute Art Team Fundraiser

Please consider making a dedicated donation to the ImmInst Art Team. This is a volunteer team over seen by the Art Team Project Leaders, and Board of Directors. Members of the team are informed that they can make proposals for projects to request funds for. The Project Leaders then run this through the Board of Directors and they decide whether or not the proposal is sound and for the mission. You can also choose to have Art Team members pitch their proposals directly to you by adding your name to the list at this link: (can create a topic for the list in the art team forum, put it in drupal, or find another spot for it)

The Art Team has created flyers, banners, logos, drawings, paintings, bumper stickers, fund raiser designs, general mechandise logo designs, moving graphics, some live art shows, and a few other things for us so far. Funds will allow the team, and the cause, to move on to bigger and better things.

Some broad examples of things we can use Art Team funds for include designing and paying for media outreach like bill boards or magazines, paying for extensive work in video editing software to create montages and short commercials for the cause, or buying a poster printer. Commercials would go in places like youtube, on websites, and, when enough funds are collected and the time is right, we will be entering the arena of television commercials.

Unique examples include commissioning the creation of a perpetual calendar, or paying for a member to have home internet access so as to be able to put in more hours for the team. We will also be able to do things like hire people for specific jobs where need be, and we will be able to entice an even greater variety of artists to join.

Donations from valuable contributors like you, will allow us to make these things happen sooner rather than later. Of course, as we all know, with this cause, time is of the essence. Thank you for considering giving to this fund. This cause is set to succeed with the contributions of every priceless contributor like you.

If you have any questions about Art Team donations, you can post them in the community forums, or by email.

*Donate Here*

project underway, continued here: http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?sho...=39034&st=0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users