- - - - -

Why does Aubrey De Grey drink beer?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 FNC

• 152 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

Hey all,

I was recently watching a doc about Aubrey, made in 07. http://video.google....d...1972&hl=en#

Aside from the fact that the documentary presents Aubrey as a conspiring fiend with an ulterior motive who has no scientific basis or evidence
for SENS...it also depicts Aubrey drinking lots of beer. For an aside, someone also says that Aubrey was once more positive and passionate -
in the days when he was researching the biological processes of aging, and has since turned into an angrier person, the result of no one
helping to fund aging research. To say the least, this documentary was particularly distressing, and inevitably placed several doubts in my mind,
which consequently require clarification.

From a lifestyle perspective, Aubrey seems to indicate that 'beer works for him' and if I am correct, alludes to a gene of some sort.

Can anyone clarify this, and perhaps suggest why he drinks so much of it; and why he can?

Thanks
Fabien

Edited by Fabien, 16 October 2009 - 10:56 AM.

#2 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

Because it makes him feel like he needs to feel?

#3 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

So he can interact with normal minds ;), oh ok-because he likes the feeling of it :) Also, Aubrey's take on CR is that such measures that are mildly depriving one of certain aspects of life, in the end only cause a small boost percentage wise on life--the real goal is to end aging. I'm just postulating, he is currently quite busy with SENS-doubt he'll weigh in on this thread, but he certainly knows the best places to get quality brew in Cambridge!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:07 PM

He doesn't drink all that much beer for a Brit.

#5 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:17 PM

I think he does actually, I'm living in England now and they don't drink as much as the stereotype. Aubrey, does start drinking at lunch and throughout the day, a bit rare. He functions well though on beer, has a high metabolism and doesn't get "drunk" with the rate he consumes.

#6 FNC

• Topic Starter
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

Also, Aubrey's take on CR is that such measures that are mildly depriving one of certain aspects of life, in the end only cause a small boost percentage wise on life--the real goal is to end aging. I'm just postulating, he is currently quite busy with SENS-doubt he'll weigh in on this thread, but he certainly knows the best places to get quality brew in Cambridge!

I believe that the above answers my actual question, which should have been my initial question. Why isn't Aubrey de Grey partaking in activities to optimize his quality of life in the here and now, given that alcohol consumption is often attached to a string of ailments. The documentary cites, however, that Aubrey is in very good health, this is proven after having taken several tests at that facility somewhere in Arizona.

Thanks for your replies.

#7 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:56 PM

Yes, I did the tests at the same facility in '06 ;) http://www.kronoslab...com/dotnetnuke/

#8 FNC

• Topic Starter
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:04 PM

Yes, I did the tests at the same facility in '06 ;) http://www.kronoslab...com/dotnetnuke/

Nice, how were the results? If you are happy to divulge that is.

#9 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

So he can interact with normal minds

That's the excuse that I use.

And really, who has the time for solid meals during work hours? Beer is the perfect source for Calories and nutrients without all that life-shortening protein. If God didn't want me to drink beer, he wouldn't have placed a bar right across the street from my side of campus.

#10 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:38 PM

So he can interact with normal minds

That's the excuse that I use.

And really, who has the time for solid meals during work hours? Beer is the perfect source for Calories and nutrients without all that life-shortening protein. If God didn't want me to drink beer, he wouldn't have placed a bar right across the street from my side of campus.

If it was good for the Egyptians while building pyramids ad many other cultures, after a hard days work, then it is good enough for me. I think beer is far better than all the high fructose soda pop and fake juice and insidious untested supplement drinks out there in the market. Beer has a proven track record of being a part of the building civilizations for over 10 thousand years. Why should we give up a good thing?

I may have to adopt that excuse too Shep, it's a keeper. ;)

#11 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

An English diet of beer (uridine) + fish 'n' chips (DHA) after a traditional English breakfast with eggs (choline) will supercharge your brain:
http://www.fasebj.or.../fj.08-112425v1

#12 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Its not his fault! People keep buying them for him! Perhaps it shows that he really believes in the engineering concept for life extension and anything he does to damage his body will be fixable in the near future. Or perhaps he knows he's doing damage and is using it as motivation to focus on his work.

Of course in some parts of the world beer is considered food.

#13 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

Fabien this is completely unrelated but I thought I should mention your mayor, Lisa Scaffidi just visited my school yesterday.

#14 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

...Say, for what were hop-yards meant,
Or why was Burton built on Trent?
Oh many a peer of England brews
Livelier liquor than the Muse,
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.
Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think:
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:35 PM

Beer is proof that God loves us. -Benjamin Franklin

#16 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

Because SENS is the only realistic way to achieve meaningful life extension.

#17 FNC

• Topic Starter
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:12 AM

Fabien this is completely unrelated but I thought I should mention your mayor, Lisa Scaffidi just visited my school yesterday.

Really? What was she up to in that neck of the woods?

