• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Increasing bioavailability of Curcumin at home?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 jcanis

• 19 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Hi:

I'm Julie, a newbie interested in making high bioavailable curcumin at home. Here is our story.

My husband Rajeev was dx with a brain tumor - glioblastom multiforme grade IV (think Ted Kennedy) - July 2005.

Statistically only 1-2% survive 3 years.

Incredibly Rajeev has beaten the statistics and is 4.5 years post diagnosis.

However, we are on the last available treatment which is a combo of Avastin and Thalidomide and his neuro-oncologist told us that we are "losing the battle"....as we've exhausted all treatment. We pay out of pocket ~$2,000 each month for just the thalidomide (this month it will be ~$6,000 due to the start of a new medicare year).

He's taking 3.2 grams of Life Extension Foundation super curcumin plus piperine/day.

I just bought about 12 bottles as I did not realize that they had Super bio-available curcumin.

Please, can someone please tell me the options to make it more bio-available at home?

Can I simply break open the capsules and fry the contents, maybe adding more black pepper? What oil should I use?

Research indicates that curcumin can fight cancer, and I'm hoping that high bio-available curcumin can help us.

Thanks in advance.

#2 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:09 AM

Sorry about your husband... and afraid I don't know an answer to your actual question.

But I believe LEF has a really good return policy, if you want to swap the ones you purchased for the Super bio-available curcumin. I think they'll even take back opened bottles.

Longvida is another option to consider -- http://www.longvida.com

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FNC

• 152 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:03 AM

I believe I read that using Quercetin in combination with the Turmeric (Curcumin) increases its absorption rate.

I wish you all the best and that he manages to recover. May link to some studies later on.

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=30610
http://altered-state...er/curcumin.htm

Edited by Fabien, 13 January 2010 - 01:06 AM.

#4 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:17 AM

Hi:

I'm Julie, a newbie interested in making high bioavailable curcumin at home. Here is our story.

My husband Rajeev was dx with a brain tumor - glioblastom multiforme grade IV (think Ted Kennedy) - July 2005.

However, we are on the last available treatment which is a combo of Avastin and Thalidomide and his neuro-oncologist told us that we are "losing the battle"....as we've exhausted all treatment. We pay out of pocket ~$2,000 each month for just the thalidomide (this month it will be ~$6,000 due to the start of a new medicare year).

He's taking 3.2 grams of Life Extension Foundation super curcumin plus piperine/day.

I just bought about 12 bottles as I did not realize that they had Super bio-available curcumin.

Please, can someone please tell me the options to make it more bio-available at home?

Can I simply break open the capsules and fry the contents, maybe adding more black pepper? What oil should I use?

Research indicates that curcumin can fight cancer, and I'm hoping that high bio-available curcumin can help us.

Thanks in advance.

Please consider cryogenics for your husband. It's worth it!!! http://www.alcor.org/

Edited by Elus Efelier, 13 January 2010 - 01:17 AM.

#5 FNC

• 152 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:25 AM

Nikolay can we not jump the gun yet? He's still alive :)

I agree though, consider cryonics nonetheless.

Edited by Fabien, 13 January 2010 - 03:27 AM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#6 rsheese

• 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:27 AM

Hi:

Thanks in advance.

I have been trying to improve the bioavailability of Curcurmin. The problem with cucurmin is the the digestive process destroys the effectiveness of Curcumin before its absorbed into the blood system. The Curcumin must be protected from the digestive process so it can be absorbed in the intestine. I can not find any enteric coated Curcumin so I made my own by using enteric coated Fish oil capsules, 1200 mg, Cut the end partially off, and inserted the Curcumin capsule. It should pass thru the stomach without being destroyed. I have not found anyone who has tested this method but it sounds reasonable. If I could find a company that made enteric coated Curcumin I would buy that product. Best of luck.

#7 FNC

• 152 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:29 AM

I have been trying to improve the bioavailability of Curcurmin. The problem with cucurmin is the the digestive process destroys the effectiveness of Curcumin before its absorbed into the blood system. The Curcumin must be protected from the digestive process so it can be absorbed in the intestine. I can not find any enteric coated Curcumin so I made my own by using enteric coated Fish oil capsules, 1200 mg, Cut the end partially off, and inserted the Curcumin capsule. It should pass thru the stomach without being destroyed. I have not found anyone who has tested this method but it sounds reasonable. If I could find a company that made enteric coated Curcumin I would buy that product. Best of luck.

http://www.curcumall.com/

#8 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:44 AM

Blah. Enteric coating doesn't help, curcumin isn't destroyed by digestive enzymes or acid, it is conjugated for excretion in the intestines, rendering it ineffective. Piperine is by far the best way to avoid this, increasing bioavailability by as much as 2000%, as ridiculous as that sounds. Dissolving it in oil also helps improve absorption. Cooking may help, but may also destroy the curcumin.

