Photo
- - - - -

Member's diets

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 thinkdifferent

• 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

I think it could be interesting for less knowledgeable members (like me) to see what most esperienced ones eat on a dayly basis. Like we already have the regimens forum in the supplementation section.
Member could post their age, height, weight, activity level, particularity of the diet (are they on CR, or paleo or vegan or raw?) and then what they eat on a typical day.

For example:

I'm 27, 180 cm tall and weight about 63 kg. I don't know my bodyfat % but I can see my abs.I have a sedentary job as a computer programmer, I exercise 2 times a week with a session of about an hour of strenght training.

I have not a very structured diet, I'm still learning and don't want to do nothing extreme.I don't eat sugar, sugary drinks, packaged foods like biscuits ecc. I almost never use salt and use only extra virgin olive oil to dress almost all my servings.

A typical day is :

-breakfast: 1 banana + 1 apple + 1 whole egg + 1 white egg + some nuts + a cup of coffee (without sugar of course)

-lunch: a small plate of pasta + fish or lean meat + vegetables (usually broccoli plus a salad with tomatoes and carrots)

-snack (only on workout days): an apple and some nuts, or a small sandwith and cheese

-dinner: like lunch, plus a little piece of dark chocolate

-post dinner at 23.00 pm (only on workout days): tuna

supplementation
: a not too strong multivitamin and 500g vitamin C (I skip supplementation on workout days)

I know it's far from a perfect diet, but I'm just learning and don't live alone and many times I have to eat what other people cook, lunch at work is also a bit problematic.

#2 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:54 PM

Okay, well my diet is changing frequently (i've rcently been removing carb heavy fruit, veg, and tubers), but here is the current iteration. Hopefully the other members here don't have a heart attack. What I ate yesterday:

Morning:
- 1/4c of frozen wild berries.
- 30g whey protein in water and organic heavy whipping cream

Lunch:
- Organic chicken livers and thighs cooked in spices, butter, garlic, and baby broccoli.
- A large bowl of wild greens (mostly spinach / mustard greens) and olive oil

Dinner:
- Grass-fed beef and marrow bones cooked in butter, garlic.
- Steamed kale w/ olive oil

PWO:
- 1 crown of broccoli

Once or twice a week, I will allow myself some organic 100% baking chocolate, small portion of nuts or parsnip, artisan cheese, or cream cheese / eggs omlette. Carbs stay under 50g typically. CRON-o-meter says I am meeting or exceeding my RDIs. I take fish / cod liver oil, MSM, carnosine, D3, and glucosamine daily. Exercise 5 days weekly.

Bod pod rated my body fat at 6.2% last week.

Edited by Skotkonung, 08 April 2010 - 09:55 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 HaloTeK

• 254 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

Skotkonung, you sure do like your protein!

I wonder if your increased number of mitochondria (because of your muscles) are throwing out more junk than your more weakling IMM posters?

Edited by HaloTeK, 08 April 2010 - 10:43 PM.

#4 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

I'm right along the lines of Skot. Coincidentally I have a similar physical build from pics I've seen of him, but probably a bit taller.

Meals consist of various cuts of grass-fed beef with fats to bulk up the calories: usually some mixture of pastured butter, avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, and macadamia nuts, and unsweetened baking chocolate. I crock pot a lot of the meat with veggies like carrots, radishes, and onions. Just about every day I consume two squares of unsweetened baking chocolate and two glasses of red wine, and liberal use of spices on everything. 4-5 times per week I eat a large daily serving of greens from spinach, kale, broccoli crowns, peppers, and various asian greens, and 2-3 times per week I make a berry shake much like Skot's (2 cups berries, 1 scoop whey protein, coconut milk). I haven't had blood work in a long time, but my physical and mental health and energy all seem great.

I've tracked my nutrients in CRON-o-meter and get most of my nutrients, but could probably do more veggies. I take creatine and 5 caps fish oil a couple times per week, 6000 IU/day vit D, and just started Primal Defense probiotic, but otherwise don't do supplements. I'm in the anti-sugar/PUFA camp, and I think that's the most important part of metabolic health. Supplements someday, but for now it gets me by on my student budget.

#5 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

Skotkonung, you sure do like your protein!

I wonder if your increased number of mitochondria (because of your muscles) are throwing out more junk than your more weakling IMM posters?

Possibly? ;) Fast fibers have less mitochondria than slow fibers, which may make weight lifting a slightly better alternative to running or lifting with lighter weights at high duration? Regarding the protein, I have tried but can't seem to lower it without sacrificing body composition. I would ideally like to keep it low (protein is expensive), but oh well.

