• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

creating an Immortalist Town

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

Wouldn't it be cool to create an Immortalist town? We could pick a place in the world and all of us Immortalists could relocate to there so we could influence local laws and stuff.

I'm actually serious. What do you think of the idea?

Edited by The MILE/The Immortalist, 25 July 2010 - 10:24 PM.

#2 vog

• 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

Wouldn't it be cool to create an Immortalist town? We could pick a place in the world and all of us Immortalists could relocate to there so we could influence local laws and stuff.
It's literally a "grand" idea, but....
Not many people can break the bonds that hold them to a certain geographic area or social group. I personally would move to Canada in an instant if it were possible, but they don't want a lot of us up there. The thing is that actually having a town named for us would truly put us on the map, so to speak. I like the idea. And a colder climate might be better, given all the medical research on hypothermia and all. Thank you for posting the idea.
I'm actually serious. What do you think of the idea?

#3 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:36 AM

Sure let's call our capital Longecity and the country Transhumvania because it sounds cool.
We could have local pharmacy selling Kurzweils supplements, school teaching our children about immortality and transhumanism, Singularity institute for higher education, Cinemas showing immortalist movies like The Transcendent Man or Twilight, Temple of Vampire for our spiritual needs right next to the immortalist cemetary... Well I guess cryonics would be compulsory for all citizens so no cemetaries or graves but we would need some strong secret police and censorship to stop dethist propaganda from spreading.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:52 AM

Sure let's call our capital Longecity and the country Transhumvania because it sounds cool.
We could have local pharmacy selling Kurzweils supplements, school teaching our children about immortality and transhumanism, Singularity institute for higher education, Cinemas showing immortalist movies like The Transcendent Man or Twilight, Temple of Vampire for our spiritual needs right next to the immortalist cemetary... Well I guess cryonics would be compulsory for all citizens so no cemetaries or graves but we would need some strong secret police and censorship to stop dethist propaganda from spreading.

Temple of the vampire for spiritual needs? I will say this as politely as I can but GTFO of here. In an Immortalist town there would probably be no churches or religious activities. Maybe some Agnostics but thats about it. I've noticed most people here at Imminst are atheists.

I'm not saying create our own country, I'm suggesting we make our own town or at least move into an area to boost the Immortalist population.

Edited by The MILE/The Immortalist, 26 July 2010 - 04:27 PM.

#5 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

Yes, there should be more congregating in areas where possible for sure. When people work together they get a lot more done. We need an office with common resources, because when you do they can be bigger and you can have more of them. A lot of slow progress can come from boredom, but working with people who are going in the same direction gets more done with is more fun, exciting and fulfilling.

So Vog you live in Michigan? Me and Justin are in Wisconsin, the Mile and JDKasinsky are in Toronto, CI is near Detroit. I wonder if we should plan a mini rally or something.

#6 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

Temple of the vampire for spiritual needs? I will say this as politely as I can but GTFO of here. In an Immortalist town there would probably be no churches or religious activities. Maybe some Agnostics but thats about it. I've noticed most people here at Imminst are atheists.

I'm not saying create our own country, I'm suggesting we make our own town or at least move into an area to boost the Immortalist population.

I wasn't very serious when writing this post but talking about religion, groups that tend to create this kind of communities are ussually very religious, notably some cults also different types of radicals like neo-nazis or Libertarian anarchists. It would be possible but it wouldn't give us any good PR quite the opposite people would say "look at this freaks they believe in some weird stuff and separate from the normal society this people are dangerous" although when you think about it even negative publicity might be better then no publicity at all, from what I remember Alcor benefited on "controversies" in the past so who knows if you really want to live in the Immortalville or something why not, just don't build any weird, nerdy stuff there like let's say giant Aubrey de Grey statue.

#7 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

Letting imagination roam, I think a district of a large city would be better. A separate town, like Kolos said, spures this kind of anti-cultic reaction among uninvolved people, not to mention those living in such one - issue cities indeed tend to become fanatical I guess. An immortalist neighbourhood would just become hip and cool to hang out in, like some bohemian parts of New York or some other town.

And lol - Twilight, yeah, I'd be stuck in the cinema the whole day and night. And the next day too !

Edited by chris w, 26 July 2010 - 08:41 PM.

#8 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

From my line of thinking, wouldn't an Immortalist town be a scientific and technological community of Transhumanists with a university with topnotch research labs at it's centre and with biotech and supplement companies comprising much of it's business sector? Maybe describing it as an Immortalist town isn't the best adjective. An Anti-Aging town? Transhuman City? Maybe just call it Kurzwvill after Ray Kurzweil?

