Photo

West Nile Infects 88 People In United States

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 01:28 PM

(Originally posted by Bob Drake at BJKlein.com)

West Nile Infects 88 People in United States

Mon Aug 5, 4:16 PM ET
By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

Posted Image

West Nile virus has infected 88 people and killed four of them, health officials said on August 5, 2002. Describing an outbreak that has taken firm hold in the United States and is spreading more quickly than expected, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said more suspected cases are being checked out in several states. (Rich Clement/Reuters Graphic)

(excerpts)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - West Nile virus ( news - web sites) spread to three new states over the weekend and has now infected 88 people and killed four of them, health officials said on Monday.

A few of the people who become infected develop flu-like symptoms such as fever and muscle aches, and a small percentage of these can develop encephalitis or meningitis -- inflammations of the brain and spinal cord. These can turn deadly, especially in the elderly.

The four deaths so far this year have been in Louisiana and three were in patients over 70, who often have less-than-robust immune systems. The fourth victim was 58, according to the Louisiana health department.

Yahoo News Article

Copyright © 2002 Reuters Limited.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Mind:

I was listening to an "expert" virologist on the radio the other day regarding West Nile Virus. I presented him with the question of "How long has West Nile been in the U.S.?" Of course the standard answer is 3 years - first detected in 1999. I then said "doesn't it seem phenomenal that it has spread across the country this fast?" The dude hemmed and hawed and said, well not really. NOT REALLY!! I THOUGHT TO MYSELF. The CDC is claiming that mosquitoes, infect birds, birds carry the disease to other parts of the country. In other parts of the country mosquitoes pick it up from birds, and then mosquitoes give it to humans. The CDC claims that the disease remains in cold regions because some adult mosquitoes can "overwinter" (stay alive during winter), by living in city sewers and other relatively warm locations. This is preposterous. First of all, birds only migrate once a year. This means that from the original state of detection, the infected birds would have to migrate to all the other 34 states in 2 migration cycles. Also, I propose that only a very tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of mosquiotes (probably 1 in a 100 million) make it through winter in cold regions. Combine these two realities and it becomes unlikely that the disease has only been here 3 years.

What is the more likely scenario? It is such a rare disease that no one ever noticed it here before. After all, only 1 out every 250 people who become infected with West Nile Virus (a stat from the virologist on the radio) develops any symptoms at all. From the case histories and even from bobdrake's post above, we can see that the vast majority of the 22 fatalities (in 3 years) are among the old and infirm.

22 fatalities in 3 years, and the media and the CDC treat it like the black plague. In all the stories you have heard about West Nile Virus how many have ended with the phrase "Most people have nothing to fear from this virus"? A person living in the U.S. is 14 times more likely to be killed by lightning than to die from west nile virus. How many of you out there are worried about being struck by lightning every day when you get out of bed?

Given the cost of monitoring and testing for the disease, and all the chemical spraying that has gone on in various localities across the east and southeast of the U.S. the cost per fatality society has doled out for this disease is probably around 1 million dollars. Contrast this with the fact that we only spend about 1,000 dollars per cancer fatality and it is a reason to get mad.

The West Nile Virus evolution in the U.S. has followed a similar path as other supposedly deadly viruses in the U.S. 1st the CDC claims a "new" virus has been found (usually comes from Africa). 2nd the CDC fuels a media hysteria with reports of it spreading wildly across the country (while neglecting to state its true impact on society). 3rd, Congress or other national and state institutions allocate enormous amounts of money to fight a disease hardly anyone has to worry about. Meanwhile research into the true killer diseases among us go underfunded.

OK, I cannot resist bringing up the parallels to HIV and AIDS. I know we are all old enough to remember all the scare stories from the 80's about how AIDS was going to affect everyone's family. 30 million were going to die by 1989, yada, yada, yada. We are treated to more AIDS scare stories every year even though no prediction of its spread or impact has even comes close to being true (check out posts in the "HIV does not cause AIDS" forum). But scare stories do fill the coffers. Just look at what former President Clinton proposed earlier this year, that we double our foreign AIDS assistance to 4 billion dollars a year. We already spend 40 times more per fatality on AIDS than on Cancer (not to mention Alzheimers and other mental disorders). How much more do we have to spend before people come to their senses.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By Bob Drake

Mind,
Thanks for your contribution.
They are now saying that the West Nile Virus is spreading.
Check out the story below.
Bob

Top Stories - Reuters
Virginia, Nebraska Report First West Nile Patients
Fri Aug 23,10:24 PM ET

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent
(excerpts)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Sixteen people have died of West Nile fever and 365 have been made ill by the virus, including the first patients in Nebraska and Virginia, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ( news - web sites) reported on Friday

At least 40 states have reported some West Nile activity this year. Health authorities in New Mexico confirmed that two horses there were infected with the virus, the first time West Nile had been discovered in the state. One of the horses has since died.

