- - - - -

Octacosanol

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bdnf

• 69 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:32 AM

At http://www.brainplac...nts/default.asp Dr. Amen states:

"Octacosanol 2,000 micrograms (oil capsule) 2-4 capsules a day for brain injuries".

Has anyone heard of this dietary supplement being used for brain injury?

• Lurker

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:23 AM

There are many supplements/drugs which can help with brain injuries. However to improve on what's already functionally optimally is a more difficult thing to achieve as far as I'm concerned. The supplements that can help repair the brain can have significant effects, but this is partly due to the fact that they aid in the natural repair and reconstruction of damaged areas. If you have a brain injury these supplements might interest you, otherwise their effects may not be as substantial for someone with a healthy uninjured brain.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bdnf

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for your reply. I was merely interested in whether anyone could provide information or comments in the relation to this supplement and the brain, since it is the first I've heard of Octacosanol.

• Lurker

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:53 AM

Does your name stand for brain-derived neurotrophin factor? Tell me what do you know about this, if you could please? TIA.

I will google it in the mean time.

#5 bdnf

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:07 AM

It does indeed. I shall outline the role of the BDNF once I have gleaned further information.

TIA = Transient Ischemic Attack.

• Lurker

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:32 AM

TIA = Thanks in Advance :)

#7 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:57 PM

TIA = Thanks in Advance :)

LOL.

#8 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:58 AM

Hexacosanol

Exp Neurol. 1996 Apr;138(2):189-97.
Enhancement of mouse sciatic nerve regeneration by the long chain fatty alcohol, N-Hexacosanol.

Azzouz, M, Kenel PF, Warter J-M, Poindron P, Borg J. Universite Louis Pasteur, Centre de Recherches Pharmaceutiques, ILLKIRCH, France.

The purpose of the present study was to determine the effects of n-hexacosanol (hexa) on nerve regeneration. Hexa, a long chain fatty alcohol has been shown to possess neurotrophic properties on cultured neurons and to attenuate the degeneration of cholinergic neurons after injury. The effects of daily intraperitoneal injections of hexa (1 mg/kg) on regeneration of nerve fibers were studied in mice following a sciatic nerve crush. Measurement of axonal regeneration using the pinch test 7 days postlesion showed a 40% increase of the regeneration rate of sensory fibers in hexa-treated mice compared to controls (1.67 +/- 0.15 mm/day and 1.09 +/- 0.03 mm/day, respectively). The recovery of neuromuscular function was significantly improved, as shown by quantitative electromyography and and sensorimotor tests. Clinical signs of recovery evaluation with toe spreading reflex appeared earlier in hexa group than in control animals. Electrophysiological recordings were performed each 3 days during 34 days following nerve injury. Higher values of the compound muscle action potential (CMAP) were obtained in hexa-treated animals that correspond to an improved regeneration. Moreover, hexa induced a significantly faster regeneration rate (hexa: 2.87 +/- 0.15 mV/day; control: 2.00 +/- 0.06 mV/day), as measured by the slope of CMAP increase (44% enhancement). A morphometric analysis performed 7 days following crush showed an increased number of regenerating fibers, as well as increased diameter and thickness of the myelin in hexa-treated mice. Thus, hexa increased the regeneration of both sensory and motor axons in lesioned nerve, leading to an improved functional recovery.

J Neurosci Res. 1991 May;29(1):62-7.
The neurotrophic factor, n-hexacosanol, reduces the neuronal damage induced by the neurotoxin, kainic acid.

Borg J.

The long-chain fatty alcohol, n-hexacosanol, has been shown to possess neurotrophic properties in vitro on rat CNS cultures (Borg et al., 1987) and to promote the survival of septal cholinergic neurons after experimental axotomy (Borg et al., 1990). Long-chain alcohols have also been shown to be synthesized and metabolised by rat brain during development (Bishop and Hayra, 1981; Natarajan et al., 1984). The present study was undertaken in order to find out if a nonproteic neurotrophic factor like n-hexacosanol may be able to reduce the neuronal damages induced by the excitatory amino acid, kainic acid. When administered chronically by intraperitineal injection, hexacosanol (1 mg/kg) protected the pyramidal neurons of the hippocampus from the neurotoxic degeneration induced by an intracerebroventricular infusion of kainic acid in rats; the extent of the damage was limited to a small part of the CA3 region. Morphometric analysis showed that 72% of the neurons that would have died following kainic acid injection were spared by hexacosanol. Moreover the increased locomotor activity induced by the neurotoxin was also inhibited by hexacosanol and the behavioral effect was statistically correlated to the extent of neuronal loss. The present study suggests a possible role for nonproteic neurotrophic compounds against neurotoxic damages on central neurons. Moreover the peripheral administration of hexacosanol may lead to a significant breakthrough in the treatment of exicotoxin-related human diseases.

Brain Res. 1990 Jun 4;518(1-2):295-8.
Peripheral administration of a long-chain fatty alcohol promotes septal cholinergic neurons survival after fimbria-fornix transection.

Borg J, Kesslak PJ, Cotman CW. Medafor, Schiltigheim, France.