Edited by The MILE/The Immortalist, 26 July 2010 - 09:45 PM.

#9 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

Letting imagination roam, I think a district of a large city would be better. A separate town, like Kolos said, spures this kind of anti-cultic reaction among uninvolved people, not to mention those living in such one - issue cities indeed tend to become fanatical I guess. An immortalist neighbourhood would just become hip and cool to hang out in, like some bohemian parts of New York or some other town.

And lol - Twilight, yeah, I'd be stuck in the cinema the whole day and night. And the next day too !

What type of city do you have in mind? What do you think the population size should be? Do you think it should be in the suburbs of a city or in the central part of a city? It would have to be a place where the laws of the country don't go too much against the ideals of Transhumanists.

Personally I think it would be better to live in a less densly populated and affordable(for most people) area to live

Edited by The MILE/The Immortalist, 26 July 2010 - 09:40 PM.

#10 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

Yes, there should be more congregating in areas where possible for sure. When people work together they get a lot more done. We need an office with common resources, because when you do they can be bigger and you can have more of them. A lot of slow progress can come from boredom, but working with people who are going in the same direction gets more done with is more fun, exciting and fulfilling.

So Vog you live in Michigan? Me and Justin are in Wisconsin, the Mile and JDKasinsky are in Toronto, CI is near Detroit. I wonder if we should plan a mini rally or something.

A mini rally sounds interesting but I think it would be more effective to get a rally of 50 or 100 people.

Edited by The MILE/The Immortalist, 26 July 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#11 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

This is why I really want to move to Cali. I'm sick of proselytizing and I want to interface more with some more like-minded individuals. We really need to come together to create a better future; a city on a hill. Except, the internet is our town. We need to grow a metropolitan fractal so we may spread. What we really need to be focusing on is more and improved ways of communicating with each other, for advocacy, activism, enlightenment, etc.

After reading this article by Andrea Kuszewski,

If sex makes you smarter via changes in synaptic strength following the act, can you get the same benefit from virtual sex, as long as your brain is convinced it is real at the time?

...my choice is teledildonics! USB toys in every home: plug-in plug ins!

#12 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:02 AM

This is why I really want to move to Cali. I'm sick of proselytizing and I want to interface more with some more like-minded individuals. We really need to come together to create a better future; a city on a hill. Except, the internet is our town. We need to grow a metropolitan fractal so we may spread. What we really need to be focusing on is more and improved ways of communicating with each other, for advocacy, activism, enlightenment, etc.

Do you mean silicon valley California?

I agree with you on every level. We really need to get out into the real world and interact and communicate with each other for activism. I think we should start by making a head office somewhere.

For anybody who's interested I found that humanity + (the world Transhumanist Association) has local chapter set up across the world. http://humanityplus....rs-of-humanity/ That would be a good start to communicating with each other and organizing advocacy plans.

Edited by The MILE/The Immortalist, 27 July 2010 - 05:03 AM.

#13 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

You dont need a town, you just need more people congregating in the same general areas for a common purpose, which is how pretty much everything does it.

#14 The Immortalist

• Topic Starter
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

You dont need a town, you just need more people congregating in the same general areas for a common purpose, which is how pretty much everything does it.

Yes I agree. Perhaps I should have made the topic of this thread "Creating a real life Immortalist community".

#15 YOLF

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Has anyone mentioned Venturville? Well IIRC it's more of a small hotel resort with around 20 rooms. Look up the Creekside Preserve. It's part of the Society for Venturism (an atheist but open to all faiths church) in Prescott AZ. It's about 1:45 from Scottsdale (where Alcor is). Though from what I understand it's on unincorperated land, meaning that with enough people moving there it could become it's own town.

#16 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

I reckon that even if there could not be an actual town built, there should perhaps be offices around the world that are somehow "official" to this cause. I think an actual physical presence no matter how small could enhance credibility.

#17 YOLF

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

Oh, Ventureville is no more. However there are opportunities for us to make this happen. 

Ventureville had the goal of moving a significant number of people to a particular community and relied on getting enough people to leave their present circumstances to buy houses in a particular area. 

What I propose is building Longe Town from a charitable cause. There are many people who are on disability who, like James Swayze (someone for whom we funded cryopreservation), can't afford to live forever. They get about $600/mo for disability and $300/mo food stamps. I've explained in the link below how we could enable such people to benefit from the coming unlimited lifespans. This will work if we get the minimum number of people together.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/68378-at-the-bottom/?view=findpost&p=650942 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users