- - - - -

laser hair removal and skin?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

I know someone going through laser hair removal and we noticed that every time after treatment, when the swelling and redness goes down, the skin looks much better than it was just before the laser session.
Is it possible or we are just imagining this? I know there are lasers treatments for skin too, but I'd think it is a different technique or wave length. Originally I thought "Won't it damage the skin?"

But better, I mean it looks and feels smoother and even the texture seems a bit better.. What do you think? Anyone here going through laser hair removal who could put feedback?

#2 Ali

• 35 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

I know someone going through laser hair removal and we noticed that every time after treatment, when the swelling and redness goes down, the skin looks much better than it was just before the laser session.
Is it possible or we are just imagining this? I know there are lasers treatments for skin too, but I'd think it is a different technique or wave length. Originally I thought "Won't it damage the skin?"

But better, I mean it looks and feels smoother and even the texture seems a bit better.. What do you think? Anyone here going through laser hair removal who could put feedback?

I brought a home IPL laser machine for hair removal on my face, I had a very nice suprise when it zapped away the few age spots i had on my face:) obviously cos they were black and they absorbed the laser light.

I wonder what wave length the laser would have to be to stimulate collagen production? is it the same as the one for hair removal?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

I'd imagine it would make those spots worse because if they are dark they say it could burn?

#4 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

I brought a home IPL laser machine for hair removal on my face, I had a very nice suprise when it zapped away the few age spots i had on my face:) obviously cos they were black and they absorbed the laser light.

I wonder what wave length the laser would have to be to stimulate collagen production? is it the same as the one for hair removal?

Sounds like the laser broke up some lipofuscin, and essentially made the skin younger.

I hear Red/Near IR LEDs work to stimulate collagen. It may not have to be a laser, but you'll have to search around for the exact wavelength.

#5 Ali

• 35 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

I'd imagine it would make those spots worse because if they are dark they say it could burn?

Im assuming it works the same way a strong peel works in the sence that it burns the damaged layer of skin. The brilliant thing about the laser is that it leaves normal skin and the laser light is only absorbed by the age spots cos there darker!!!

What i found was thats they would scab then after a day or two the scab would fall off and normal coloured skin would remain!

ive had a look at a few beauty salaon web sites and they actually advertise this a cosmetic procedure..........

heres what they say...

"The IPL’s light, once within the dermis, uses different wavelengths of IPL light that are absorbed by elements (target) within the skin. One of the IPL’s wavelengths will be absorbed by age-spot pigment, another wavelength by the broken capillaries (actually IPL hits the pigment within the red blood cells within the capillary) and yet another wavelength, of the IPL, will be absorbed by the fibroblasts. Fibroblasts are responsible for making new Collagen within the skin. The above mentioned changes within the skin created by IPL Treatments effectively rejuvenate skin all over the body…for brighter, more beautiful skin"

#6 Inaara

• 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

"The IPL’s light, once within the dermis, uses different wavelengths of IPL light that are absorbed by elements (target) within the skin. One of the IPL’s wavelengths will be absorbed by age-spot pigment, another wavelength by the broken capillaries (actually IPL hits the pigment within the red blood cells within the capillary) and yet another wavelength, of the IPL, will be absorbed by the fibroblasts. Fibroblasts are responsible for making new Collagen within the skin. The above mentioned changes within the skin created by IPL Treatments effectively rejuvenate skin all over the body…for brighter, more beautiful skin".

Here is what I've read from dr. Nicholas Lowe, a top British dermatologist about IPL:
"Though it's virtually a standard monthly facial in LA, studies have shown that IPL can increase the damage of free radicals in the skin - and long-term, could be more detrimental than the sun.IPL is excellent for brightening the skin, plus it increases collagen production, but I don't think it's a good idea to keep using it."

I was looking for more info about this, but couldn't find anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users