- - - - -

Ashwagandha / Bacopa / Wild Bluberries and Omega 3

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rejwan

• 45 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

For 10 days I am using this combination:

Ashwagandha (1500Mg/day) / Bacopa Monniera(1500mg/day) / Wild Bluberries (1gram/day) and Omega 3-6-9 .

None of these have this side effect but it seems that the nature of my specific body reaction to this combination that I have been losing at least 200-500 grams a day and there hasn't been a day I did not lose weight. In 10 days now I lost nearly 5 kilograms. Not too much - but I have to be very careful when using these because I am looking to use natural cures in for long term.

For two days I have this side effect also: When I stand up (3 times it happened - especially after waking up) or when I was laying down getting into sleep (happened 1 time) I have 3 or 4 seconds of a feeling of falling down.

What would the reasons be? Should I worry about weight loss? I should not be worrying being a 115 kg guy - but health concerns me much more. So is there anything to worry about this weight loss?

Falling down feeling? Any suggestions or inputs?

I have full energy before and after I use these - no change on this. before and after I use this I have been sleeping 6-7 hours a day - no change on that too.

blueberries and omega 3 I take half in the morning, half in the evening.

others I take 1/3 in the morning and 2/3 when I go to sleep.

edit : Also my mental problems are getting better and better. but these side effects concern me. And what would the invisible side effects that I can not feel but need to be worried?
I also take a medication called pimozide 2mg / day for 1.5 months. but the side effects I mention above started after I use these supplements.

Edited by re2weraqer235, 20 March 2010 - 07:31 PM.

#2 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

The weight loss could be due to the Ashwagandha and Bacopa that both increase the thyroid hormone production that would speed up the metabolism

Not sure what you mean by falling down, do you mean feeling light headed when you stand up, like your about to faint?

Both might mean you just need to eat more food.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rejwan

• Topic Starter
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

The weight loss could be due to the Ashwagandha and Bacopa that both increase the thyroid hormone production that would speed up the metabolism

Not sure what you mean by falling down, do you mean feeling light headed when you stand up, like your about to faint?

Both might mean you just need to eat more food.

Hello. Thank you for the reply. I will wait other comments too and will really appreciate them.

You say that they both increase the thyroid hormone production - is it harmful and would have some undesired effects? or totally beneficial? Can you give some more details if possible?

And.... falling down - it is as you mention. At those times in 2 occassions I had to hold the wall or somewhere else in order not to fall... only for a few seconds.

Thank you

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

Is there a reason you started the Ashwagandha and Bacopa? Due to the nature of your medicine, pimozide, ashwagandha and bacopa are likely interacting with your medication. It could be increased sedative properties of ashwagandha, excessive boost in dopamine, or some other complication. I would back off significantly your dosage of both ashwagandha and bacopa, then talk to a doctor willing to work with your use of alternative medicines with pimozide.

#5 rejwan

• Topic Starter
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:31 PM

Is there a reason you started the Ashwagandha and Bacopa? Due to the nature of your medicine, pimozide, ashwagandha and bacopa are likely interacting with your medication. It could be increased sedative properties of ashwagandha, excessive boost in dopamine, or some other complication. I would back off significantly your dosage of both ashwagandha and bacopa, then talk to a doctor willing to work with your use of alternative medicines with pimozide.

Yes. The main reasons I started to use Ashwagandha and Bacopa was to have a more clear memory and cognition. And it is my personal belief that my neurons are damaged due to stress as I had mental problems including schizophrenia in the past 20-30 years and these herbals, as to my knowledge, are known to repair the neurons that are damaged from free radicals arise due to stress in the brain. From today I will decrease the Bacopa and Ashwagandha to 1000 mg each (from 1500). And by following the results I will even lower it if there are other side effects or if there are strict warnings here.

ps. I am no longer a schizophrenia I can say but being as such for nearly 30 years must have given some harms to my cognitive abilities and neurons. So I tried this combination.

Edited by re2weraqer235, 20 March 2010 - 09:35 PM.

• like x 1

#6 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:20 AM

If you are going to go ahead anyway, you may want to find a no adverse effect level first and then move up from there. Maybe start at 200 or 250 each and move up after two weeks of no problems.

