Photo
- - - - -

Bacopa for the win

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 exigentsky

• 262 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:07 AM

I've also asked LEF and they tell me that it is probably best to take it in the morning on an empty stomach.... ARGHHHH! Are there any studies in which Bacopa is taken at night?

#32 jegrx

• 55 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

If this effects are cumulative (other than the relaxation), why would it matter when you take it, as long as you consistently take it everyday?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

Thats what I'm saying jegrx. Since its so inexpensive, and I'm 200lbs, I take it at both of those intervals (1 AOR bacopa at morning and bedtime). Could be my imagination, but I think it is making me smarter and influencing my thought patterns positively. At $13 a month, I don't care if its placebo as long as it seems to be working :)

#34 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:00 PM

You still feeling those effects Funk?

#35 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:19 PM

Yes I am. I've been studying math recently, and my ability to assimilate and recall new concepts seems to be better than I can remember. At the same time, I am more motivated to master this stuff than I've ever been, so there continue to be confounding variables. I think its helping though.

#36 benson123

• 48 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

does bacopa have a u curve response?

#37 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:05 AM

does bacopa have a u curve response?

Pretty much everything does.

#38 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:48 AM

what's a "u curve"?

#39 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:05 AM

I bought a bottle of USPlabs REM-R3G - it is a sleeping / recovery supplement, and two of the 3 ingredients are bacopa and ashwaganda, the third being a proprietary ingredient.

It has alot of bacopa because after taking it and I burp, it has the exact same taste as after dosing a few tablespoons of the bulk powder. pretty good stuff at nighttime.

#40 mrak1979

• 232 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:42 AM

Do you guys know of any scientific references discussing a possible mechanism to bacopa's anxiolytic properties?

#41 boilerroom

• 88 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:03 PM

Another interesting trial:

http://scholar.googl...ic delayed word

I must say when I look at the actual table of results in the study, I find their conclusions regarding delayed word pairs a tad mystifying. There is certainly less of a reduction in performance from the last learning test to the delayed test with the Brahmi group. But that is true of the pre-trial results as well as the results at the end of the trial (3 months). However, I'm no stats boffin, and those with more expertise might like to comment. Also of interest is that in post-trial testing of the word pairs, the Brahmi group's performance dropped significantly compared to the placebo group, which could be indicative of its efficacy but also that benefits disappear if you stop taking it. In fact, this could even produce a negative effect. If I'm reading the results correctly, the Brahmi group were performing considerably better than the placebo group in the word pairs test at the end of the trial but worse than the placebo group in the follow up.

I agree completely about their conclusions. I recently started taking Bacopa, but, so far, no studies have really convinced me that it is effective. The "12 week and 5 week" study we commonly cite only used about 20 people. I do not take alot of supplements, so I think I would be able to tell if its producing an effect. I plan on taking it for about 4 months, and if I don't at least feel a small change I'll stop taking it, possibly switching to ashwagandha for its neurogenesis effects. I've done alot of searching and have yet to find one telling study.

As a side note: anyone notice thyroid problems when you take rhodiola, bacopa, and ashwagandha all-together for extended periods???

#42 impulsive

• 61 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:07 PM

bump anyone still using it?

worth it or not?

#43 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:52 PM

I still use it. It's cheap and they have been using it for centuries with good results.

#44 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

I continue to use it with excellent result/effect

#45 impulsive

• 61 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:01 PM

thinking about purchasing it from relentless, good price?

https://secure7.next...ss&RowID=9&All=

#46 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:19 PM

excellent price, excellent product, excellent retailer.

#47 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:40 AM

I hope so i just ordered a good amount of it. It lowers glutamate while heightening GABA and ACh. Where could you go wrong? Mayber overactive thyroid but I havent heard any complaints :)

#48 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:15 AM

What was the general concensus on the best time to take it? In the evenning immediately before sleep on an empty stomach? I have some from LEF, but when I took it in the morning it made me lethargic.

#49 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:47 PM

bump anyone still using it?

worth it or not?

I've been on it for 15 weeks. Not with very impressive results: subtly improved learning and memory maybe, but nothing very noticeable.

#50 narcissistic

• 110 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:11 PM

most likely its safe and that’s on good thing with it.