The CDC reports 171 human cases and eight deaths in Louisiana, 91 cases and three deaths in Mississippi, 28 cases and one death in Texas, 26 cases and one death in Illinois, 11 in Missouri, five in Alabama, six each in Georgia and Indiana, as well as cases in the District of Columbia, Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, New York, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin. There have been two deaths in Georgia and one in Kentucky.

Article Link

Copyright © 2002 Reuters Limited

#4 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 05:23 PM

http://story.news.ya...lo_wews/1300524

Local - NewsNet5

12 Local Residents Could Have West Nile Virus (excerpts)

Sun Aug 25,12:39 PM ET

With 19 deaths across the nation, including one in Ohio, a lot of people are getting worried about West Nile virus.

The number of probable human cases of West Nile virus has grown as well, to 370 nationwide and 12 in Cuyahoga County alone.

Seven women and five men from Brook Park, Cleveland, Middleburg Heights, Warrensville Heights and Euclid are suspected to have the virus.

NewsChannel5's Angie Lau reported that one Cleveland neighborhood is taking extra precaution, after two of its own have fallen victim to the virus.

Finding two dead birds on her lawn is enough to make a mother head inside with her 2-year-old. West Nile virus has moved into her Old Brooklyn neighborhood.

"People have to keep the standing water clean from their yards," Theresa Oliveri said. "As well as gutters -- keep your gutters clean. People don't even think of that."

Copyright © 2002 NewsNet5.com.

#5 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 05:27 PM

http://story.news.ya.../170/23xne.html

World Photos - Reuters

Posted Image

The Culex quinquefasciatus mosquito, believed to play a role in the spread of West Nile virus, is seen bloated with blood on a human finger in this 2001 file photo. Authorities in Illinois, New York, Michigan and Ohio reported four more deaths suspected to be from the mosquito-borne West Nile virus, possibly adding to the list of 16 confirmed deaths nationally from the virus. Initial blood tests showed an 81-year-old man from Melville, Long Island, east of New York City, died of the virus, a spokeswoman for the Suffolk County Health Department said on August 24, 2002. If the man did in fact have the virus, he would be the first person in the New York City area to die from the illness this year. Photo by Reuters

Copyright © 2002 Yahoo! Inc.

#6 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 05:32 PM

http://story.news.ya...us/west_nile_30

U.S. National - AP

West Nile Suspected in Two Deaths (excerpts)
Sun Aug 25, 7:46 AM ET
By ERIC TUCKER, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - West Nile virus ( news - web sites) is suspected in the deaths of an 81-year-old man on Long Island and a 65-year-old man in Michigan, health officials said.

If confirmed, the two cases would bring the number of deaths from the disease this year to 18.

In New York, preliminary blood tests indicated that an 81-year-old man from Melville died of the virus on Monday, Suffolk County Health Department spokeswoman Mildred Dinda, said Friday. She said the man had been ill for about 12 days with symptoms consistent with the virus, including muscle pain, a rash and fever.

The Michigan victim died Tuesday after becoming ill about a week ago, and a test indicating that he probably was infected with the mosquito-borne virus was given after his death, according to David R. Johnson, the chief medical executive for the Michigan Department of Community Health.

Copyright © 2002 The Associated Press.

#7 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 05:40 PM

http://www.bioterry....us-syndrome.asp

West Nile Virus - Classic Symptoms

Posted Image

© Copyright 5/2000
Paul Rega, M.D.
www.bioterry.com

#8 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 05:58 PM

http://www.ect.uga.edu/westnilevirus/

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.ect.uga.e...s/files/Q&A.htm

*West Nile Q&A* (excerpts)

What is West Nile virus?

West Nile virus is a virus spread by mosquitos. It infects birds, but can be spread to humans by mosquitos that feed on infected birds and then bite humans. The virus can't be spread by person-to-person contact.

Historically, WNV has been found in parts of Africa, west Asia, eastern Europe and the Middle East. The virus was identified in the United States for the first time in 1999.

WNV is closely related to the virus that causes St. Louis encephalitis, which has caused illnesses in Georgia in the past.

What are the symptoms?

Most people who are infected with WNV have no symptoms or may have a mild flu-like illness with a fever, headache and body aches before they recover. In some, particularly the elderly, the virus can cause encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain.

Symptoms usually occur five to 15 days after the bite of an infected mosquito and may include: high fever, severe headache, nausea, stiff neck, confusion, muscle weakness and coma.

If you experience any of these symptoms or have any concerns about your health, contact your physician.

