Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Sitting is bad

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

Physiologists analyzing obesity, heart disease, and diabetes found that the act of sitting shuts down the circulation of a fat-absorbing enzyme called lipase. They found that standing up engages muscles and promotes the distribution of lipase, which prompts the body to process fat and cholesterol, independent of the amount of time spent exercising. They also found that standing up uses blood glucose and may discourage the development of diabetes.
http://www.scienceda...your_health.htm

#2 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:22 AM

I'm standing as I type at my laptop.

#3 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

Another study from Australia found similar results:
http://www.latimes.c...0,6667265.story

-"Even if someone has a healthy body weight, sitting for long periods of time still has an unhealthy influence on their blood sugar and blood fats," said lead researcher Professor David Dunstan, from the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute in Victoria, Australia.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

Ok I just kicked my office chair off to the side and set up my desk for standing up. It takes a little tweaking to get comfortable, but I think I prefer it to sitting. I'm a pacer anyway.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

I suppose sitting at a computer has similar effects as watching TV. I wouldn't mind having an adjustable desk to periodically sit or stand while I "work". Funny how work used to mean physical labor more than anything else. Now we are all sitting around typing.

#6 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

Y'all are standing at your computers? That's too easy. I sit, but without the chair.

#7 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

Its also bad because it causes muscular problems:

http://www.eatmoveim...y-dysfunctions/

#8 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:26 PM

Having an inflatable ball would also be preferable to a chair, but I don't think it's as good as standing (I suggest it for those without adjustable desks.) Something like this might be better http://www.officecha...ball-chair.html, but from personal experience standing is more energizing than the balls. Even better though is walking constantly during work:

http://www.engadget....ll-workstation/
http://www.trekdesk.com/

The doctor advocating it is also selling it with a price tag of $500 plus the treadmill, so skepticism is warranted, but I think most people would agree that they sit too much at work (assuming an office job.) Maybe if the price comes down more offices will use it. Standing or inflatable balls seem like a cheap solution to the slow rot of our bodies/minds/spirits from sitting all day. JLL's suggestion is the best if you are a superhuman :)

And for andcodotal evidence, I'll refer to a partial Office Space quote, "Michael, we don't have a lot of time on this earth! We weren't meant to spend it this way. Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements."

#9 Quasar

• 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

By far the best chair to ensure correct spinal posture and therefore minimal muscle strain is this one:
Posted Image
By sitting without leaning back, and having the knees lower than the pelvis, the spine is forced to remain straight and allows one to sit comfortably. I have one and use it at the computer, at the table and so on.

Edited by Quasar, 12 January 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#10 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

I'm glad I adopted the habit over a decade ago of reading while walking on a treadmill, I just love to read-and can't stand to sit for long periods of time (abhor long distance car trips or flights). I can only focus on a computer while writing for a few hours at a time without having to get up and be active. For people who can not use a treadmill/desk, or have an inflatable ball--I hope they can at least get up and walk during their breaks. My husband had a habit of jogging around the office buildings around his work when he had a desk job.
  • like x 1

#11 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:12 AM

Quasar, do you have a link to where to buy the chair or a name for it?

By far the best chair to ensure correct spinal posture and therefore minimal muscle strain is this one:
Posted Image
By sitting without leaning back, and having the knees lower than the pelvis, the spine is forced to remain straight and allows one to sit comfortably. I have one and use it at the computer, at the table and so on.

#12 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:27 AM

There are some companies that have given their employees the option of using a treadmill desk..

http://www.google.co...QtNbsF4DB7BMfvg

Yeah I think this is one reason why I always preferred waiting tables and bartending over a desk job.

#13 Esoparagon

• 227 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:03 AM

I don't know... every animal rests...

Edited by Esoparagon, 14 January 2010 - 04:04 AM.

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:15 AM

I don't know... every animal rests...

Yeah, but mostly they sleep, which we also do. When they're awake, they probably move around a lot. People with desk jobs may sit in one place for hours on end. There's nothing like that in our evolutionary past.

#15 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:29 AM

A very interesting topic. I spend a LOT of time sitting due to a back injury, so standing for long periods simply isn't an option. I'm wondering how much taking breaks to stand up for a few minutes would help (mostly muscular, I'm guessing), and how much of the lipase problem depends on total time spent sitting.

Quasar, do you have a link to where to buy the chair or a name for it?

Posted Image

These are called Kneeling Chairs. A great idea, been aware of them for years but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Here's some more info:

And some places to buy:

#16 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:22 AM

where can I buy the treadmill that goes along with the desk?

#17 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

where can I buy the treadmill that goes along with the desk?

A physiatrist recommended I use a drafting table; one sits on a stool and alternates this with standing while working. Draftsmen who work this way weigjh less than other desk workers, have less heart disease.

#18 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

You can pick up treadmills for free often from freecycle, but also quite cheap from gumtree, craigslist-etc.

A draft table is a great idea. Anyone have suggestions for how to type while standing? I've had problems with being able to type while standing, and using an adjustable height draft table might be the solution.

#19 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

At the company I work at, all of our desks (which are more like tables) have a crank handle underneath them which causes the telescoping legs to extend or retract. I write software so I sit 8+ hours a day and then 3+ hours every night when I get home. As of late I've really noticed it in my lower back ( and I'm only 23!) as of late. I think this may prompt me to adjust my desk up and see if I can snag a stool from somewhere. I've always found stools to be more comfortable anyways (makes it much more natural to alternate in between standing and sitting when your legs get tired). I'll probably take some flakk for it as I'll be like 2 feet higher than everyone else but whatevs.