If I were you, I'd dissolve the curcumin in any oil (my biases suggest ghee, coconut oil, or olive oil) along with about a teaspoon of turmeric and administer with piperine. Good luck!

#9 renwosing

• 148 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:47 AM

Just get some from revgenetics.

#10 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:54 AM

Please look into this clinical trial for cancer if you live near NY.

http://clinicaltrial...how/NCT00444054

Or you could possibly duplicate the trial yourself with a zero carb diet.

Additionally, you could try fasting for a day or two before chemo. This will be protect the healthy cells during chemo.

#11 eason

• 126 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:37 AM

You might want to look into Astragalus as well. In Chinese clinical trials, those undergoing chemotherapy combination therapy with Astragalus have a 5x lower mortality rate than those who do not take it. This is an herb you should take very seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to post every study here. Google is your friend.

#12 Recortes

• 131 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hi:

Thanks in advance.

jcanis,

I'm really sorry for the terrible situation, and you have my best wishes and empathy from the distance.

I've read in the forum Anthony_Loera that runs revgenetics to say his product is very bioavailable. Don't know whether his claims are true though, I wish I could be more useful.

http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=374749

this is his curcumin

http://www.revgeneti...p;submit=Search

Edited by Recortes, 13 January 2010 - 11:11 AM.

#13 ppp

• 275 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

I believe I read that using Quercetin in combination with the Turmeric (Curcumin) increases its absorption rate.

I wish you all the best and that he manages to recover. May link to some studies later on.

It increasingly looks like curcumin synergises to a greater extent with resveratrol than quercetin.

#14 ppp

• 275 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

Sorry about your husband... and afraid I don't know an answer to your actual question.

But I believe LEF has a really good return policy, if you want to swap the ones you purchased for the Super bio-available curcumin. I think they'll even take back opened bottles.

Longvida is another option to consider -- http://www.longvida.com

There's an interesting snippet about LongVida curcumin at the end of this paper http://www.ncbi.nlm....21/?tool=pubmed. Looks like it achieves higher levels of availability than curcumin + piperine. Note also that curcumin is synergistic with fish oils (specifically DHA), and reseveratrol.

#15 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

It increasingly looks like curcumin synergises to a greater extent with resveratrol than quercetin.

Did you have a study or article handy?

#16 ppp

• 275 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Did you have a study or article handy?

There's been a number of recent studies that have looked at curcumin and resveratrol together as anti-cancer agents. There was also this paper:

Phytother Res. 2009 Nov 19. [Epub ahead of print]
Antioxidant activities of curcumin and combinations of this curcuminoid with other phytochemicals?

Aftab N, Vieira A.

Laboratory for Nutrition & Metabolic Research, K9600 Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada.

Biomedical investigations of curcumin (and curcuminoids) have provided evidence of a wide range of molecular and cellular activities, most related to redox reactions and signal transduction. The main goal of the present study was to compare antioxidant activities of curcumin with those of resveratrol, a polyphenol present in some dietary plants such as Vitis vinifera (L.) and Arachis hypogaea (L.) and many other, non-dietary plants. Combinations of the two were also examined for potential synergism in a heme-enhanced oxidation reaction. Curcumin exhibited antioxidant effects at all time points (1-5 min; 10 muM), e.g., 30.5 +/- 11.9% (SEM) oxidation relative to controls without phytochemicals (p < 0.01) at 3 min, a time chosen for comparisons. The same concentration of resveratrol exhibited about half of curcumin's activity. Curcumin and resveratrol together (5 muM each) resulted in a synergistic antioxidant effect: 15.5 +/- 1.7% greater than an average of individual activities. This synergy was significantly greater (p < 0.05; about 4-fold) than that of curcumin together with the flavonol quercetin. In conclusion, curcumin is a potent antioxidant in a reaction that may be relevant to in vivo toxicity. In relation to two other well-known antioxidants, curcumin shows significantly greater synergism with resveratrol than with quercetin.

#17 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hi:

Thanks in advance.