Copyright © 2001 by The University of Georgia
College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences

#9 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 06:07 PM

http://pherec.org/en...Entguide11.html

West Nile Virus Fact Sheet (excerpts)
John L. Petersen
John A. Mulrennan Sr., Public Health Entomology Research and Education Center
Florida A&M University

EntGuide # 11 - An extension publication of Florida A&M University

Posted Image

The Virus Transmission Cycle

Mosquitoes transmit West Nile virus, but they must first get the virus from an infected source. Birds are the reservoir (source) of West Nile virus. In New York, it was bird deaths that first alerted public health officials to the presence of virus in the transmission area. The virus is transmitted from infected bird to uninfected bird by the bite of an infected female mosquito. If an infected mosquito bites a person, the virus may be transmitted. If an infected mosquito feeds on an animal other than bird or human, the virus may be transmitted. Horses are infected in this way. Humans and horses are not considered to be significant sources of infection for other animals, nor for long-term maintenance of the virus.

Many species of birds have been found to harbor WN. Crows and blue jays have been found to be particularly susceptible. Crow deaths have been an important measure of WN activity in New York and New Jersey.

Several mosquito species have been implicated in the transmission of WN. No single species is considered the culprit. It is possible, even likely, that additional mosquito species will be implicated as the virus spreads to additional states. Mosquitoes of the Culex pipiens complex have played an important role in the northeast and are being closely monitored as possible vectors of WN.

#10 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 06:19 PM

http://cbc.ca/national/news/westnile/

Posted Image
Posted Image

*West Nile Virus Facts* (excerpts)
Robin Rowland and Gary Graves
CBC News Online | Updated August 2001

Posted Image

What is West Nile Virus

West Nile virus, discovered in the West Nile area of Uganda in 1937, has spread to Mediterranean and temperate parts of Europe and, now, to North America. It is carried and spread by mosquito. It can cause fatal inflammation of the spinal cord and brain (encephalitis) in certain birds, horses and humans. It is closely related to St. Louis encephalitis virus, found in North America.

In 1957, the virus was blamed for the deaths of several elderly patients in Israel. In 1960, it was observed in horses in Egypt and France. In 1999, a strain said to be virtually identical to the Israeli strain was detected in New York City. In August 2001, it was confirmed in ten dead birds found in southern Ontario, but there are still no cases of human infection in Canada.

There is currently no vaccine against West Nile virus encephalitis.

How is it spread?

The Culex pipiens or common household mosquito spreads the virus when it feeds on a blood meal from infected birds. Scientists believe that the most likely "reservoir" for the virus in North America is the common sparrow, which can tolerate the infection. Among birds, the virus has had the greatest impact among crows. In 1999, in the New York area, the crow population crashed by about 90 per cent in a few months.

Ten days to two weeks after the initial blood meal, the West Nile virus reaches the mosquito's salivary glands and can then be transmitted to birds, animals or humans. Since 1999, the virus has been found in wild birds, humans and horses in the northeastern United States.

Posted Image

There is no evidence that West Nile virus can be spread from human to human. Nor is there evidence that a human can contract the West Nile virus by handling infected birds. Scientists believe the human immune system prevents the virus from multiplying in large numbers. That prevents humans from transmitting the virus to mosquitoes.

#11 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 06:35 PM

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/epi/wnv.htm

Posted Image

How to eliminate mosquito breeding areas

- Turn over or remove containers in your yard where rainwater collects, such as potted plant trays, buckets, or toys.
- Empty birdbaths once a week.
- Remove old tires from your yard.
- Clean roof gutters and downspout screens.
- Eliminate standing water on flat roofs, boats, and tarps.

How to protect yourself from biting mosquitoes

- Wear long, loose and light-colored clothing.
- Use insect repellent products with no more than 35% DEET for
adults and less than 10% for children.
- Follow label instructions when using insect repellents.

#12 Bruce Klein

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 07:17 PM

Bob, I though about you today.... I was outside jumping rope this morning.. getting a little exercise, and was bit by a mosquito on the inside of my forearm. Susan got on to me and said I needed to be wearing repellant... but it was in the morning .. jeez Ohh well.. I'll keep you posted on any symptoms.

#13 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 12:18 AM

Bruce,

I wonder how toxic these repellants might be.

Wearing long sleeves might be a good answer until we investigate the repellant issue.

Even if the mosquito did have the WNV, your chances of getting sick are very small.

Bob

#14 chestnut

• 152 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 02:08 AM

Bob,
thank you for another incredible post. I was just telling BJ to be more careful and your posts really helped me win that argument ;) as well as the need to clean our gutters [lol] As i understand it, children, the elderly and the sick are more susceptible and usually healthy individuals do not have to worry as much. Question: once bitten how long before symptoms? how long without treatment before it's too late? what is the treatment?--antibiotics?
thanks as always.

#15 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 03:30 AM

Chestnut,

Thanks for the kind words! [roll]

Question: once bitten how long before symptoms?

Symptoms usually occur five to 15 days after the bite of an infected mosquito and may include: high fever, severe headache, nausea, stiff neck, confusion, muscle weakness and coma.

How long without treatment before it's too late?