Here is a list of 'overdose' warnings:
http://en.wikipedia....ibitor#Overdose

#7 outsider

• 396 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

Ashwagandha and bacopa are very good for mental stability and brain protection but I see you use pimozide so that means you still have some psychological problem (small ones I suppose) so these herbs works on your body energy and knowing your past maybe you have some rebalancing going on I don't know...

One time a nutritionist advised to my sister to use omega 3 to loose weight...

These herbs are good too for detoxification.

What was said above for thyroid is true especially ashwagandha, very hot herb. Maybe you should be careful about this one.

#8 425runner

• 158 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for pointing this out! I could certainly use the weight loss. It appears to be true that both, Bacopa and Ashwagandha increase the body's natural production of thyroid hormones.

Panda and Kar, 1998 S. Panda and A. Kar, Changes in thyroid hormone concentrations after administration of ashwagandha root extract to adult male mice, J Pharm Pharmacol 50 (1998), pp. 1065–1068
The importance of ashwagandha root extract in the regulation of thyroid function with special reference to type-I iodothyronine 5'-monodeiodinase activity in mice liver has been investigated. Although the root extract (1.4 g kg-1) administered daily for 20 days by gastric intubation increased serum 3,3',5-triiodothyronine (T3) and tetraiodothyronine (T4) concentrations and hepatic glucose-6-phosphatase activity, hepatic iodothyronine 5'-monodeiodinase activity did not change significantly. Furthermore, ashwagandha root extract significantly reduced hepatic lipid peroxidation, whereas the activity of antioxidant enzymes such as superoxide dismutase and catalase were increased. These findings reveal that the ashwagandha root extract stimulates thyroidal activity and also enhances the antiperoxidation of hepatic tissue.

#9 rejwan

• Topic Starter
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

Thank you all for replies.

I now decreased the dosage of Bacopa and Ashwagandha to 1000 Mg each. And now there is no longer a feeling of falling down (lightheadedness?) and no longer weight loss. For now it happens to seem that it was making me a bit sleepless too - although there was no energy decrease on the contrary energy was increased that was making me sleep less I just realized. Not always high energy is very good I guess? ;) I am planning to gradually decrease the dosages further may be because if even the visible side effects were too much, I can not be sure what is going inside my body.

Wild Blueberries and Omega - I am not concerned about their side effects that much - but better to keep them in mind too.

I am making this update to keep others informed in case they might be having the same issues and if they come across this thread.

Runner - if you do not have a big weight problem that is effecting your health and daily life, do not bother with high dosages only for weight loss. It will have more consequences I believe. If there is a weight loss that effects your health to be dealt with - use them carefully. Opinions differ, but if you ask me it is not worth risking for weight.

Edited by re2weraqer235, 21 March 2010 - 04:54 PM.

#10 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

Thank you all for replies.

I now decreased the dosage of Bacopa and Ashwagandha to 1000 Mg each. And now there is no longer a feeling of falling down (lightheadedness?) and no longer weight loss. For now it happens to seem that it was making me a bit sleepless too - although there was no energy decrease on the contrary energy was increased that was making me sleep less I just realized. Not always high energy is very good I guess? ;) I am planning to gradually decrease the dosages further may be because if even the visible side effects were too much, I can not be sure what is going inside my body.

Wild Blueberries and Omega - I am not concerned about their side effects that much - but better to keep them in mind too.

I am making this update to keep others informed in case they might be having the same issues and if they come across this thread.

Runner - if you do not have a big weight problem that is effecting your health and daily life, do not bother with high dosages only for weight loss. It will have more consequences I believe. If there is a weight loss that effects your health to be dealt with - use them carefully. Opinions differ, but if you ask me it is not worth risking for weight.

Bacopa lowers blood pressure. 150 mg baccosides will make me dizzy...yeah I'm sensitive to bacopa. Taken at night it will make me sleep about 10-12 hours. Ashwagandha even at high doses does'nt make me dizzy. It will make me sleepy though.

Edited by Semisvensk, 03 April 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#11 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:37 PM

I always got that feeling of "falling down" when I was younger and my blood pressure was very low.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 425runner

• 158 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

I have naturally low blood presssure...hmm..maybe I should stay away from them? I literally have to eat salty foods to keep myself functioning, strange...but I guess better then hypertension.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users