Please consider cryogenics for your husband. It's worth it!!! http://www.alcor.org/

I found this post one of the most distasteful I have read since perusing the internet - Well done!

I think PPP has offered the soundest advice, with resveratrol acting in synergy with curcumin. As also mentioned fish oil might be useful and I would also add a quality green tea extract as this can slow angiogenesis therefore slowing tumour growth etc.

Good luck and God Bless.

Edited by shaggy, 13 January 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#18 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:41 PM

I strongly agree. In fact, going with the Cryonics Institute (http://www.cryonics.org/) would be more affordable. I would thank the poster for bringing up the sensitive but very important subject of cryonics.

Edited by RighteousReason, 13 January 2010 - 11:42 PM.

#19 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:44 PM

To answer the original question, trying adding more fat (olive oil or whatever), and adding fresh black pepper or an additional piperine supplement. I don't see the point in cooking any of this, that sounds like a destructive process.

Edited by RighteousReason, 13 January 2010 - 11:46 PM.

• Agree x 1

#20 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:31 AM

I do not believe that curcumin is unstable in acids, or that stomach acid destroys it. There should be no need for an enteric coating. LEF claim that mixing about 20% turmeric with curcumin increases bioavailability significantly, as does adding piperine. Significant amounts of piperine are found in black pepper, and it can be purchased as an extract as well.

Cooking up in a curry with mustard seed oil would be authentic, but any healthy oil would do the job. IF you like curry. Otherwise make your own turmeric/black pepper capsules to take with the plain curcumin.

Margaret's blog has a lot of information on curcumin as used for treating multiple myeloma: http://margaret.healthblogs.org

Another possibility that complements curcumin is zerumbone, isolated from a tropical species of ginger; it inhibits the hedgehog pathway, which is necessary for cancer cells to metastasize and grow. Margaret has some information about it in her blogs, which are well indexed. Zerumbone can be purchased from www.kingherbs.com.cn, and from www.kingherbs.com. If you are interested in trying it after studying the links provided in the blog, PM me. I will see if I can get you some for "compassionate use."

Cancer Res. 2008 Nov 1;68(21):8938-44.
Zerumbone down-regulates chemokine receptor CXCR4 expression leading to inhibition of CXCL12-induced invasion of breast and pancreatic tumor cells.
Sung B, Jhurani S, Ahn KS, Mastuo Y, Yi T, Guha S, Liu M, Aggarwal BB.

Department of Experimental Therapeutics, Cytokine Research Laboratory, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA.
CXC chemokine receptor 4 (CXCR4), initially linked with leukocyte trafficking, is now known to be expressed in various tumors including breast, ovary, prostate, gastrointestinal, head and neck, bladder, brain, and melanoma. This receptor mediates homing of tumor cells to specific organs that express the ligand CXCL12 for this receptor. Thus, agents that can down-regulate CXCR4 expression have potential against cancer metastasis. In this study, we report the identification of zerumbone, a component of subtropical ginger (Zingiber zerumbet), as a regulator of CXCR4 expression. This sesquiterpene down-regulated the expression of CXCR4 on HER2-overexpressing breast cancer cells in a dose- and time-dependent manner. The decrease in CXCR4 by zerumbone was found to be not cell type specific as its expression was abrogated in leukemic, skin, kidney, lung, and pancreatic cancer cell lines. The down-regulation of CXCR4 was not due to proteolytic degradation but rather to transcriptional regulation, as indicated by down-regulation of mRNA expression, inhibition of nuclear factor-kappaB activity, and suppression of chromatin immunoprecipitation activity. Suppression of CXCR4 expression by zerumbone correlated with the inhibition of CXCL12-induced invasion of both breast and pancreatic cancer cells. An analogue of zerumbone, alpha-humulene, which lacks the carbonyl group, was found to be inactive in inducing CXCR4 down-regulation. Overall, our results show that zerumbone is a novel inhibitor of CXCR4 expression and thus has a potential in the suppression of cancer metastasis.

PMID: 18974138

Mol Carcinog. 2009 Dec 18. [Epub ahead of print]
Curcumin inhibits the Sonic Hedgehog signaling pathway and triggers apoptosis in medulloblastoma cells.
------------------
Elamin MH, Shinwari Z, Hendrayani SF, Al-Hindi H, Al-Shail E, Khafaga Y, Al-Kofide A, Aboussekhra A.

