- - - - -

Article: PDE4 Inhibitors counteracts sleep deprivation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

http://www.scienceda...91026125401.htm

ScienceDaily (Oct. 27, 2009) — A research collaboration led by biologists and neuroscientists at the University of Pennsylvania has found a molecular pathway in the brain that is the cause of cognitive impairment due to sleep deprivation. Just as important, the team believes that the cognitive deficits caused by sleep deprivation, such as an inability to focus, learn or memorize, may be reversible by reducing the concentration of a specific enzyme that builds up in the hippocampus of the brain.

It is known that sleep deprivation can have cognitive consequences, including learning and memory deficits, but the mechanisms by which sleep deprivation affects brain function remain unknown. A particular challenge has been to develop approaches to reverse the impact of sleep deprivation on cognitive function.

The findings, reported in this week's issue of the journal Nature, could present a new approach to treating the memory and learning deficits of insomnia. A molecular mechanism by which brief sleep deprivation alters hippocampal function is now identified in mice, involving the impairment of cyclic-AMP- and protein-kinase-A-dependent forms of synaptic plasticity, or readiness for cognitive function.

Ted Abel, principal investigator and professor of biology in the School of Arts and Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania, led the international team of researchers that found that sleep deprivation in mice affects an important molecular pathway in the hippocampus, a region of the brain known to be important for memory and learning. The study showed that mice deprived of sleep had increased levels of the enzyme PDE4 and reduced levels of the molecule cAMP, the latter of which is crucial in forming new synaptic connections in the hippocampus, a physiological hallmark of learning.

Researchers then treated the mice with PDE inhibitors, which rescued the sleep deprivation-induced deficits in cAMP signaling, synaptic plasticity and hippocampus dependent memory. This reversal also helped to rescue deficits in synaptic connections in the hippocampus and therefore counteract some of the memory consequences of sleep deprivation.

"Millions of people regularly obtain insufficient sleep," Abel said. "Our work has identified a treatment in mice that can reverse the cognitive impact of sleep deprivation. Further, our work identifies specific molecular changes in neurons caused by sleep deprivation, and future work on this target protein promises to reveal novel therapeutic approaches to treat the cognitive deficits that accompany sleep disturbances seen in sleep apnea, Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia."

The study was supported by the National Institutes of Health, the Human Frontier Science Program, the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research, a Medical Research Council (U.K.) grant, a European Union grant, the Fondation Leducq and a U.K. Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council training grant.

The study was conducted by Christopher G. Vecsey, Mathieu Wimmer and Ted Huang of the Neuroscience Graduate Group and Department of Biology at Penn; George S. Baillie, Kim M. Brown and Miles D. Houslay of the Department of Neuroscience and Molecular Pharmacology at the University of Glasgow; Abel, Devan Jaganath, Robbert Havekes and Andrew Daniels of Penn's Department of Biology; and Xiang-Yao Li, Giannina Descalzi, Susan S. Kim, Tao Chen, Yu-Ze Shang and Min Zhuo of the Department of Physiology at the University of Toronto.

http://www.upenn.edu...cle.php?id=1745

http://www.nature.co...ature08488.html

list of PDE4 Inhibitors:

http://en.wikipedia....erase_inhibitor

Mesembrine - herb/supplement
Rolipram - drug
Ibudilast - drug
Piclamilast - drug

Edited by prophets, 27 October 2009 - 03:28 PM.

#2 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

could a mod merge the "effects of insomnia on the brain 'cured'" thread and this one together? PDE-4 inhibition is something we rarely talk about on these forums save for a comment on rolipram here and there.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

I talked to someone a while back who e-mailed me a whole list of these months back. I can try pulling this if anyone's interested.

At the moment, I remember hearing about how mesembrine is a pde-4 inhibitor...

Edited by yowza, 29 October 2009 - 12:18 AM.

#4 Pike

• 517 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:59 AM

I talked to someone a while back who e-mailed me a whole list of these months back. I can try pulling this if anyone's interested.

At the moment, I remember hearing about how mesembrine is a pde-4 inhibitor...

please do post it up! the more pde-4 inhibitors we know about, the more we can spread some knowledge about it. up to this point, i assumed that there would be no commercially available pde-4 inhibitor until a long time from now, as most are either in development or are research tools. i'm usually pretty up to date when it comes to herbal supplements, but had no idea about sceletium until now.