Unknown

What is the treatment?

http://www.bioterry....rus-therapy.asp

Therapy
1. Supportive
2. Ribavirin (in vitro studies)
3. Immunglobulin (containing high titers of WNV Antibodies): 1 Report

© Copyright 5/2000
Paul Rega, M.D.
www.bioterry.com

From my research, viruses in general can be combated by using garlic (prefer raw) and oregano. :D

Oregono can be purchased under the "Orgamax" label. It is manufactured by North American Herb and Spice Co. I take "Orgamax" every day and keep a good supply around in case of emergencies. Both garlic and oregono are effective against the full spectrum of viruses. I personally do not take antibiotics unless in an emergency situation which means I have not taken them for over 10 years.

Bob

PS - I love wolves, cats, eagles and hawks. I learned this respect while growing up from a shaman friend. When I entered the woods with my shaman friend, he showed absolute respect for the woods as well as all the life contained within it.

http://www.galleryon...m/bateman_w.htm

Posted Image

ROBERT BATEMAN
"WOLF PACK IN MOONLIGHT"

The wolves move as silently as ghosts along the moonlit river. At times they almost seem transparent. They seem to almost disappear. The longer you watch, the more you discover. - Robert Bateman

#16 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 03:55 AM

http://www.mosquitob...todiseases.html

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

*Diseases Carried by Mosquitoes*

Every year, over one million people worldwide die from mosquito-borne diseases. Mosquitoes can carry many different kinds of diseases including malaria, heartworm, dengue fever, encephalitis and yellow fever.

Posted Image
Posted Image

West Nile Virus: A Spreading Threat

the brain caused by bacterial or viral infections. It has been responsible for millions of human infections from the Western Mediterranean and Africa through the Middle East. In 1996 the West Nile virus spread into Europe and in 1999 it was found in New York City. Out of 62 confirmed cases in New York seven fatalities were reported. The following year, 21 cases, including two deaths, were reported in the area. In 2001, 56 people, 400 horses and thousands of wild birds were affected. At least eight people died.

Symptoms of the disease begin three to 12 days following a bite from an infected mosquito. Young children, adults over the age of 50 and individuals with weak immune systems are more at risk for severe infections. Early symptoms include fever, headache, body aches, drowsiness, vomiting, a skin rash and swollen lymph glands. More severe cases can cause high fever, focal paralysis, disorientation, coma, convulsions and death.

One of the most common mosquitoes, the Culex species, is known to carry the West Nile virus. Birds are the natural hosts for the West Nile virus, transmitting the disease to humans and other animals through the bites of infected mosquitoes. Analyzing and keeping track of wild bird mortality often provides early warning signs of the West Nile virus spreading into new locations. The U.S. Geological Survey continues to study how the virus moves between birds, mosquitoes and humans to predict future movement of the virus. To help scientists combat the spread of the virus, report dead birds (primarily crows) to your local or state West Nile virus hotline or state health departments.

St. Louis Encephalitis

The St. Louis encephalitis virus is found throughout North, Central, and South America, and the Caribbean, but is a major public health problem in the United States. The virus is found throughout the country, but periodic outbreaks and epidemics have occurred in the Mississippi Valley and Gulf Coast, the western states, and Florida. Named for the city where the first cases were recognized in 1933, it is the most common variety of viral encephalitis in the United States. Since 1964 there have been 4,478 reported human cases of St. Louis encephalitis, with an average of nearly 200 cases of the virus reported each year in the United States, making it the most commonly reported mosquito-borne disease in the country. The elderly and the young are most at risk. As many as 30 percent of elderly patients infected with the virus will die.

One of the species of mosquitoes known to carry the St. Louis encephalitis virus is the Culex species. It cannot be transmitted from person-to-person or animal-to-person. Symptoms of the disease begin five to fifteen days after being bit. Most individuals never show any outward symptoms. Mild cases include flu-like symptoms, with fever, headaches and lethargy. Severe cases of the virus can cause seizures, double vision, paralysis and death.

Dengue Fever

Although dengue fever is found mostly in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean, in the summer of 2001 four people on the island of Maui were confirmed to have contracted the disease. These were the first cases of the mosquito-borne disease in Hawaii in more than 50 years.

Dengue fever is found in infected Aedes mosquitoes and cannot be directly transmitted from person to person. About one million people are infected with the virus each year. The Aedes mosquito is usually most active in the early morning after daybreak, in the late afternoon before dark and anytime during the day when indoors or in shady areas. Symptoms of the disease begin four to seven days after being bit and include, fever, painful headaches, eye, joint and muscle pain and a rash on the arms or legs. Dengue fever is rarely fatal. Most treatment includes bed rest, fluids and common over-the-counter pain and fever medications are recommended. However, infected individuals should consult their physician immediately after systems occur. Occasionally, the disease can progress into dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF), a very serious illness with abnormal bleeding and very low blood pressure.

