Photo

Immortality covnersation in Stargate Universe episode 8

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:45 AM

I was just watching episode 8 of the new (first) season.

They were in a life threatening situation and they started to talk about dying.
They said how they realized not existing was terrifying and never go through that fear or used to it.

One of them said he thought he will just get used to it, the other one said "but you don't"

That made me really relate!

One of them said the reason he is out there is because the ancient ones found a way to leave their bodies and become immortal consciousness, this is what he wants, this is why he is out there.

That was SO Imminst.

The other guy asked him "Do you think it is possible?" and he said "I know it is"

At the same time it kinda stroke fear in me, how "just the same we are" and how they all just died. (not they them, but people in general)

#2 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

Cool episode!

We have biotechnology, nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, etc that have a good chance of defeating death in our lifetime, worst case scenario we have cryonics.

However there are three things any life extensionist should be worried about:

1. they die in an accident and their brain is destroyed
2. they die somewhere that no can get to them or they can't get to Alcor or CI
3. their family or someone decides to bury them instead of cryopreserve them

Worst, worst case scenario I guess one's last option would be to preserve some of their DNA and save as many of their memories and stuff so they can be cloned and simulated as best as possible (like Kurzweil's father).

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,077 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

I have heard this new Stargate is pretty decent Sci-Fi. Good to hear about the immortalist theme in this particular episode. I might have to start watching TV again.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:20 AM

Worst, worst case scenario I guess one's last option would be to preserve some of their DNA and save as many of their memories and stuff so they can be cloned and simulated as best as possible (like Kurzweil's father).

O_o that doesn't sound like being you though.

#5 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

I was just watching episode 8 of the new (first) season.

They were in a life threatening situation and they started to talk about dying.
They said how they realized not existing was terrifying and never go through that fear or used to it.

One of them said he thought he will just get used to it, the other one said "but you don't"

That made me really relate!

One of them said the reason he is out there is because the ancient ones found a way to leave their bodies and become immortal consciousness, this is what he wants, this is why he is out there.

That was SO Imminst.

The other guy asked him "Do you think it is possible?" and he said "I know it is"

At the same time it kinda stroke fear in me, how "just the same we are" and how they all just died. (not they them, but people in general)

I like stargate because it's a very real metaphor for our relationship with the Internet. It'll be interesting to see if this Stargate Universe continues the trend.
I was sitting in a Mohammed Yunus talk and thinking about some topological extensions and applications for a smart, "Economy 2.0:" social bookmarking applied to bookkeeping. The enterprise beast grows! The show should play around a lot more with identity than just the stones, and focus on teamwork and crowd-sourcing to engage problems.
With net-neutrality on a path to codification, what does the future hold for the internet [stargates]?
I want to see Manifest Destiny on the Destiny.
If Stargate Universe don't embrace a transhumanist vision of growth via information technology, and speak to such issues, as above, that geeks face today, I'm afraid it won't get that loyal support from fans.

I like watching sci-fi, but there is an extent to which it's escapism. That being said, I think it's a hella great way to escape, and we can relate to a wide variety of people who enjoy epic spaceship battles and last minute stabs to the GUT before a black-hole consumes the earth.

We should make a show, for ImmInst, where we recap all the references in kickass sci-fi movies and shows to Immortality! Could we get enough media each week to do a show? or even enough to have a daily 5 minute thing?

#6 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

One of the things I like about Stargate (and maybe one of the things I sometimes hate) is that they find new cool things and are curious about them like we are :D

And then comes the ascended beings and makes me all jealous :D ^^

#7 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

The immortality in the Stargate universe is more Buddhist in nature than anything else, but it's a fun show.

Edited by Shepard, 21 November 2009 - 01:23 PM.

#8 31stCentury

• 24 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

I have heard this new Stargate is pretty decent Sci-Fi. Good to hear about the immortalist theme in this particular episode. I might have to start watching TV again.

I had watched every episode of that show, until yesterday. I gave it a chance but that show is wayyy too much like a teen soap opera. When I watch sci-fi, i Want to be astonished and stupified. This show, on the other hand, is like days of our live -- they focus too much on personal drama and teenage-related emotions -- crying and fornication. I hope they replace it with something sci-fi. I don't recommend it.

#9 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

Once this meme permeates in to the next levels of society we'll get to start thinking about things like contacting these people about more directly putting this meme in to episodes. I think thats going to happen for sure. Thats exciting to think about.

On a similar note, I watched the Green Mile again the other day. I didnt remember from the first time around that theres an egregious pro aging trance theme built in to it. In the end, the old man that plays Tom Hanks caps off the movie with the moral that John Coffey gave him and the mouse greatly extended life spans. He says stuff like, "Its become my curse, Im 108 and I have to see you all die, my wife and kid are dead," etc... This reminds me of, as Aubrey calls it, the Tithonus error, but its a little different. Maybe we should call this sentiment that you would be the only one to stay young the "Green Mile error".

The whole scene is relevant but the curse is mentioned around the 4:40 mark.

Edited by brokenportal, 21 November 2009 - 06:10 PM.

#10 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:12 PM

It won't be exactly you, but it's the last option you can do in the event your whole body is destroyed.

With this at least a "part" of you will come back (your same physical body and some memories). It's not prefect, but it's something.

#11 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

It won't be exactly you, but it's the last option you can do in the event your whole body is destroyed.

With this at least a "part" of you will come back (your same physical body and some memories). It's not prefect, but it's something.

No it's nto!
Who wants a clone walking in them? that's like legacy, memorials, sucks! stupid! pointless! idiotic! grr @@.. no offense to you, I just hate it!

#12 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

No it's nto!
Who wants a clone walking in them? that's like legacy, memorials, sucks! stupid! pointless! idiotic! grr @@.. no offense to you, I just hate it!

Then you will be gone FOREVER!!!

This is even a better alternative to having kids! Because it IS you (at least a version of you).

Without this you will never come back, you will be gone. No one will remember or care about you, this is the only alternative I would opt for in the event my whole body and brain was destroyed!

What OTHER option CAN you do Luna??

At least some form of me will continue and live on. If you don't like it, then only the dark abyss of oblivion awaits you, sorry but this is the only thing aside from time travel or a simulation of me I can see that will give me immortality in some form.

#13 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:32 PM

But the abyss waits for you anyways if you died and leave a clone! it's not you, if you are still dead and a clone is out there, it is no difference than you being dead and no clone out there.

Who cares to be remembered? we care to live, just live, not be remembered, heroic, live legacy, it's not the same as being alive, here, to do, see, it all.

#14 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

But the abyss waits for you anyways if you died and leave a clone! it's not you, if you are still dead and a clone is out there, it is no difference than you being dead and no clone out there.

Who cares to be remembered? we care to live, just live, not be remembered, heroic, live legacy, it's not the same as being alive, here, to do, see, it all.

I understand that Luna, the whole point is to continue myself in "some" form. It's not me, but it's a continuation of my process.

Of course I don't just want a clone, I want a clone who has been copied with as many of my memories as possible.

Remember ... this is only as a last resort! I don't like it either and I prefer physical immortality like you, but this is just a last resort in continuing my legacy. I plan on doing more then just living and having fun, I plan on exploring the universe and advancing science and technology, this clone would be my only hope to continue my work .. If anything this is to at least benefit mankind.

In any case I would also leave behind instructions so if and when time travel is possible, then someone should come back and get me before I die. Is that better for you?

#15 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:38 AM

Yes, time travel is better (doubt possible).
I don't see the point in memorials.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users