I'm not too worried dieing prematurely given that natural weight lifters tend to do alright in terms of exceeding the average life expectancy (Jack Lalanne comes to mind). Having a pro-growth lifestyle is probably not excellent in terms of maximum longevity; obviously smaller people (or people on CR) are expected to do best in terms of life extension. The way I figure it, some day I will be too old to lift weights and then I will roll into a CR type lifestyle for the rest of my days. At this point, having lifted weights for so long, I probably wouldn't stop at my young-ish age, even if I knew it would keep me from living to 120 years.

I sure hope that the glutathione from my protein and the plethora of greens I eat are cleaning up any damage that is occurring. We'll see I guess...

I'm right along the lines of Skot. Coincidentally I have a similar physical build from pics I've seen of him, but probably a bit taller.

Hey, I'm not exactly short you know ;) I'm about 6ft. How tall are you? Good diet by the way, trying to add more hardy winter greens can be difficult, but it is the easiest way to meet RDIs without blowing up caloric / carbohydrate intake.

Edited by Skotkonung, 08 April 2010 - 11:43 PM.

#6 oehaut

• 393 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:43 AM

I'm 5,4½, 138lbs at the moment, around 7% BF. I exercised 4 time a week, working mostly on relative strength for gymnastic purpose.

Here's what I eat on a typical day

Breakfast : 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 3/4 cup water, 1 free range organic whole egg, 150g of strawberry, 20g dark chocolat (85%), 5g of cinnamon, 30g whey iso chocolate

Diner: 1 whole tomatoes slightly cooked with half medium onion and garlic, plus 100-150g steamed broccoli with 1 tea spoon olive oil on it. 100g organic grass-fed beef cooked in a pan with water at low-temperature, with dried herbs.

I always train in the afternoon.

So, if I trained, it will be

Just after the training, 30g whey chocolate + 500ml of milk chocolate.

Then, 1 jour after

1 big spinach salad with olive oil+curcuma+black pepper. 1 cup baked red rice (or it can be quinoa or buckwheat). 100g free-range, organic feed chicken.

If I did not train, there will be no rice, but about 150-200g of different vegetables, usually green/red/yellow peppers, onions, garlic, and kale.

It gives me around 5 serving of vegetable a day + 1½ serving of fruit. Not quite enough, i'm working on upping this up, but It already make a lot of vegetable to eat, seriously!

I take only 1g fish oil daily and 2000UI vit d daily... for now... i'm working on a supp. program.

Edited by oehaut, 09 April 2010 - 01:45 AM.

#7 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:31 AM

upon wake:

1/2 cup of pomegranate juice w/ psyllium husk seeds (i don't like the idea of consuming fruit juices w/o any fiber)

breakfast:

1 cup of oats soaked overnight in apple vinegar cider and 1/2 scoop of whey protein (both destroy phytic acid)
100 g blueberries. sometimes alternate in strawberries/blackberries/grapes.
dash of cinnamon
1 tblspoon flaxseed
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
100g of brussel sprouts or some other green source like collards, turnip greens, etc.

lunch:
80g of wild alaskan salmon or sardine, typically with the bones (low mercury, high omega-3 content fish)
75g broccoli
25g red pepper
25g green pepper
25g mushroom
75g brussel sprouts
65g okra
50g beets
65g green peas
1 tablespoon olive oil
37.5g avocado
2.5g garlic
25g onion
50-100g of grains either in the form of oats (as described above, soaked overnight) or rice
100-250g of high calcium leafy greens like turnip greens, broccoli raab/rapini, collards etc.
4-8 almonds or some almond butter or some walnuts

dinner:
same thing as lunch but no salmon/major protein source. maybe lentils. less fats also (either no olive oil, or no almonds)
dessert of 5-10g of dark chocolate or grapes

been doing this for a while. i do vary it a bit, but the large veggie salad is pretty consistent (eat half at lunch and half at dinner). also have lots of green tea, supplements, etc. my supplement regimen looks a lot like Michael Rae's, though there are some differences. i started putting in cheese and some other stuff lately, that's not on this list, but i was getting almost all my calcium from leafy greens and fish before.

Edited by prophets, 09 April 2010 - 02:54 AM.

#8 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:48 AM

Breakfast
1. Three Hard or soft boiled (organic omega 3) eggs, chopped and mixed with a bit of melted butter or cheese or olive oil; or
2. Wild-blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, melted dark (85%) chocolate or macadamia nut butter (with cashew butter), and a banana; or
3. Oatmeal and/or hot buckwheat cereal with a bit of heavy cream and berries.
All meals with several cups of loose leaf green tea.
Pills: 2500 D3, 30mcg K2, 1.6 grams of omega 3