#5 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:37 PM

All right, I'll post some fragments from the conversation I had. Hopefully, this person won't mind. Keep in mind these quotes are part of a broader conversation; I just attached the parts most specific to PDE inhibition.

Quotes from correspondent (talking about his deprenyl experience; this is just a piece of a broader subjective report after taking it; it's not a research based claim-->as you can see the conversation gravitates towards PDE inhibition simply since this person felt that taking caffeine, which can serve as a pde inhibitor, while on deprenyl seemed to work well---you can try and ignore the deprenyl part since I know that's off topic:

There is a synergic effect with caffiene - I think it may but do to PDE inhibiton by caffiene.

I just got mesembrine (PDE4 inhibitor) from Sceletium tortuosum. (I do not believe that is a SSRI) This is basically rolipram, and increases CREB by keeping cAMP levels high in activated synapses. This may synergize with selegiline because caffiene does this also as a nonselective PDE inhibitor...

A quote from myself:

PDE Inhibition:

The PDE inhibition sounds interesting. Drinking a cup of coffee or non-selective PDE inhibitor could be a good indication if this has an effect at all with Deprenyl. For those that feel horny while on Deprenyl (which I definitely don't for some reason) could probably take a PDE5 inhibitor (such as the ones listed at www.iron-dragon.com). However, maybe PDE4 is the best bet?

I'm very interested in trying out mesembrine. I was under the impression that it did function as an SSRI to a point?

Is there a good source (none of this cheap crappy stuff) that supplies this in higher concentrations?

Putting the quote above into context:
-I mentioned PDE5 inhibition since it can increase sex drive, I was just guessing that combining this with deprenyl would make someone hornier--the PDE4 inhibition I really don't know a whole lot about so I just asked if it's similar to PDE5----as for caffeine, one of the mechanisms behind caffeine is PDE inhibition.

A quote from correspondent:

About PDE inhibitors.... My research lab studies CREB. CREB is the transcription factor that is needs to be activated for anything to be remembered past 3 hours. (late LTP) It binds to the CRE element of DNA and makes the proteins necessary to strengthen a synapse long term. I am going to attach a wonderful review paper I found detailing possible mechanisms for cognitive enhancement. I am going to research for more drugs that effect each of the pathways mentioned in this paper, you should also. It also explains some about possible CREB enhancement, and best of all has nice cartoons of the mechanisms. The person I work for is actually cited in this paper. We have CREB overexpressing flies that can learn the equivalent of 7 trials of a control fly in 1 trial of memory training. CREB is in most cells so it is hard to increase it without messing up everything, but PDE4 is the leading drug candidate to directly affect CREB in memory formation. a LTP cascade ends with cAMP increasing CREB, PDE4 inhibits cAMP in memory neurons, so when you inhibit PDE4, there is more CREB, and more protein transcription making stronger synapeses. PDE may be what erases things from short term memory by inhibiting CREB in weak synapses as time goes on. Problem is cAMP and CREB have thousands of other uses. The person who runs my lab is the cofounder of helicon therapeutics http://www.heliconth...e=Drug_Programs
although my lab is separate from them. Another assay of CREB enhancing drugs has been done, and there are some novel drug mechanisms besides PDE4,(300,000 drugs were tested for CREB activity in vitro) I am actually going to be testing some of them in fruit flies to test viability and in vivo.

now PDE5... instead of cAMP, those are working cGMP which seems to be working more short term in the memory consolidation. We are actually going to be doing some experiments this summer attempting to discover cGMP's role by using PKG inhibitors. I'll also test them on myself... Sildenafil has been shown to increase memory but does not last that long, Tadalafil lasts much longer but has been untested for memory....

With mesembrine, the only evidence for SSRI is a single assay is in a patent, and there is a paper by someone who does organic chemistry making PDE4s that details how mesembrine is a PDE4 inhibitor and by moving groups around you can make it way more stronger. The behavioral effects of mesembrine are that of PDE4 inhibitors, not of that in SSRIs.I think there is insufficient evidence for it being a SSRI.