Department of Biological and Medical Research, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Medulloblastoma is an aggressive primary brain tumor that arises in the cerebellum of children and young adults. The Sonic Hedgehog (Shh) signaling pathway that plays important roles in the pathology of this aggressive disease is a promising therapeutic target. In the present report we have shown that curcumin has cytotoxic effects on medulloblastoma cells. Curcumin suppressed also cell proliferation and triggered cell-cycle arrest at G(2)/M phase. Moreover, curcumin inhibited the Shh-Gli1 signaling pathway by downregulating the Shh protein and its most important downstream targets GLI1 and PTCH1. Furthermore, curcumin reduced the levels of beta-catenin, the activate/phosphorylated form of Akt and NF-kappaB, which led to downregulating the three common key effectors, namely C-myc, N-myc, and Cyclin D1. Consequently, apoptosis was triggered by curcumin through the mitochondrial pathway via downregulation of Bcl-2, a downstream anti-apoptotic effector of the Shh signaling. Importantly, the resistant cells that exhibited no decrease in the levels of Shh and Bcl-2, were sensitized to curcumin by the addition of the Shh antogonist, cyclopamine. Furthermore, we have shown that curcumin enhances the killing efficiency of nontoxic doses of cisplatin and gamma-rays. In addition, we present clear evidence that piperine, an enhancer of curcumin bioavailability in humans, potentiates the apoptotic effect of curcumin against medulloblastoma cells. This effect was mediated through strong downregulation of Bcl-2. These results indicate that curcumin, a natural nontoxic compound, represents great promise as Shh-targeted therapy for medulloblastomas.

Edited by maxwatt, 14 January 2010 - 01:36 AM.
spelling eras

#21 garlicknots

• Life Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:18 AM

Hey Julie,

Not sure if you found your way here from one of my posts in the bt yahoo groups, but glad you're around. There are a lot of informative people around though some less so. (I most certainly fall into the less so category btw).

Like many people I'd suggest taking curcumin with resv and quercetin. I take both by revgenetics. After my current supply of ucla's curcumin product ucla curcumin bioavailability graph finishes and can be purchased from www.longvida.com I'm going to purchase the revgenetics curcumin brand because it is cheaper and I think the idea is similar.

Max' information about ginger extract zerumbone also makes sense since that's another usual curry ingredient.

f/R

#22 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:08 AM

Julie, I'm sorry to hear about your husband, but I'm glad you checked in with us. I do not think that cooking the curcumin would help bioavailability at all; if anything it would degrade the curcumin, which is not a supremely stable molecule. I agree with the poster that suggested you try sending them back to LEF and getting one of the commercial curcumin products that are formulated for higher bioavailability. As several people have mentioned, curcumin does not require enteric coating. I would add resveratrol to the mix, at a fairly high dose. RevGenetics is a good source; their "nitro" product is the best available to my knowledge, though it is somewhat expensive. Reduce dose or discontinue if joint/tendon pain develops. Zerumbone is definitely worth a look. Compounds acting on the hedgehog pathway have shown a lot of promise. I can't say much more than that because my knowledge on it is limited.

I'd like to tread a line between being discouraging and raising false hopes, as I think these, particularly the latter, are unnecessarily cruel. I suspect you are already aware of this, but while the compounds that we're discussing here may very well give your husband a longer life, they probably will not be curative. I wish you both the best of luck.

#23 ppp

• 275 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:10 AM

Like many people I'd suggest taking curcumin with resv and quercetin. I take both by revgenetics. After my current supply of ucla's curcumin product ucla curcumin bioavailability graph finishes and can be purchased from www.longvida.com I'm going to purchase the revgenetics curcumin brand because it is cheaper and I think the idea is similar.

Max' information about ginger extract zerumbone also makes sense since that's another usual curry ingredient.

f/R

I'd really like to see some research on the revgenetics product and how it compares with the LongVida product. I hope Anthony is able to address this in the future. Currently my son is taking a mixture of pure resveratrol powder, the revgenetics Nitro product and LongVida, along with zerumbone.

Pan

#24 eason

• 126 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

f/R

I'd really like to see some research on the revgenetics product and how it compares with the LongVida product. I hope Anthony is able to address this in the future. Currently my son is taking a mixture of pure resveratrol powder, the revgenetics Nitro product and LongVida, along with zerumbone.

Pan

Look into Astragalus. I think it is very underrated here. It is probably the most widely used herb now in cancer treatment centers.