Lunch
1. Three Hard or soft boiled (organic omega 3) eggs, chopped and mixed with a bit of melted butter or olive oil (only when no eggs for breakfast), served with potatoes; or
2. Fatty beef or lean chicken/pork and potatoes; or
3. Sushi. I like the eel (I know, AGEs...) and salmon (I know, bad PUFA profile for farmed salmon...); or
4. Chipotle (carnitas, beans, sour cream, rice) with added coconut oil.
Often I bring a small salad to work too. I often eat an apple (skin only) or kiwi.
Pills: Quarter dose of multi-mineral (standard vareity without iron or, alternatively, a bone-specific formulation, with a bit of k1)

Dinner
Like lunch, but with many more vegetables (especially cabbage, asparagus, brocolli, parnsips, chard, spinach, carrots), mostly steamed. I often eat a sweet potato or squash. I also try to stew my meats for dinner, sometimes using coconut milk. I use many herbs and spices too. Good cheeses. Decaf tea (rooibos, green).
Pills: Quarter dose of magnesium citrate.

I use organic stuff whenever possible.

Chosing a diet involves a lot of compromises and trade offs. If I am out and can't find suitable choices, I will chose questionable carbs (bread, even sugar) before consuming questionable fats (PUFAs, trans). In principle, I would like to be low-carb(ish), but I don't know how to be low-carb and low-PUFA without consuming an amount of retinol and natural trans fat that concerns me. I make adjustments to what's described above, of course.

Edited by Jay, 09 April 2010 - 03:52 AM.

#9 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:55 AM

Calorie Restriction, Raw Vegan

#10 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:07 AM

Typical daily meal. I am a vegetarian.

Morning
-1/2 cup steel-cut oats
-25g protein blend (whey, rice, milk)
-handful of berries
-perhaps a slice of sprouted bread with jam

Lunch
-Baked sweet potato
-Lentil soup with seasonal vegetables
-Salad from the garden (arugula, spinach, turnip greens)

Mid afternoon
-Protein shake with ~25g protein, banana, flax oil, wheat germ oil, and oat/hemp milk

Dinner
-Quinoa/buckwheat/amaranth with olive oil
-Olives, walnuts, orange slices
-Organic cheese

#11 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:43 AM

Smoothie to consume half at breakfast half for a snack:
1/2 head of kale
2 cups of nonfat yogurt
1/3 cup or so of peanut butter
1 cup of frozen mixed berries
2 cups of water

(if I'm playing ultimate I'l have a cup or two of dry oats around 10;30)

Lunch:
Mixed veggies (usually some kind of greens) with olive oil
4-6oz of chicken

Dinner:
mixed veggies
4-6 oz of meat olive oil (sometime will have a small amount brown rice pasta).
Some fruit for dessert.
1/2 to a glass of wine once a week or so.

also have 2 tablespoons of tomato paste with olive oil with breakfast and dinner

#12 oehaut

• 393 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

lunch:
80g of wild alaskan salmon or sardine, typically with the bones (low mercury, high omega-3 content fish)
75g broccoli
25g red pepper
25g green pepper
25g mushroom
75g brussel sprouts
65g okra
50g beets
65g green peas
1 tablespoon olive oil
37.5g avocado
2.5g garlic
25g onion
50-100g of grains either in the form of oats (as described above, soaked overnight) or rice
100-250g of high calcium leafy greens like turnip greens, broccoli raab/rapini, collards etc.
4-8 almonds or some almond butter or some walnuts

How log does that take to eat? Seriously, just eating 200g of vegetable takes me quite some time. I usually have some very busy day and can't (or don't feel like) spent much more time than 1 hour on a meal, dishes included.

#13 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

How log does that take to eat? Seriously, just eating 200g of vegetable takes me quite some time. I usually have some very busy day and can't (or don't feel like) spent much more time than 1 hour on a meal, dishes included.

20-30 mins. i make it the night before and put it in a container. sit and read email while i eat it. if you ordered 80g of fish ontop of penne pasta, it wouldn't take you more than 20 mins to eat it. that's what it looks like, only all veggies.

the only thing that really takes any time is the 100-250g of leafy greens (in a separate container), because it can be hard to plow through.

one other guy in this thread said he ate like a half of a head of kale or something, and that's the kind of thing that takes a lot of time to eat... if anything.

Edited by prophets, 09 April 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#14 dhyard

• 7 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

Breakfast: About 4 oz raw seed based crackers (mostly sunflower and flax) doused with plenty of olive oil, 6-10 cups green tea, Fruit about 3 times a week, mainly strawberries and blueberries. When I don't eat fruit, I usually have cabbage or broccoli dipped in raw hummous

Snack on almonds and walnuts later in the morning

Lunch about 2-4 pm: Large salad, about 1 – 1 ½ lbs of greens, mainly radicchio, mizuna, spinach, tatsoi, frisee, chard, arugula, mustard greens, broccoli, broccoli or other sprouts, and sometime a few other things like kale, cabbage or other types of greens, no lettuce though. Pea protein, raw garlic powder, flax seeds, tomato with olive oil and white wine vinegar dressing.