Prior to 1981, dengue and DHF posed little or no threat to the Americas. However, the lapse in mosquito eradication programs and the increase of unplanned urbanization, resulting in large populations living with inadequate systems of water and solid waste management, allowed the Aedes species to find excellent breeding places. In 1981 Cuba experienced the first major DHF epidemic in the Americas. Sporadic cases of the disease appeared for the next ten years until 1990 when Venezuela experienced the second major epidemic in the region. These events clearly marked the emergence of dengue and DHF in the Americas.

From 1977 to 1994, a total of 2,248 suspected cases of imported dengue were reported in the United States. Currently, according the World Health Organization, 2.5 billion people are at risk of dengue infection. The organization also estimates that annually, 20 million cases of dengue infection are reported, resulting in around 24,000 deaths.

Malaria

According to the World Health Organization, malaria infects between 300 and 500 million people every year in Africa, India, southeast Asia, the Middle East, Oceania, and Central and South America. Over one million of the infected die each year. There are about 1,200 malaria cases reported each year in the U.S., mostly by people who were infected abroad.

Malaria is transmitted by Anopheline mosquitoes. These mosquitoes bite during the nighttime hours, from dusk to dawn. It cannot be casually transmitted from person to person but it is possible to spread malaria via contaminated needles or in blood transfusions. Symptoms of malaria include fever, shivering, pain in the joints, repeated vomiting, generalized convulsions and coma. In addition, as many as half a billion people worldwide are left with chronic anemia due to malaria infections. Symptoms of the disease usually begin eight to 12 day after being bit.

If traveling to a tropical country where Malaria is present, antibiotics should be taken at least two weeks prior to leaving to prevent malaria. In some parts of the world malaria has become resistant to the most frequently used antibiotics. Your doctor, in consultation with the CDC travel advisories, can make a recommendation specific to you.

#17 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 04:07 AM

http://www.quantumhe...rticledeet.html

To DEET Or Not To DEET, Compelling Issues Draw Consumer Attention
By David Shaw CEO, Quantum, Inc.

When Dr. Marcus Laux's students - a group of doctors, pharmacists and researchers - arrived in the Amazon Rain Forest to study the roots of modern pharmacy, most had packed their bags with DEET based insect repellents. But by the end of the trip, all members of his expedition had switched to the natural plant oil based repellent provided by our company (Quantum, Inc.) for field testing. According to Dr. Laux, the natural product worked just as well and is friendlier to the environment.

Classified as a pesticide by the EPA, DEET, or diethyl-meta-toluamide, can be found in most over-the-counter insect repellents. Media coverage documenting the health risks associated with it's use have prompted retailers to look for alternative repellent formulas. But not for the first time.

Five years ago, one of the first DEET-free insect repellents was brought in by a number of major drug chains. The product didn't do well and most pulled it. The buyers were forward thinking, but the public simply didn't know enough about DEET to fully take advantage of the choice being offered. Times have changed - largely due to the media's attention to the potential dangers of DEET.

Three major incidents set the presses rolling. In 1995, New York State banned products with 30% or more DEET after reviewing 44 public health studies; The U.S. Military supplies soldiers with 33% or less DEET products; and DEET is suspected of being responsible, in part, for Gulf War Syndrome.

DEET has been proven to enter the bloodstream through application to the skin, and while many people use DEET-based products without incident, others have suffered side-effects ranging from rashes and hives to uncontrollable twitching and muscle spasms to death. Children seem especially susceptible to DEET problems. In 1995 alone, the National Poison Control Center in Washington, DC. received over 6,700 reports of repellent exposure, including one death, and of the 6,700 reports, two thirds occurred in children age six and under.

The biggest media jolt came when ABC's PrimeTime Live did a twenty minute segment on DEET. The public began to pay serious attention, and companies like ours began to see very strong product movement. PrimeTime's report focused on particularly dramatic incidents that highlight the dangers. The program told the stories of Tim Christiansen, who at 26 years old died after using DEET twice one summer day in 1994; on Elijah Harrison, an 8 year old boy who's mother sprayed him with a 25% DEET product once a day for two days - he still suffers from seizures; and on workers in the Everglades National Park who experienced rashes, dizziness and numbness of the lips after using a DEET repellent.

To DEET or not to DEET? As with other products on the market today that have known health risks, the consumer must make the choice. We at Quantum have been marketing a non-DEET repellent, Buzz Away, since 1992 and sales have increased 10 fold since the introduction. Much of the increase is due to willingness of mass market retailers to revisit the category. Buzz Away velocities have equaled or exceeded those of DEET based repellents. It is our belief that increased consumer awareness of DEET's dangers, combined with it's unpleasant odor and feel on the skin (which outdoor lovers have complained about for years), have driven sales.

Even the EPA, which regulates the category, is aware of the problem. In an article that appeared in Natural Health Magazine, EPA toxicologist Michael Watson noted an instance 'where exposure to DEET caused six cases of brain damage in girls aged one through six - and three of them died".

