Photo
- - - - -

Info about Modafinil?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:42 PM

While not actually an endorsement, Ray Kurzweil mentions Modafinil as well as Donazepril in "Fantastic Voyage."

"Modafinil (Provigil) is FDA-approved for the treatment of narcolepsy, but many college students have found it can help them focus while studying for exams.  Others use it as a cognitive enhancer; they find they have more energy, need less sleep, and can work and play harder when they take it."

Now, considering these are both controlled substances in the US, I wonder why he would mention these and not some more readily available alternatives.

Are there some good alternatives or weaker legal versions? Do any of you have experience with Modafinil (known also as Provigil or Alertec in Canada)? I am interested, but not if it's going to cost $140+ because I have to obtain it outside the US. [huh]

#2 jeromewilson

• 153 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:52 PM

I was wondering about it recently too... see here:

http://www.imminst.o...730

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 enigma

• 143 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:03 PM

This site has it for $80, they most likely stock the Sun Pharma version, ive read elsewhere they are a reliable retailer.

I tried Adrafinil about for about a week over a month ago. Modafinil is the improved version of Adrafinil, it isnt harsh on the liver and has less side effects.

Was taking at the time : Adrafinil, Piracetam, DMAE, Ginkgo Biloba

Positive effects of Adrafinil at 2 tablets, (600 mg i think) per day

* Greatly enhanced alertness.
* Did not make it more difficult to sleep.
* Mild euphoria.
* Enhanced Focus.

Side effects (stopped after I ceased taking Adrafinil.)

* Memory decline, not at first but by the 6th day it was useless to read a page of a book as nothing would be retained.
* Significant difficulty with speech and typing.
* Mind felt very foggy, decline in logic forming capacity.
* Dry mouth.

This was a pity because from reading testimonials, the side effects appear minimal for most people. Remedyfind.com is a good source of testimonials
for Modafinil, it is voted there, surprisingly enough as the best treatment for depression. It would definatley be worth trying Modafinil if you havent already.
However, just keep in mind that around 1 in 25 - 30 people mention some form of cognitive decline or confusion as a side effect in testimonials, as well, the
mechanism for Modafinil is not well understood but I get the impression it is a lot safer than Amphetamines.

#4 spider

• 181 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:23 PM

Hello,

I thought that www.qhi.co.uk also ships to the U.S.A. They sell Alertec (modafinil) 30 x 100 mg for 76.90 euros and Olmifon (adrafinil) 40 x 300 mg 20.65 euros. Compaired with other sellers, these are reasonable prices.

I read your concerns about the safety of these stimulants. It is probably best to use these substances only when needed, e.g. when your are studying for exams. Or perhaps you can use them safely when you take them three times per week, instead of using them every day.

I've read that there is a chance that generic versions of modafinil will be produced next year. That would be great, but I'm sure that the pharmaceutical company will fight to prolong their patent.

P.S.

Enigma, I liked that you mentioned the effects you experienced with Adrafinil. I would appreciate it, if more people at this forum would do this.

#5 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:55 PM

There's a few different versions of modafinil available. Pharma-Orders, formerly Dugs-One, carries the more potent 200 mgs (generics) and in greater quantity and cheaper than QHI. I have used QHI and the turn around time is really high. Many people have used drugs-one for modafinil with good results.

#6 JMorgan

• Topic Starter
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:49 AM

Strange. Now I seem to be getting conflicting information regarding the effects of this drug. Everything I've read til now has suggested that these have very little side effects, are useful against mild depression, allows you to focus better and increases memory. But some of what you've said, and the info on anagen.net suggests otherwise. [huh]

Enigma, what exactly would be the point to taking Adrafinl if you experience memory decline and lack of focus? I thought this was supposed to do the opposite.

I'm really looking for something that would help me with clarity and focus, with a little extra energy to get things done.

#7 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:57 AM

It's been years since I last took it, but I found modafinil to be a great study aid. I never saw any side effects, it just made me feel 'normal' during and after all-nighters.

#8 enigma

• 143 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:34 AM

Enigma, what exactly would be the point to taking Adrafinl if you experience memory decline and lack of focus? I thought this was supposed to do the opposite.

There is no point for me to take it but most people dont experience significant side effects, the effects vary from person to person and for some people it is very beneficial. Actually I think Adrafinil helped my focus it just wasnt useful when you can focus but not take something in.