If it was good for the Egyptians while building pyramids ad many other cultures, after a hard days work, then it is good enough for me. I think beer is far better than all the high fructose soda pop and fake juice and insidious untested supplement drinks out there in the market. Beer has a proven track record of being a part of the building civilizations for over 10 thousand years. Why should we give up a good thing?

Didn't I read somewhere that Egyptian life expectancy was somewhere between 18 and 21 years old?

Because SENS is the only realistic way to achieve meaningful life extension.

Nonetheless, do you not think that a Kurzweil oriented approach would be beneficial? In the event that the exponential growth of information technology experiences a bump in the road.

Edited by Fabien, 17 October 2009 - 05:12 AM.

#18 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:37 AM

Nonetheless, do you not think that a Kurzweil oriented approach would be beneficial? In the event that the exponential growth of information technology experiences a bump in the road.

I agree on that point. I was only parroting back what I believe Aubrey stated in a past interview. He isn't a big fan of supplements or a stringent diet and exercise routine.

#19 marainein

• 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:38 AM

For an aside, someone also says that Aubrey was once more positive and passionate - 
in the days when he was researching the biological processes of aging, and has since turned into an angrier person, the result of no one
helping to fund aging research. To say the least, this documentary was particularly distressing, and inevitably placed several doubts in my mind,

which consequently require clarification.

I think he comes across as fairly positive and passionate (especially for someone who believes that every day SENS is delayed, 100 000 lives are needlessly lost) - he also seems coherent and intelligent, and shows little sign of being affected by alcohol.

The bias in the last minute of that documentary is a disgrace - the documentary maker should have allowed Aubrey to reply to those allegations, or simply left it out. Aubrey replied to it here 

Edited by marainein, 17 October 2009 - 08:40 AM.

#20 FNC

• Topic Starter
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

The bias in the last minute of that documentary is a disgrace - the documentary maker should have allowed Aubrey to reply to those allegations, or simply left it out. Aubrey replied to it here

Thanks for the clarification, and the link to Aubrey's reply, it has cleared things up somewhat.

#21 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

I am so sick and tired of everyone referring to GOD without providing us with the referenced source. This thread is really going down hill without the presence of elijah3, who, if here, would have provided us with all the appropriate refencing....and then some.

#22 FNC

• Topic Starter
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

I am so sick and tired of everyone referring to GOD without providing us with the referenced source. This thread is really going down hill without the presence of elijah3, who, if here, would have provided us with all the appropriate refencing....and then some.

I was going to call them out on it, but I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and trust that they were going for a figurative and metaphorical meaning as opposed to the literal. Hehe :-)

#23 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

Beer is good. (1)

1. Jesus told me so and my friend heard it. Peer-reviewed.

#24 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:48 PM

Beer is good. (1)

1. Jesus told me so and my friend heard it. Peer-reviewed.

#25 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

Lol.. I guess he just likes booze..

#26 SoulTech

• 45 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

I just watched this whole documentary. At one point he said he was working on his third pint before 10:10 am, and that was fine for him. I have to be skeptical. Surely you would at least develop an unhealthy dependency, even if it didn't noticeably interfere with your functioning? People say he seems plenty lucid, and I agree, but I think a fairly drunk person can be articulate. It isn't like he was solving differential equations.

Anyway, he said he had the right genes for it. How do you know if you have the right genes?

#27 FNC

• Topic Starter
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

I just watched this whole documentary. At one point he said he was working on his third pint before 10:10 am, and that was fine for him. I have to be skeptical. Surely you would at least develop an unhealthy dependency, even if it didn't noticeably interfere with your functioning? People say he seems plenty lucid, and I agree, but I think a fairly drunk person can be articulate. It isn't like he was solving differential equations.

Anyway, he said he had the right genes for it. How do you know if you have the right genes?

Thanks, this basically comes back to my original question. Unfortunately, many have seen this as an opportunity to veer away from it, hopefully someone can provide an educated response.

#28 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:32 PM

I agree on that point. I was only parroting back what I believe Aubrey stated in a past interview. He isn't a big fan of supplements or a stringent diet and exercise routine.

Yea that's the one thing I don't like about him, he is a cynic.

But who needs beer when you have wine? A nice well aged french wine will do for nice occasions.

Posted Image

#29 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

I don't think Aubrey is a cynic at all, with what he is doing for life extension--quite the opposite (about supplements, and CR he is realistic--along the lines of realism he is signed up for cryonics in case it will work, because it is likely, not impossible--but likely that humans will not end aging in his lifetime).

cyn·i·cal (sn-kl)
adj.
1. Believing or showing the belief that people are motivated chiefly by base or selfish concerns; skeptical of the motives of others: a cynical dismissal of the politician's promise to reform the campaign finance system.
2. Selfishly or callously calculating: showed a cynical disregard for the safety of his troops in his efforts to advance his reputation.
3. Negative or pessimistic, as from world-weariness: a cynical view of the average voter's intelligence.
4. Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity: cynical laughter.

#30 Ron

• 100 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

He probably just meant he is not prone to weight gain. I rationalize a lot of things this way, too. :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users