A significant number of books on health care also note the dangers. According to The Doctors Book Of Home Remedies For Children from Bantam Books; 'DEET containing products must be used sparingly on children under ten and should never be used on children under two. Very young children run the risk of absorbing a toxic dose through the skin'.

In response to the problem, manufacturers have come up with a variety of product options. The most accepted active ingredient alternative to DEET is citronella. While the Buzz Away line uses citronella and other natural plant oil extracts exclusively, companies like SC Johnson have chosen to use a low percentage DEET base. It should be noted that as with DEET based repellents, Buzz Away went through the EPA's rigorous testing for safety and efficacy.

Still, DEET based products continue to far outsell the natural alternatives. For one thing, DEET formulas work longer - most for 6 hours but some go up to 10 hours. Our product was EPA tested for 2 1/2 hours and field tested by a University of Oregon team for up to 4 hours. The consumer has to apply it more frequently. DEET based products are the more familiar and most people don't experience negative side effects. Some people attract bugs so much that only a DEET product is effective. Also, the side effects hurt children in much larger numbers than adults.

Media coverage continues to expose the dangers. Already this year, articles on DEET have appeared in Rodale's Backpacker magazine and others will be appearing in New Woman, Saturday Evening Post, Better Nutrition, Ms. Fitness and others.

Quantum , Inc., is a 15 year old Eugene, Oregon based company that makes natural products in several categories including cold & Flu, skin care, lip care, age management, weight loss and oral care. It's natural outdoor protection line includes Buzz Away insect repellent in spray, towelette and sunblock-15 lotion formats.

#18 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 04:17 AM

http://dukenews.duke...dio/MM0621.html

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Duke News Service
Duke University
Box 90563, 615 Chapel Drive, Durham, North Carolina 27708-0563
Phone: (919) 684-2823 ~ Fax: (919) 681-5760

Contact: Cabell Smith Phone: (919) 681-8067 cabell.smith@duke.edu

This week on MedMinute: Use caution when using insect repellents containing DEET.

Suggested Lead: With the warnings about West Nile virus, many of us are using insect repellants to ward off mosquitoes and other warm-weather pests. But new studies show some popular repellents could carry dangers of their own.

Every year, approximately one-third of Americans use insect repellents containing the insecticide DEET. Duke University Medical Center pharmacologist Mohamed Abou-Donia has spent 30 years researching the effects of pesticides. He has found that prolonged exposure to DEET can impair functioning in parts of the brain.

"Damage to these areas could result in problems with muscle coordination, muscle weakness, walking or even memory and cognition."

Abou-Donia says rats given even small doses of DEET for 60 days had a harder time accomplishing even the easiest tasks. Abou-Donia says short-term exposure to DEET does not appear to be harmful, but warns against using any product with more than a 30 percent concentration. Use as little of the product as you can, and don’t use a product containing DEET if you’re taking any medication.

"We found that the combined exposure to DEET and other chemicals is more dangerous than just DEET alone."

Abou-Donia also warns to never put a product containing DEET on an infant’s or child’s skin. The side-effects could be even more serious. I’m Cabell Smith for MedMinute.

Posted Image

© 2002 Duke News Service

#19 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 04:37 AM

More on DEET....

Note: "DEET can be poisonous if overused."

bob

http://www.hsph.harv...quito/what.html

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

*What You Can Do*

Get rid of standing water. Drain or frequently empty buckets, plastic containers, ceramic pots, trash cans, bird baths, horse troughs, unused swimming pools, and other containers that can serve as breeding sites. Unclog rooftop gutters.

Tires are a common place for mosquitoes to breed. Pay attention to discarded tires that may have collected on your property.

Drill holes in the bottom of recycling containers that are left outdoors, so that water can drain.

Turn over plastic wading pools and wheelbarrows when not in use.

Keep swimming pools properly chlorinated and remove standing water from pool covers.

Wear long-sleeved clothing, pants, and other clothing if you are exposed to mosquitoes.

Avoid spending time outdoors at dusk or dawn when mosquitoes are most active.

Use repellents that contain DEET (N-N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) and follow directions on the label. DEET can be poisonous if overused. Formulations with less than 10% DEET are generally recommended for children. Never use DEET on infants. Cream, lotion, or stick formulas are best. Mosquito netting can be used to cover baby carriages.

Repair holes in window screens.

Be aware that spraying lawns is relatively ineffective.

If you can't drain water, then cover containers with fine netting to exclude mosquitoes, or apply mosquito larvacides to standing water.

Consult state or regional mosquito control agencies for additional assistance

©2000 President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved.

#20 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 04:47 AM

http://www.ci.nyc.ny...nv/wnvfaq4.html

Posted Image
New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

*Mosquito Repellent: DEET*

Q: What can I do to reduce my risk of becoming infected with West Nile virus?

