Photo
- - - - -

Shy or introverted may process their world differently

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:24 AM

April 2, 2010: Researchers Find Differences In How The Brains Of Some Individuals Process The World Around Them
(PhysOrg.com) -- People who are shy or introverted may actually process their world differently than others, leading to differences in how they respond to stimuli, according to Stony Brook researchers and collaborators in China. Highly sensitive (compared to less highly sensitive) individuals show greater brain activation in visual attention areas of the brain when making judgements of subtle changes in scenes.
Sensory perception sensitivity (SPS), a personality trait characterized by sensitivity to internal and external stimuli, including social and emotional ones, is found in over one hundred other species, from fruit flies and fish to canines and primates. Biologists are beginning to agree that within one species there can be two equally successful “personalities.” The sensitive type, always a minority, chooses to observe longer before acting, as if doing their exploring with their brains rather than their limbs. The other type “boldly goes where no one has gone before.” The sensitive’s strategy, sometimes called reactive or responsive, is better when danger is present, opportunities are similar and hard to choose between, or a clever approach is needed. It is not an advantage when resources are plentiful or quick, aggressive action is required.

http://www.physorg.c...s189428801.html

I think this individual/personality type is probably overrepresented by members on this forum! I know it certainly hit a vibe with me. What is great though is through years of hard work I have overcome (even learned to use and take advantage of) my inbuilt shyness and social anxiety, whilst retained my introversion, reflection, and deep thinking tendencies which I believe make me a much more rigorous thinker than the average Joe (or at least many people I know). I have been reading hints and tidbits like this for years (I read most scientific magazines when I can; new scientist, scientific american, discover, etc), I think the evidence will continue to accumulate that we are a lot less responsible for our Personalities than we are taught to believe!

#2 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:24 AM

Elaine Aaron has written a lot on the highly sensitive person...actually she has a website.

www.hsperson.com/

Edited by NDM, 06 April 2010 - 02:25 AM.

#3 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:43 AM

More evidence that the human race is gradually separating into two psychological profiles, or "classes" if you will - the introverted so-called nerds and jocks / everyone else. The nerds -- oppressed for centuries -- have nothing to lose but their social chains; they have a world to win! Highly sensitive persons of the world, UNITE! Posted Image

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:59 AM

I think the evidence will continue to accumulate that we are a lot less responsible for our Personalities than we are taught to believe!

I agree. I have two kids, and they are like day and night, despite similar environments. It's pretty clear that most of our fundamental personality is based on things like receptor types and densities, excitation thresholds, etc; essentially our biochemistry and "wiring". There is a layer on top of that that is learned, and with the right training, people of many different personality types can be happy and successful. Some of them will be happy and successful regardless of their environments, while others will fail without the right environment.

#5 e Volution

• Topic Starter
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for the link NDM.

I agree. I have two kids, and they are like day and night, despite similar environments. It's pretty clear that most of our fundamental personality is based on things like receptor types and densities, excitation thresholds, etc; essentially our biochemistry and "wiring". There is a layer on top of that that is learned, and with the right training, people of many different personality types can be happy and successful. Some of them will be happy and successful regardless of their environments, while others will fail without the right environment.

Really interesting, I touched on this idea a couple days ago here, but haven't had an answer yet. I would love an informed individuals reasoned hypothesis as to what is going on in these circumstances.

#6 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:30 AM

More evidence that the human race is gradually separating into two psychological profiles, or "classes" if you will - the introverted so-called nerds and jocks / everyone else. The nerds -- oppressed for centuries -- have nothing to lose but their social chains; they have a world to win! Highly sensitive persons of the world, UNITE! Posted Image

I really don't think the human race is separating into two psychological profiles. I believe things are a bit more complex than that. I would actually argue the opposite is happening.

#7 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:33 AM

I also don't think nerds have been oppressed for centuries. If nerds have been oppressed, they certainly are not as oppressed in today's world where people seem to be more accepting of eachother.

Edited by morganator, 06 April 2010 - 03:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users