About 1 oz. of raw cacao paste with a few goldenberries for sweetener and some almonds and walnuts later in the afternoon.

No dinner, but if I go out for dinner with friends I eat sushi or fish and a salad.

I'm 5'11, 155lbs. train with weights 4-5 times a week, aerobic, mainly rollerblading 2-3 times a week, also tennis and skiing off and on. Sit at the computer most of the rest of the time. Also take lots of supplements.

#15 Katharos

• 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:11 AM

Hello all!  I'm a 25 years old CR practitioner from Montreal, Canada.
Here's what I eat on a typical day:

Breakfast
- A green smoothie (strawberries, mango, kale, coconut oil and water)
- or steel cut oats / plain yogurt with bananas, blueberries and walnuts/almonds

Lunch
- Giant egg white omelet with mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, onions, garlic and lots of herbs and spices
- or a huge salad (spinach, kale, broccoli, cucumber, red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, or whatever vegetables I have on hand, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and herbs) sprinkled with nuts and seeds.
- or 2 soft boiled free range eggs, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, cottage cheese and spicy hummus

Dinner
- A bit of fish/chicken/grassfed beef with steamed veggies
- or a quinoa salad
- or vegeterian chili
- or warm soup and buckwheat crackers

Snacks
- Veggies with hummus, salsa or guacamole
- Crackers with almond butter or cottage cheese and berries
- A bowl of lightly salted edamame
- 1-2 pieces of 90% cocoa dark chocolate

And I also drink loads and loads of green tea!

#16 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:55 AM

24 year old male, 13% body fat, 142 -148 lbs.
Breakfast - Mush that consists of
oatmeal (not sure how much but not a lot)
25 grams protein powder
5-15 grams organic cocoa powder
1 1/2 table spoons brewers yeast
olive oil
coconut oil
various berries
New Chapter Berry Green powder
Nuts (walnuts or almonds)

Drink white tea throughout the day, sometimes green tea, both with lemon.

Lunch -
various raw non-strachy vegetables, greens, some sort of meat with garlic and a bit of olive oil

Dinner - varies, usually nothing too outside of paleo but I'll cheat sometimes.

Supplements, used to take piracetam but it no longer has an effect. Fish oil, multi vitamin d (4000) and choline.
I have no brain fog since I started eating like this and I used to get it a lot after meals.

#17 oehaut

• 393 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

Hello all!  I'm a 25 years old CR practitioner from Montreal, Canada.
Here's what I eat on a typical day:

Breakfast
- A green smoothie (strawberries, mango, kale, coconut oil and water)
- or steel cut oats / plain yogurt with bananas, blueberries and walnuts/almonds

Lunch
- Giant egg white omelet with mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, onions, garlic and lots of herbs and spices
- or a huge salad (spinach, kale, broccoli, cucumber, red and yellow peppers, tomatoes, or whatever vegetables I have on hand, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and herbs) sprinkled with nuts and seeds.
- or 2 soft boiled free range eggs, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, cottage cheese and spicy hummus

Dinner
- A bit of fish/chicken/grassfed beef with steamed veggies
- or a quinoa salad
- or vegeterian chili
- or warm soup and buckwheat crackers

Snacks
- Veggies with hummus, salsa or guacamole
- Crackers with almond butter or cottage cheese and berries
- A bowl of lightly salted edamame
- 1-2 pieces of 90% cocoa dark chocolate

And I also drink loads and loads of green tea!

Montreal... that's interesting. I'm from Sherbrooke ;) Welcome aboard!

#18 ElSenor

• 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

So do you guys eat these everyday?? How do you avoid food allergies? I find that when I consume the same thing everyday I become allergic to the food, so I go on a rotation diet. Also do you guys prepare your meals the day before...I find it extremely difficult to live a busy lifestyle and not succumb to eating out, because sometimes it takes me much to long to prepare my meals.

#19 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Skotkonug, any brand in particular of whipping cream you use? Is there any advantage it has over coconut oil/milk?

#20 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

So do you guys eat these everyday?? How do you avoid food allergies? I find that when I consume the same thing everyday I become allergic to the food, so I go on a rotation diet. Also do you guys prepare your meals the day before...I find it extremely difficult to live a busy lifestyle and not succumb to eating out, because sometimes it takes me much to long to prepare my meals.

IDK what issues you have w/ allergies, but I am not allegic to anything. I've had a test done. Nothing to wheat/gluten, nothing to mold, pollen, etc.

I make my food the night before and put it in a container. I make a lot of it on Sunday (batch of lentils, curry sauce). If I eat out, it's often salad or something near vegetarian. I try not to be a religious zealot about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users