FDA to approve role in cancer
A considerable amount of detailed German and American research has confirmed the herb’s powers, and identified an important potential role in cancer therapy. For example:

•Researchers from the University of Texas, Houston, have reported that cancer patients receiving Astragalus have twice the survival rate of those only receiving placebos.
• It is often used in conjunction with other herbs. In a 1994 Italian study (Morazzoni, Bombardelli) breast cancer patients were given a combination of Iigustrum and Astragalus. Patients given this mix showed a decline in mortality from 50% to 10%.
•In another study of patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer all undergoing chemotherapy, the group taking the dual herb mix showed an average life span increase of 130%.
•Astragalus doesn´t merely enhance interferon levels; there is strong scientific evidence that it benefits liver function (often impaired in the cancer sufferer). In China, Astragalus is widely used in the treatment of hepatitis. It seems to reduce toxin levels significantly, boost interferon levels and inhibit viral protein expression whilst having little or no effect on normal DNA. (Zhang 1995, Fan 1996)

The FDA is currently granting it approval as an anti-cancer agent.

Improves the effectiveness of Radio- and Chemotherapy
One extremely important conclusion from several US studies is that Astragalus seems to help the immune system differentiate between healthy cells and rogue cells, thereby boosting the body’s total ‘cancer fighting system’. One effect of this is the added benefit of improving the effectiveness of radiotherapy and chemotherapy treatments.

• In Chinese hospitals Astragalus is now routinely used to help people recover from the negative effects of radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
•MD Anderson Cancer Center (Texas) researchers reported that cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy had twice the survival rates if they took astragalus during the treatment.
•In the West some herbalists routinely provide chemotherapy and radiotherapy patients with Astragalus, and apart from boosting the immune system (which of course both orthodox treatments damage) it also seems to stop the spread of malignant cancer cells to secondary healthy tissues.

For leukemia (and probably some other cancers), high dose EGCG from green tea extract (in much higher doses than usually recommended) is effective. Of course EGCG above 700mg carries risks of its own:

A phase two trial of Polyphenon E® in CLL is now underway. In this trial, all test subjects will get the top dose of Polyphenon E, which is 2,000 mg twice per day. For those who cannot wait for the FDA to approve this product (and, based on past experience, the process could take years), well, EGCG is available in the market. The trouble is that most brands contain 250 to 400 mg per capsule. Thus one would need to take 10 to 16 capsules per day to reach what is apparently the optimum dose. Given the fact that there were some adverse effects in some of the cases I would strongly suggest that you only do this under the guidance of a CAM-oriented physician. For those looking to prevent CLL, as well as other forms of cancer, enjoying a variety of organic green tea products daily might be just the ticket.

Of course, resveratrol and curcumin are the obvious two that have been getting most attention lately, but I'm sure a multifaceted approach would yield better results. The immune system is indeed a very important component in fighting ANY cancer, and that is exactly what Astragalus puts into hyperdrive.

Edited by eason, 14 January 2010 - 10:41 AM.

#25 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

I do not think that cooking the curcumin would help bioavailability at all; if anything it would degrade the curcumin, which is not a supremely stable molecule.

There was a comment article in some journal a while ago where the authors said they found heating the curcumin (preferably in oil) for a short time increases its bioavailability, but that heating it at a high temperature for a long time degrades it. Don't have the article on my computer, but I can try to find it if you want to take a look.

#26 garlicknots

• Life Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:46 AM

f/R

Pan

I agree, but I'm drawn by the price. I'm going to try it for a little bit, I'll basically be able to take 2x of it compared to the Longvida product and it has more curcumin so I might approach 3x the longvida dose at the same price. I forgot the exact numbers but I ran it through excel and there were significant savings worth the non researched element. I don't know.

There was a comment article in some journal a while ago where the authors said they found heating the curcumin (preferably in oil) for a short time increases its bioavailability, but that heating it at a high temperature for a long time degrades it. Don't have the article on my computer, but I can try to find it if you want to take a look.

I also remember this article and remember that it was brought up at imminst. The search function unfortunately failed me just now. But pubmed came up with a few semi-relevant hits:

heat solubilized curcumin more bioavailable?

&
And more on heat

Those are just comments without abstract--does anyone have the background paper and the comment?

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:08 AM

I do not think that cooking the curcumin would help bioavailability at all; if anything it would degrade the curcumin, which is not a supremely stable molecule.