A: From April to October, when mosquitoes are most active, take the following precautions:

If outside from dusk to dawn when mosquitoes are most active, or during the day in an area where there are weeds, tall grass, or bushes, people should wear protective clothing, such as long pants, loose-fitting, long-sleeved shirts, and socks, and consider the use of an insect repellent containing DEET.

Products with a low concentration of DEET may be appropriate for situations where exposure to mosquitoes is minimal. Higher concentrations of DEET may be useful in highly infested areas or with species that are more difficult to repel. However, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that repellents used on children should not contain more than 10% DEET. Concentrations of up to 30% DEET have been shown to be acceptable for adults. Where appropriate, consider using non-chemical ways to deter biting insects such as protective clothing (as outlined above), window and door screens, and wearable netting when camping.

Use DEET according to manufacturer's directions on the label.

o Store DEET out of reach of children.
o Use caution when using repellents containing DEET on children.
o Do not apply DEET directly on to children. Apply to your own hands and then put it on the child.
o Do not apply on hands or near eyes and mouth of young children.
o Do not allow children to apply repellents themselves.
o As with chemical exposure in general, pregnant women should take care to avoid exposures to repellents when practical.
o Wash all treated skin and clothing with soap and water after returning indoors.
o Never use repellents over cuts, wounds, or irritated skin.

o Depending on the concentration of DEET in a product, it can be effective for approximately 3-6 hours.
oAvoid prolonged or excessive use of DEET.
o Use sparingly to cover exposed skin and clothing.
o Do not apply to skin covered by clothing.

Note that vitamin B, ultrasonic devices, and incense have not been shown to be effective in preventing mosquito bites.

#21 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 04:57 AM

Does anyone have recommendations for mosquito repellents that do not contain DEET?

I have shown an example below but do not have any personal experience in using this or any other product.

Bob

http://www.yahwehsal...m/greenban.html

Posted Image

Green Ban Insect Repellent repels mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, no-see-'em's, sandflies, chiggers, gnats and leeches. This concentrated blend of natural plant extracts contains citronella, lavender, cajeput, peppermint, myrrh, galbanum and bergaptene-free bergamot oils in an emollient healing base of pure calendula. Australian tea tree and British Pharmaceutical Grade soy oil. Non sticky, good smelling and soothing against inflammation and itchy, broken skin caused by insect bites.

#22 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 01:35 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...he_me/west_nile

W. Nile May Cause Acute Paralysis (excerpts)

Fri Sep 20, 9:55 PM ET

By KRISTEN WYATT, Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA (AP) - Government health officials are warning doctors that the West Nile virus ( news - web sites) can cause acute paralysis after the mosquito-borne virus apparently caused six people to become paralyzed.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ( news - web sites) urged doctors to test patients for West Nile if they report sudden, painless paralysis but do not appear to have had a stroke.

The warning came as health officials confirmed that the West Nile virus can apparently be transmitted through blood transfusions and said that all blood donations will probably be screened for the virus as soon as a test can be developed.

The most serious effect of infection — life-threatening brain inflammation — occurs in only a small percentage of cases, mostly among the sick or elderly. But most of the reported paralyses, in Mississippi and Louisiana, have occurred among middle-aged people who were previously healthy, CDC medical epidemiologist Jim Sejvar said.

Some of these victims lost the use of an arm or leg; others needed ventilators to help them breathe.

Copyright © 2002 The Associated Press

#23 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 02:38 PM

I still think it is a lot of hype. Obviously there is a tiny percentage of people who can fall ill from the disease (WNV), but there are sooooooo many other diseases that are so much more deadly.

Looking at the news of WNV, how it spreads, and it's spread in the U.S., it seems like most of this can be attributed to increased monitoring. It is extremely unlikely that the virus spread from New York to 34 different states in 3 years, given the method of transmission. Now...every time someone dies, they are screened for West Nile. It is going to show up in a small number of patients, and of course is going to be immediately claimed as the cause of death since this is the "most popular media scare story" of the day.

I do not want to sound like the biggest skeptic in the world. It is a virus. It is a disease. It can kill. I just do not feel it is the biggest health problem to worry about.

Personally, I have been bitten by several hundred mosquitoes this year. I go fishing, camping, and berry picking a lot and seldom wear any bug spray. I find that after I have been bitten a dozen times that I kind-of build up an immunity and don't notice the itch or sting. AND...I live in a county where WNV has been found in birds. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I think a better explanation is that a healthy person has nothing to worry about from this virus.

I know the CDC says paralysis has occurred in previously healthy middle-aged people in Louisiana and Mississippi. I will just say that the CDC's definition of healthy is probably a far cry from what we here at the institute would call healthy.

Anyway, thanks for all the informative posts Bob.

#24 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 05:40 PM

Posted Image

While Network News has given WNV coverage, have they discussed the potential risks of using DEET based insect repellents?