#51 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:53 PM

You aren't going to get a huge and dramatic difference overnight. It helps a little much like a number of other things such as fish oil, vinpocitine and so on. It's not expensive and I think it's worth it. If you are looking for a quick fix you are unlikely to find it and will probably end up using stimulants which are a dead end, IMO. Piracetam could make a dramatic difference but those under 30 sometimes feel no effects from that at all. Go with things that are safe and which do some good. Every little bit helps.

#52 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:42 PM

Ive been on it for 4 days now and it really gets rid of my anxiety effectively. At first it gave me insomnia but now its kind of evened out. Time will tell

#53 Anja from Sweden

• 30 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:21 AM

If I would take bacopa and add some modafinil?

I had too much anxiety with modafinil.Perhaps bacopa gets rid of my anxiety,then modafinil would be perfekt ;)

#54 kottke

• 246 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:14 AM

If I would take bacopa and add some modafinil?

I had too much anxiety with modafinil.Perhaps bacopa gets rid of my anxiety,then modafinil would be perfekt ;)

There have been no studies with the combination of both bacopa and modafinil and their potential interactions. I would see bacopa being safe to add on as alot of people will take up to 3 or more prescriptions to "normalize" themselves but just be careful.

Id take about 100-200mgs bacopa with each dosage of modafinil. Maybe less when starting off.

Edited by kottke, 08 December 2006 - 05:50 AM.

#55 orneoticfac

• 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:34 PM

Bump

Anyone w/more input on the bacopa/modafinil combo?

I went on a six-month stint w/modafinil but cut it out about 5 months back after it started affecting my sleep & anxiety levels. After quitting I began to suspect it did a serious number on my GABA levels and began taking Ashwagandha, Theanine, Magnesium and very occasional phenibut supps. Which was successful... I'm in good shape now.

I have quite a bit of modafinil and was looking to get back on it but I wanted to find something to combat any possible drop in GABA levels. Which is what I think caused my problems before...

#56 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:38 AM

>After quitting I began to suspect it did a serious number on my GABA levels

The fact is, pretty much everything causes some re-regulation.

It's just not a big deal most of the time. You re-regulate back to normal. It's a big deal if the regulatory changes that took place are so severe that you suffer other problems, like in benzodiazepine withdrawal where basically you are spiraling into worse and worse territory (the withdrawal itself, stuff like shitting yourself, causes severe stress).

#57 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:14 AM

i tried 3 months of paridise herbs bacopa, 1 capsule a day. i didnt notice any significant differences in any brain function. i think i will try AOR's bacopa next i order from RI.

#58 stargazer

• 76 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:23 AM

Hum Psychopharmacol. 2004 Mar;19(2):91-6.

Effects of a combined extract of Ginkgo biloba and Bacopa monniera on cognitive function in healthy humans.
Nathan PJ, Tanner S, Lloyd J, Harrison B, Curran L, Oliver C, Stough C.

Neuropsychopharmacology Laboratory, Brain Sciences Institute, Swinburne University, Victoria, Australia. pnathan@bsi.swin.edu.au

Extracts of Ginkgo biloba and Bacopa monniera have been shown to produce positive effects on cognitive function in healthy subjects. While the exact mechanisms are not known, it has been suggested that antioxidant properties and cholinergic modulation may play a role. In the current study the sub-chronic (2 weeks) and chronic (4 weeks) effects of an extract containing Ginkgo biloba (120 mg) and Bacopa monniera (300 mg) (Blackmores Ginkgo Brahmi) on cognitive function were examined. The study was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, independent group design in which 85 healthy subjects were allocated to one of two treatment conditions (placebo or combined Ginkgo biloba and Bacopa monniera extract). Testing was conducted at baseline and 2 and 4 weeks post treatment. The results showed that the combined extract relative to placebo did not demonstrate any significant effects on tests investigating a range of cognitive processes including attention, short-term and working memory, verbal learning, memory consolidation, executive processes, planning and problem solving, information processing speed, motor responsiveness and decision making. These findings suggest that at least within the current treatment duration and doses, an extract containing Ginkgo biloba and Bacopa monniera had no cognitive enhancing effects in healthy subjects. Copyright 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

PMID: 14994318 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Need I say more?

#59 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:25 PM

Well, the first study required more than 4 weeks too.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 rickforce

• 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:05 AM

Good price? Try massively over priced.

RI $18.99 aor brand

Another site sells it for $9.99 for 1 bottle aor brand.

Exactly the same!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users