#20 Philosophicus

• 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:42 AM

It may sound obvious, but the fundamental problem here is that the computers are not advanced enough to communicate with, as we communicate with each other. Remember we do not have to sit to teach, do experiments with, or learn from other humans. So (obvious) solution is to bring the human computer interfaces to our level. A possible solution is to fuse existing voice, gesture and expression based interfaces and develop the overall system to a level which will free us from stationary desk jobs.

#21 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

Here is another alternative I found. It would be cheaper than a treadmill, but probably easier to use a computer on (some DIY work required)

Attached File  DIYbike.jpg   637.53KB   28 downloads

Ha! Also found a WOW player who did this and lost 41 lbs in 90 days.
http://www.joystiq.c...lbs-in-90-days/

#22 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:12 AM

Here is another alternative I found. It would be cheaper than a treadmill, but probably easier to use a computer on (some DIY work required)

Attached File  DIYbike.jpg   637.53KB   28 downloads

Ha! Also found a WOW player who did this and lost 41 lbs in 90 days.
http://www.joystiq.c...lbs-in-90-days/

It would have been even better if the stationary bike the guy used in the article wasn't just like a difficult chair but an input device where, when he pedals the character moves at a similar speed.

#23 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

Cheaper and more easier to put in a work place: pedals under your desk, ranging in price from $20-over $75

Attached File  Pedals.jpg   19.93KB   3 downloads

http://www.google.co...ved=0CCgQrQQwAw

Edited by DairyProducts, 22 January 2010 - 03:32 PM.

#24 openeyes

• 120 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

Here's another article saying about the same thing as the LA Times piece:

http://online.wsj.co...mostpop_emailed

Edited by openeyes, 23 January 2010 - 04:18 PM.

#25 sdsgec

• 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

How to do you approach this issue if your job depends on precision. When I'm manipulating images, it's a little hard to be exercising.

Otherwise, standing could be ok but I'm worried about vein issues. I already wear Vibram FiveFingers for exercise, so I'm building the muscles in my feet. I have noticed the veins around my ankles have increased though - not sure if this is a walking on hard surfaces thing or even if it's good or bad. Any opinions?

I wonder if there's some kind of special surface which could reduce the impact of gravity on our joints while we endeavor to pace as we work. Trampoline??

I've also tried using a mechanical horse (iGallop) while watching TV but I suspect it wasn't doing my hips much good, and as for while I'm working... not an option.

For the moment I use an exercise ball but it does get awfully sticky in the summer. Someone needs to get a wetsuit covering in production for it.

I do like the idea of getting more voice commands integrated into my workflow so as to reduce my dependence on keyboard + mouse.

And also maybe get some kind of pet. A bit of a distraction, but instead of coming home and plonking, you're forced to take the dog for a walk, get food ready etc. Counter-productive if you're on the career warpath, but I guess if we strive live longer we've got some spare time.

#26 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

I made this treadmill workstation about two weeks ago. I read and write most of the day most days of the week. I only walk at 1.5-2.5 mph most of the time, but I try to get in 2 hours a day on it during the week. I did this less for adding in exercise and more for not being sedentary. One of the best decisions I've ever made. I feel much better, will probably be leaner and healthier for it over time, maintain bone density better (I don't run), and have already slept much better since using it.

I have this treadmill in a room with a t.v., so I'll watch movies or the news or whatever while reading stuff like this forum. It beats sitting on the couch. The platform for the keyboard and mouse can be easily removed, and the platform for the laptop (laptop not in the picture) is just about at eye level to reduce neck strain, and this platform can fold up flat against the wall. I did this since my fiancee likes to run and doesn't want that stuff in the way.

Attached Files

#27 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:53 AM

Otherwise, standing could be ok but I'm worried about vein issues. I already wear Vibram FiveFingers for exercise, so I'm building the muscles in my feet. I have noticed the veins around my ankles have increased though - not sure if this is a walking on hard surfaces thing or even if it's good or bad. Any opinions?

I wonder if there's some kind of special surface which could reduce the impact of gravity on our joints while we endeavor to pace as we work. Trampoline??

I've also tried using a mechanical horse (iGallop) while watching TV but I suspect it wasn't doing my hips much good, and as for while I'm working... not an option.

For standing long hours, there are anti-fatigue mats. I've never tried them, but apparently they are a big industry for chefs and industrial workers. It's not moving, but it's better than sitting.
http://housewares.ab...fatiguemats.htm

#28 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:57 AM

Here is a DIY desk treadmill site: http://www.treadmill-desk.com/
The first page isn't that great but it gets helpful in the earlier pages.

#29 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:32 AM

It may sound obvious, but the fundamental problem here is that the computers are not advanced enough to communicate with, as we communicate with each other. Remember we do not have to sit to teach, do experiments with, or learn from other humans. So (obvious) solution is to bring the human computer interfaces to our level. A possible solution is to fuse existing voice, gesture and expression based interfaces and develop the overall system to a level which will free us from stationary desk jobs.

Extroverts may appreciate such a system but introverts would just find it tiring. I'm pretty surprised more employers aren't advocating treadmill desks in their workplaces yet.

#30 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:34 AM

Can anyone comment on potential negatives to spending large amounts of time walking on a treadmill which no doubt creates not-completely-natural movement biomechanics/pattern/muscle&joint forces (compared to natural walking obviously). Back when I had no clue about exercise I did a lot of (fast) treadmill running and it was always a very strange feeling in the legs/biomechanics when hopping off after and trying to run normally. Could possibly add up with years of slow but sustained use? Or very possibly could this still be a net-positive over the equivalent time spent sedentary which is bad bad bad?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users