Peripherally administered n-hexacosanol, a long-chain fatty alcohol, strongly attenuated the degeneration of cholinergic neurons in the medial septum and the vertical limb of the diagonal band of Broca following transection of their dorsal projection to the hippocampus by unilateral fimbria-fornix aspiration. The maintenance of AChE-positive neurons was particularly striking in the vertical limb of the diagonal band of Broca, where 83% of the neurons survived after two weeks of n-hexacosanol treatment compared to 51% in the non-treated animals. This compound has already been found to possess some neurotrophic activities on cultured neurons from rat cerebral cortex. But the present study is the first report of an in vivo neurotrophic influence exerted by an exogenously administered long-chain fatty alcohol. The low dosage needed and the peripheral administration of this compound may be of great advantage in the reduction of cell loss in some neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer's disease or stroke.

FEBS Lett. 1987 Mar 23;213(2):406-10.
Neurotrophic effect of naturally occurring long-chain fatty alcohols on cultured CNS neurons.

Borg J, Toazara J, Hietter H, Henry M, Schmitt G, Luu B.

A long-chain fatty alcohol,n-hexacosanol, that we have isolated from the Far-Eastern traditional medicinal plant, Hygrophila erecta, Hochr., is shown to promote the maturation of central neurons. Added at 500 nM to fetal rat brain neurons in culture, it increased both neurite outgrowth by a factor of 4-6 and the number of collaterals, especially in multipolar neurons. The biochemical differentiation of cultured neurons was also strikingly enhanced by this compound: it increased the protein content and almost doubled the activities of two neuron-specific enzymes, phosphate-activated glutaminase and neuron-specific enolase, by 92 and 78%, respectively. Extensive studies with several synthetic long-chain fatty alcohols showed that the neurotrophic activity was maximal for n-hexacosanol. It is suggested that some long-chain fatty alcohols with an appropriate length of hydrocarbon chain might play an important role in central neuron development.

#9 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:10 AM

Thanks Life Mirage! Where is the best deal to buy this in bulk?

;) I am searching right now!!! [thumb]

#10 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:27 AM

WAIT! I am pretty sure there is a difference between ctacosanol, hexacosanol and triacontanol.

[:o]

Apparently the hexacosanol is the one that has the nootropic activity. Where can we buy this?

Here is the best I found so far:

Policosanol

Posted Image

What are Octacosanol & Policosanol?
"Policosanol" refers to a group of eight solid alcohols derived from sugar cane wax. Octacosanol is the major constituent of policosanol. Octacosanol is remarkably safe and effective at reducing cholesterol levels, and at reducing platelet aggregation.

• Lurker

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:48 AM

LifeMirage, Hexacosanol sounds like a good maintainance nootropic. However beyond preventing degeneration of cholinergic neurons and such, what effects would it have in improving what hasn't degenerated much to begin with.

I'm not trying to debase the value of this nootropic, just exploring what is it capable of.

• Lurker

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:25 AM

http://www.altovis.c...tovisworks.html

It seems one of the ingredients of Altovis (fights fatigue, non-prescription drug) is Octacosanol.

I was curious when I saw the commercial about Altovis, I had thought they made a non-prescription drug with modafinil as an ingredient instead I find a somewhat unimpressive display of ingredients. Most of these ingredients are easily accessable for much cheaper than they are sold for.

#13 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 02:01 AM

LifeMirage, Hexacosanol sounds like a good maintainance nootropic. However beyond preventing degeneration of cholinergic neurons and such, what effects would it have in improving what hasn't degenerated much to begin with.

I'm not trying to debase the value of this nootropic, just exploring what is it capable of

Hi Cosmos

I really don't consider this a nootropic, more of a possible brain supplement, I would like to see a few dozen human studies though.

#14 nootropi

• 1,207 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:00 AM

Hi Cosmos

I really don't consider this a nootropic, more of a possible brain supplement, I would like to see a few dozen human studies though.

This compound has already been found to possess some neurotrophic activities on cultured neurons from rat cerebral cortex. But the present study is the first report of an in vivo neurotrophic influence exerted by an exogenously administered long-chain fatty alcohol. The low dosage needed and the peripheral administration of this compound may be of great advantage in the reduction of cell loss in some neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer's disease or stroke.

It is suggested that some long-chain fatty alcohols with an appropriate length of hydrocarbon chain might play an important role in central neuron development.

Clearly, this compound should be considered a nootopric if indeed it induces "neurotrophic activities" and "play[s] an important role in central neuron development." Surely we could use more evidence, but without doubt this substance is a safe addition to my (rather extensive) nootropic regime.

#15 zencatholic

• 88 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:58 PM

You can buy policosanol cheap at Wal Mart. Very cheap. You should also be able to get it at Vitamin World. I believe you can buy octasanol through Vitamin World as well, but I'n not positive about this. You could also try Puritan's Pride.

Peace be with you all,
AMDG

Zen Catholic

#16 3VeRL0ng

• 66 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:01 AM

I first learned about this "brain supplement" through Dr. Amen's website as well, and I'm pretty curious as to seeing someone's experience of using octacosonal as a brain healer/repairer, and what (if any) benefits were received.

#17 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

#18 guy1985

• 47 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

does Octacosanol really helps in repairing our brain injury from any hittage?

#19 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:49 AM

Many questions here and few answers...

My own question, based on that study that showed faster reaction times on policosanol: has anybody noticed an increase in mental speed from taking policosanol? Is the increase immediate after taking p or the result of chronic intake? At what dosage have you noticed the effect?

If I get positive replies that triangulate that study I'm going to try policosanol for mental speed (for cholesterol an equivalent supp which I take is pantethine).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 guy1985

• 47 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

anyone has experience with it before?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users