It sounds like this is a method to get it to more quickly dissolve in oil. Is there actually a chemical modification? There are a couple letters on heating curcumin in the recent literature (no abstracts) and one of them mentions avoiding oxidation. Maybe they're adding something to prevent oxidation so they can heat it enough to dissolve? If the paper is handy, it would be interesting to know what they say. Given curcumin's conjugation and keto-enol tautomerism, it seems like a lot of heating would be distinctly bad, unless the environment was protective. Some gentle heating to solubilize it would probably be ok.

#28 Raccoon

• 31 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

Adding tumeric to spaghetti bolognese sauce with extra tomato paste plus swine meat or olive oil is a great way to have a healthy dinner.

The high oleic acid fat content of swine fat or olive oil improves absorption.

You could also add curcumin powder/lutein powder when it chilled a little (I have no data about curcumin heat toleration). Depending on your taste you can use more tomato paste in the sauce (licopene) because the tumeric smooths and enhances the taste.

This combination is very compatible and I would say that tumeric is my hidden ingredient - quite tasty mix and more easelly digested :)

Edited by Raccoon, 15 January 2010 - 10:35 AM.

#29 Mia K.

• 176 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

jcanis,

So sorry to read of your husband's plight.  I have no further suggestions to add re: making curcumin more bioavailable at  home.

Have you looked into Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN)?  Small doses of this opioid receptor blocker taken nightly is showing promise in the treatment of cancer (as well as other conditions - notably MS.  I take it myself with great success for something else again).

Have a read, this from the  http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org site:

Low dose naltrexone might exert its effects on tumor growth through a mix of three possible mechanisms:

By inducing increases of metenkephalin (an endorphin produced in large amounts in the adrenal medulla) and beta endorphin in the blood stream;

By inducing an increase in the number and density of opiate receptors on the tumor cell membranes, thereby making them more responsive to the growth-inhibiting effects of the already-present levels of endorphins, which induce apoptosis (cell death) in the cancer cells;and

By increasing the natural killer (NK) cell numbers and NK cell activity and lymphocyte activated CD8 numbers, which are quite responsive to increased levels of endorphins.1 (abstract)

> Cancers that are reported by Dr. Bihari to apparently respond to LDN:

Bladder Cancer 
Breast Cancer 
Carcinoid 
Colon & Rectal Cancer 
Glioblastoma 
Liver Cancer 
Lung Cancer (Non-Small Cell) 
Lymphocytic Leukemia (chronic) 
Lymphoma (Hodgkin's and Non-Hodgkin's) Malignant Melanoma 
Multiple Myeloma 
Neuroblastoma 
Ovarian Cancer 
Pancreatic Cancer 
Prostate Cancer (untreated) 
Renal Cell Carcinoma 
Throat Cancer 
Uterine Cancer

Naltrexone is readily available with and w/o an Rx.  To my knowledge, it's compatible with traditional therapies.

My best wishes to you both.  Please do take good care of yourself as you are caring for your man. 

BTW, there is a (moderated) forum for the interested   http://ldn.proboards...ex.cgi?#general

Edited twice: one to provide boldface, once to fix link.

Edited by Mia K., 15 January 2010 - 07:33 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 garlicknots

• Life Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

Julie, I'm sorry to hear about your husband, but I'm glad you checked in with us. I do not think that cooking the curcumin would help bioavailability at all; if anything it would degrade the curcumin, which is not a supremely stable molecule. I agree with the poster that suggested you try sending them back to LEF and getting one of the commercial curcumin products that are formulated for higher bioavailability. As several people have mentioned, curcumin does not require enteric coating. I would add resveratrol to the mix, at a fairly high dose. RevGenetics is a good source; their "nitro" product is the best available to my knowledge, though it is somewhat expensive. Reduce dose or discontinue if joint/tendon pain develops. Zerumbone is definitely worth a look. Compounds acting on the hedgehog pathway have shown a lot of promise. I can't say much more than that because my knowledge on it is limited.

I'd like to tread a line between being discouraging and raising false hopes, as I think these, particularly the latter, are unnecessarily cruel. I suspect you are already aware of this, but while the compounds that we're discussing here may very well give your husband a longer life, they probably will not be curative. I wish you both the best of luck.

Niner, I occasionally have joint/tendon pain on my right arm/shoulder which I don't think is caused by resv usage. However even if it was, I'm willing to take if it means that my brain tumor is regressing/not growing. I take 2-4 nitro caps/day with quercetin/curcumin at 50kg. Is it just the discomfort that I should worry about or are there more realistic reasons to discontinue use? Again, it's a brain tumor vs. some joint/tendon pain. I'd certainly discontinue or decrease dose if I was "healthy."

f/R

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users