Anagen has 100 Modafinil pills @ 200mg for $80, so if you want the benefits of Modafinil, its probably worth a shot, chances are you wont have bad side effects.

#9 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:28 AM

I had some very subtle negative side effects from it.... So did Scottl if I remember correctly... But for others, it is the jewel in their regimen.

I know I am running my mouth off... But it was not a "fantastic voyage" for me.

I occasionally take like 50mgs or a 1/4 dose to wake up. 1/2 is too strong. There is some psychological addiction to it, but nothing physical in my humble opinion like with stimulants like coffee, nicotine, ritalin.

It is "cleaner" than coffee and nicotine.... meaning that the side effects are less than those.

Take a half dose to start out with, in case you respond harshly to it. I think nicotine and cafeine and ginseng highten the stimulation and make it more intense. Some athletes like to use it for a more intense workout.

Your Mileage May Vary. If you don't respond well to it... and you slowly have some articulating as with one of the other posters, stop taking it. Or with me, I got a little clumsy and dyslexic.

Pinball

#10 vastman

• 155 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:42 AM

I've been periodically taking Modifinil for the past 7 months as an adjunct to using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. Lived on speed for many years befor finding out about my apnea, which I feel is much more rampent and largely undiagnosed amongst the general population. I know of numerous stimulant users/foggy folks and others just having a bit of difficulty concentrating who have been found to be suffering from apnea.... chronically treating the symptoms without knowing what's really wrong... I'd strongly urge getting this checked out (home sleep recorders are readily available under most health plans...). Modifinil basically shuts down the sleep center in the brain and is great for those moments when groggyness ain't what you need but is no substitute for a solid sleep cycle. M is such an attractive drug with such little negatives I can see where it seems like a nifty adjunct to our arsenal of "life enhancement" toolkits but interupting the sleep cycle is a serious thing and as such M should be used with caution. I feel grateful to have it available but use it sparingly, reserving it for those times when I've fallen asleep without my mask or it has come off during the night and resulted it a night of little real sleep because of my apneas which I don't even notice but leave me sleep deprived. It is definately not a nootropic ala peracitam and should be viewed as something more akin to vassopresson for those moments when an extra tool is needed for clarity.... used as such I see no drawbacks. cheers, all

#11 pinballwizard

• Life Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:30 AM

I've been periodically taking Modifinil for the past 7 months as an adjunct to using a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. Lived on speed for many years befor finding out about my apnea, which I feel is much more rampent and largely undiagnosed amongst the general population. I know of numerous stimulant users/foggy folks and others just having a bit of difficulty concentrating who have been found to be suffering from apnea.... chronically treating the symptoms without knowing what's really wrong... I'd strongly urge getting this checked out (home sleep recorders are readily available under most health plans...). Modifinil basically shuts down the sleep center in the brain and is great for those moments when groggyness ain't what you need but is no substitute for a solid sleep cycle. M is such an attractive drug with such little negatives I can see where it seems like a nifty adjunct to our arsenal of "life enhancement" toolkits but interupting the sleep cycle is a serious thing and as such M should be used with caution. I feel grateful to have it available but use it sparingly, reserving it for those times when I've fallen asleep without my mask or it has come off during the night and resulted it a night of little real sleep because of my apneas which I don't even notice but leave me sleep deprived. It is definately not a nootropic ala peracitam and should be viewed as something more akin to vassopresson for those moments when an extra tool is needed for clarity.... used as such I see no drawbacks. cheers, all

sleep apnea is brutal, I feel for you... I hope it gets better. Good luck.

#12 spider

• 181 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

"There's a few different versions of modafinil available. Pharma-Orders, formerly Dugs-One, carries the more potent 200 mgs (generics) and in greater quantity and cheaper than QHI. I have used QHI and the turn around time is really high. Many people have used drugs-one for modafinil with good results. " (wannafulfill)

Wannafulfill, thanks for the info. [thumb]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 jolly

• 154 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:18 AM

It's got good and bad sides to it.....I pulled myself off it after 8 months on.

http://www.imminst.o...f=169&t=5661&s=

Strange. Now I seem to be getting conflicting information regarding the effects of this drug. Everything I've read til now has suggested that these have very little side effects]

Enigma, what exactly would be the point to taking Adrafinl if you experience memory decline and lack of focus?  I thought this was supposed to do the opposite.

I'm really looking for something that would help me with clarity and focus, with a little extra energy to get things done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users