Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Aging disease - cholesterol, cvd, and hormonal imbalances

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PhDStudent

• 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:04 AM

Basically I'm thinking about the hypothesis in http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/jf0501037 I believe it is gaining in popularity. Dr William Davis, Dr Marianco, among many others, are now using it for treatments. From an evolutionary perspective, this is the kind of behavior one would expect. Except that believing in the power of evolution, we should also believe that we can balance the patient's hormonal status using diet and natural supplements, not necessarily adding exogenous hormones. I mean, our genes should be good enough so that given proper nutrition we could avoid most diseases of civilization. Now from what I gathered, many people on paleo, or perhaps paleo with higher saturated fats (like PaNu from Dr Kurt G Harris) still have high LDL cholesterol.

If small LDL %, Lp(a), are low that might not be a real problem. Still what I'm getting at is that I think following these diets the body might be getting optimal nutrition and be trying to take advantage of it to produce optimal steroidogenesis, but somehow the intake/transport/mitonchondrial oxidation of cholesterol (in the adrenals, gonads, brain) into pregnenolone or the subsequent conversions (steroidogenesis) are not responding optimally.

Since most of us only started a paleo style diet a few years ago, what could be the effect of our previous diets on steroidogenesis, and how could we possibly compensate for it? Things that comes to mind are, if we had followed such a diet since birth we would most likely have eaten much more vitamin A in our life. Had we consummed the thyroids of animal, we would probably have consummed more iodine etc. Curiously Raymond Peat, as crazy as he often is, writes that the 3 most important factors to increase the synthesis of pregnenolone are avoiding PUFA's decrease in oxidative metabolism (hypoxia), eating a lot of vitamin A (not beta caroten) and fixing any hypothyroidism.

Others have suggested that increasing vitamin C status and (safely) iron's level could do the trick. I think the iron would fit in the context of having eaten livers for most of our life, and the vitamin C apparently was higher at some point in the paleolithic period (or reasoning a la Linus Pauling). I'm sure many other hypothesis could be made. Vitamin D would probably show up here too, as more sun exposure was almost certain, and it is perhaps the second most important vitamin in cholesterol regulation (after vitamin A). Zinc, magnesium and calcium were likely all present in higher concentrations in the body of a caveman etc.

From my personal experience, my LDL is quite high and pregnenolone quite low. I'm likely well below a traditional Inuit's level of vitamin A, tending to have a decreased mucus production, dry eyes, etc. I also react very strongly when given a fairly large dose (30 000-50 000IU of retinyl palmitate gives me some chest pain for 2 days).

What I'm really suggesting is that perhaps some sort of orthomolecular-type treament for a few months could solve this LDL issue in a very impressive manner. And at the same time possibly increasing the brain power of pregnenolone, the muscle and vitality power of testosterone, etc.

Other possibilities would be somehow increasing LH and ACTH (maybe with amino acids?), to increase enzymes StAR and P450scc. Iron and maybe sulfur could increase ferredoxins. Maybe ALCAR to increase cholesterol transport within cell. And I'm sure there are other possibilities. But except perhaps iron I think this is more likely to be taken care of by a paleo style diet.

Any thoughts?

#2 PhDStudent

• Topic Starter
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:49 AM

In case some might be following but not commenting, something that I had completely neglected but shouldnt have is pantethine, with its alleged ability to boost acetyl CoA.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users