Mind,

Regarding bug spray, check out some of the posts further up regarding the dangers of DEET. One of the articles (By David Shaw CEO, Quantum, Inc.) stated:

"DEET has been proven to enter the bloodstream through application to the skin, and while many people use DEET-based products without incident, others have suffered side-effects ranging from rashes and hives to uncontrollable twitching and muscle spasms to death. Children seem especially susceptible to DEET problems. In 1995 alone, the National Poison Control Center in Washington, DC. received over 6,700 reports of repellent exposure, including one death, and of the 6,700 reports, two thirds occurred in children age six and under."

I suspect like any other disease, one of the keys is to have a strong enough immune system to fight it off.

Best regards,

Bob

#25 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 01:50 AM

West Nile Death Toll In US Hits 160 (excerpts)
10-14-2

ATLANTA (UPI) -- The nation's death toll from West Nile virus was at least 160 in 2,946 cases as of Friday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

Illinois led the nation with West Nile deaths at 41, followed by Michigan with 28 and Louisiana with 15.

The mosquito-borne disease is believed to have infected the nation's blood supply and two companies have started testing a chemical they hope will sterilize blood, killing any viruses and bacteria, including West Nile.

The new technology is being tested by Cerus Corp. of Concord, Calif., and V.I. Technologies of Watertown, Mass.

Cerus has won permission in Europe to sterilize platelets, a component of blood, but would still need permission from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration before the process could be put into widespread use in the United States.

Copyright © 2002 United Press International.

#26 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 01:45 AM

Bob...I thought you might like to look at this very detailed website about WNV.

http://www.geocities.com/noxot/TOC.htm

The proposed connection between pollution and the WNV deaths along the east coast (I looked specifically at New York and New Jersey) is uncanny...just plain surreal if a person also follows the AIDS debacle.

Obviously in the case of WNV there is actually a virus, however there are many unanswered questions.

There is absolutely no way that WNV could've have spread across the country in 3 years by the vectors proposed by the CDC (as I noted in a previous post). It has obviously been here a lot longer.

Why all the dead birds? WNV has not been known to be deadly to birds in the past.

I do not have access to the case histories of the individual fatalities attributed to WNV but I know that most of them were frail and elderly, leading me to question if WNV is just an opportunistic virus.

The increase in the cases of WNV in the U.S. could easily be a statistical abberation due to increased monitoring. This is just my conjecture, I do not have proper data to back it up.

Many people act quite incredulous when alternative theories are proposed for disease...they would not be if they knew the history of medicine a little better. There are many diseases that have been attributed to viruses in the past that are known now to be environmental or nutritional problems. A short list: Scurvy, Pellegra, Beri Beri, Cancer, SMON, (AIDS). Viral causes of heart disease have even been proposed (if you can believe that). This theory has never gained traction though because of the overwhelming evidence showing lifestyle as the central contributing factor.

People just "love" to believe in the virus theory of disease, even though the vast majority of deaths are not viral related. The greatest killer diseases of the present day have nothing to do with viruses.

I have contacted the publishers of the data in the above website to get any further insights into 2002 cases of WNV, since it appears they have only analyzed through 2001.

#27 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:13 AM

Posted Image

Is the official story always correct?

People just "love" to believe in the virus theory of disease, even though the vast majority of deaths are not viral related. The greatest killer diseases of the present day have nothing to do with viruses.

Mind,

These days, many people appear to like to take the popular point of view simply because it is popular.

Less than a 1000 years ago, people at times were burned at the stake because they did not parrot the official version of a story.

I believe in questioning everything. That doesn't mean the official version of the story is usually incorrect, but rather there is no assurance that it is valid just because it is repeated in an authoritative manner over and over and over again.

So far, I have yet to see someone challenge your points of view in a detailed, specific, scientific manner. This is not to say that you points are always correct, but is merely made as an observation.

Keep up the great work!

bob

#28 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 03:18 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/2367823.stm

Posted Image

Monday, 28 October, 2002, 11:27 GMT

Killer virus 'may have reached UK' (excerpts)

Posted Image

Mosquitoes can carry West Nile virus

The West Nile virus, which has killed more than 188 people in the US so far this year, may be present in UK birds, say scientists.

However, so far, there have been no cases of the disease caught in this country, say experts.

Oxford University researchers have found antibodies in non-migratory birds in the UK which suggest the presence of the virus.

West Nile virus is normally transmitted by mosquitoes who suck the blood of infected birds then feed on humans.

The risk of human to human transmission is thought to be low.

It is uncertain whether the limited mosquito population even in warmer areas of the UK could support a widespread West Nile outbreak.

Doctors have been warned to report cases in which patients display suspicious symptoms.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#29 bobdrake12

• 1,423 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:32 AM

http://www.cdc.gov/o...dia/wncount.htm

West Nile Virus Update Current Case Count*

As of Novemer 20th, 2002 - the CDC reports the following data for the US:

3698 Laboratory- Positive Human Cases

212 Deaths

sponsored ad

• Advert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users