I am going to test just oral sceletium tortuosum at first, then maybe test more pure mesembrine, there are a couple sources but much more expensive
http://www.ktbotanic...ade-p-6930.html

The paper that is mentioned in the quote above, I have attached to this post (you can download it by simply clicking on it; it'll automatically show up as an adobe document). There are a number of labs around the Madison, WI area that look into cognitive enhancers that this paper holds relevance to (helicontherapeutics being the established one since they're actively running clinical trials on a number of products; although, I'm sure other research labs are also studying various substances that work via that pathways that are outlined in this paper too).

It would take a particular type of researcher to really understand the aspects behind this paper. It's broader in scope than just PDE inhibition; it's mainly about developing new forms of cognitive enhancers for the market.

Pike, please let me know if you'd like to see more. There's abit more things that I can post...

Attached Files

Edited by yowza, 30 October 2009 - 12:21 AM.

#6 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

Okay one PDE4 inhibitor is Kanna...

Its got other stuff going on in their as well .. with sedation being a side.. Not good.

Ibudilast - dangerous.

#7 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

Wait this is getting out of hand....

Were these mice subject to an IQ test by any chance?

I thought so...

Romipram I will leave for research use only

#8 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

The study that was posted by "prophets" was just a breif overview. If you want to try and see if there's more to find out about that particular study (which I'm sure isn't the only one out there), feel free to do so and report back?

Anyway, the person I talked to provided plenty of compelling evidence to back-up PDE4 as a cognition enhancer. It's just finding the right kind of chemical to exploit this property. I probably posted too much in my previous post for anyone to adequately reply to it, however, it would be nice to hear someone's feedback however breif that may be...?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:25 AM

D020 The polyphenol curcumin inhibits in vitro angiogenesis and cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases (PDEs) activities similarly to PDE inhibitors

A. Abusninaa, T. Keravisa and C. Lugniera

aGilbert laustrait, faculté de pharmacie, Illkirch, France

Available online 17 April 2009.

VEGF, by stimulating endothelial cells to migrate, proliferate and differentiate, plays a major role in angiogenesis. Increase in intracellular cAMP is known to inhibit basal as well as VEGF-induced endothelial cell proliferation. Cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases (PDEs) play a key role in signal transduction by hydrolyzing specifically cyclic nucleotides.

Our team has previously reported that PDE2 and PDE4 up-regulations (activity, protein and mRNA) in human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs) are implicated in VEGF-induced angiogenesis and that inhibition of PDE2 and PDE4 isozyme activities prevents the development of angiogenesis by increasing cAMP level, by inhibiting cell proliferation, cell migration and cell cycle progression (Favot et al., Thromb Haemost 2003, 90: 334 and 2004, 92: 634). On another hand, we have shown that polyphenols inhibit PDEs (Orallo et al., Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 2004, 370: 452; Planta Med 2005, 71: 99; Alvarez et al., Br J Pharmacol. 2006, 147: 269).

The polyphenol curcumin, isolated from the plant Curcuma longa, is present in curry powder, and is known to have anti-infl ammatory, anti-oxidant and anti-cancer properties. The anti-carcinogenic properties of curcumin have been demonstrated in animals by its ability to inhibit tumor initiation and tumor progression. Therefore, this study was aimed to investigate the participation of PDEs in anti-angiogenic properties of curcumin.

The effect of curcumin on PDE activities was assessed by the determination of IC50 values on the five isozymes PDE1-PDE5 purified from vascular tissues. Curcumin was able to inhibit PDE1, PDE2, PDE3 and PDE4 with IC50 values in the range of 10 to20 μm, and PDE5 with an IC50 value of35 μm.
Curcumin at a concentration of 10 μm inhibited both basal and VEGF-stimulated HUVEC proliferation (58 % and 54 % respectively, P = 0.003). Furthermore, 10 μm curcumin inhibited significantly (52 %, P = 0.001) VEGF-induced HUVEC migration similarly to the selective PDE2 inhibitor (0.1 μm BAY-60-7550, 69 %, P = 0.003) and the selective PDE4 inhibitor (10 μm rolipram, 41 %, P = 0.006)).

These results, showing for the first time that curcumin inhibits PDE activities, suggest that curcumin present in food might inhibit angiogenesis at endothelial cell level by inhibiting PDE activities.

What doesn't Curcumin do?
  • like x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users