Photo
- - - - -

Retinol creams and depression

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sdsgec

• 32 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

I'm in the process of working through potential causes of my mood and energy issues. Some background here:
http://www.imminst.o...mp;#entry381401

I'm also suffering a bit of acne which is been present for about a year. I almost always have dandruff and in summer, my skin gets quite oily with a bit of dryness. In winter, my skin is just parched.

We're just at the change of season right now, and I can already see the difference. My skin is a lot dryer.

Anyhow, after a few months off the retinol cream, 2 days ago I applied Green Cream, with is retinol I believe. It did help to get rid of the dryness and already the scale near the white heads is less prominent; however, I experienced explosive depression and lethargy (and it's totally not PMS time yet) around this time.

I did a few Googles to check out possible causes, as I've been pretty stable lately (hoping I'm not bipolar). Anyway... I finally tried retinol/depression keywords, which led me to Accutane. Now this is obviously a different form of Vit A, but I'm wondering if there is still some Vit A toxicity going on here?

I do eat a lot of red veges and salmon. The caroteine provides plant form of Vit A which I hear is safe. My hands do get very yellow sometimes though. Is this a concern? I don't eat beef, only chicken, fish and occasionally kangaroo.

Back in early 2009 I was using Green Cream regularly and I was experiencing depression, but I was also on a low carb diet which wasn't really keeping my mood elevated.

I'm going to have to do more research on the hair products I use, but are there any 'safe' cosmetic products out there that may help the acne/dryness? I'll need cleanser/hair products/moisturiser.

Thanks!!

#2 jazzcat

• 139 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:05 AM

You might consider a zinc deficiency. The acne and dandruff could be about zinc. the other skin problems mightbe too but I'm not positive. Zinc also helps the liver release vitamin A.

I might conclude that the yellow palms might be an indication that your liver has high stores of Vitamin A.

You might need more zinc because of your vitamin A status.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sdsgec

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

You might consider a zinc deficiency. The acne and dandruff could be about zinc. the other skin problems mightbe too but I'm not positive. Zinc also helps the liver release vitamin A.

I might conclude that the yellow palms might be an indication that your liver has high stores of Vitamin A.

You might need more zinc because of your vitamin A status.

Already supplementing zinc. I've had fatty liver before. Not sure of the status now. I should check that out.

#4 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:59 AM

Are you very sensitive to b vitamins?

#5 SATANICAT

• 128 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:14 AM

I have symptoms similar to yours. If I take my multi-vitamin in the morning (50% beta-carotene, and 50% retinol) 100% dv and I take 2 cod liver oils (which contain 60% DV each) I don't have such a great day. So I have a total of 170% DV of Vitamin A as retinol a day, which I didn't realize for a while. For the past couple of days I've skipped on the multi-vitamin and only taken 1 cod liver oil and I've felt much better. So, if I were you I would reduce my retinol intake. But, my greater sense of well being from dropping my multi-vitamin may be from other reasons than it's Vitamin A content. Just experiment and listen to your body.

#6 sdsgec

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:52 AM

Define 'very'. I used to have a lot of brewer's yeast, and that would make me sky high in the mornings, but during that phase I'd also crash right after lunch and sleep for the afternoon. I don't know if that was the glutamate, dairy intake or the vitamin A thing.

I'm now taking an undermethylation mix prepared by doc. I don't know if it's placebo, but I haven't felt the need to nap after lunch for about a week or so. Big improvement to the rest of 2009. Though, I question directions to take the following mix 'after food' especially with methionine in there. Should I wait a little longer than straight 'after food'?

Ingredients:
zinc picolante 25mg, pyridoxine-5-phosphate 12 5mg, pyridoxine (hydrochloride) 25mg, manganese (gluconate) 3.75mg, vitamin e (mixed tocopherols) 50mg, ascorbic acid 150mg, magnesium (ascorbate) 11mg, methionine 375mg, folic acid 420mg, thiamine (b1) 5mg, riboflavin-5-phosphate (b2 active) 2.5mg, nicotinamide (b3) 5mg, calcium pantothenate (b5) 12.5mg

Apologies for any typos, type wasn't easy to read.

#7 sdsgec

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:59 AM

I have symptoms similar to yours. If I take my multi-vitamin in the morning (50% beta-carotene, and 50% retinol) 100% dv and I take 2 cod liver oils (which contain 60% DV each) I don't have such a great day. So I have a total of 170% DV of Vitamin A as retinol a day, which I didn't realize for a while. For the past couple of days I've skipped on the multi-vitamin and only taken 1 cod liver oil and I've felt much better. So, if I were you I would reduce my retinol intake. But, my greater sense of well being from dropping my multi-vitamin may be from other reasons than it's Vitamin A content. Just experiment and listen to your body.

Ha. That's nothing! I'm currently eating carrot and pumpkin for lunch and dinner, sometimes sweet potato. And to enjoy summer while it lasts, eating lots of Mango, Paw Paw/Papaya, Rockmelon. Plus I love salmon... I'm addicted to carotene if I may say so.

But seriously besides the last few days, I've been feeling way more functional than I was when I was on a low carb diet or when I was eating dairy. I'm currently cleaning up 30 yrs of hoarding (thanks mum) and it takes a lot of patience, dedication and strength not to give up. So, lots of worries.

#8 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:19 AM

Define 'very'. I used to have a lot of brewer's yeast, and that would make me sky high in the mornings, but during that phase I'd also crash right after lunch and sleep for the afternoon. I don't know if that was the glutamate, dairy intake or the vitamin A thing.

I'm now taking an undermethylation mix prepared by doc. I don't know if it's placebo, but I haven't felt the need to nap after lunch for about a week or so. Big improvement to the rest of 2009. Though, I question directions to take the following mix 'after food' especially with methionine in there. Should I wait a little longer than straight 'after food'?

Ingredients:
zinc picolante 25mg, pyridoxine-5-phosphate 12 5mg, pyridoxine (hydrochloride) 25mg, manganese (gluconate) 3.75mg, vitamin e (mixed tocopherols) 50mg, ascorbic acid 150mg, magnesium (ascorbate) 11mg, methionine 375mg, folic acid 420mg, thiamine (b1) 5mg, riboflavin-5-phosphate (b2 active) 2.5mg, nicotinamide (b3) 5mg, calcium pantothenate (b5) 12.5mg

Apologies for any typos, type wasn't easy to read.

Very= Taking a B complex will improve every aspect of your life including your mood, focus, energy and motivation levels.

Edited by lunarsolarpower, 20 April 2011 - 05:11 AM.

#9 sdsgec

• Topic Starter
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

Very= Taking a B complex will improve every aspect of your life including your mood, focus, energy and motivation levels.

I was given B12 injections a few times, and that made me more active and very hungry. Effect wore off quite quickly. I am taking quite a few B vitamins in the mix I'm taking currently. Perhaps this is contributing to the improvement.

Also, I take 500mg of metformin which seems to lower B12.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 mijisaza

• 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

The information is very interesting. I like all post. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users