Photo
- - - - -

Apple Cider Vinegar

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 efosse

• 135 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:09 AM

Hi, below are two articles on apple cider vinegar. I am now adding this VERY cheap and potentially quite effective supplement to my regimen. It seems to curb appetite, lower glycemic load, and may have anti-tumor and anti-inflammatory effects. Awesome!

********************************************************************************
Vinegar Improves Insulin Sensitivity to a High-Carbohydrate Meal in Subjects With Insulin Resistance or Type 2 Diabetes
Carol S. Johnston, PHD, Cindy M. Kim, MS and Amanda J. Buller, MS

From the Department of Nutrition, Arizona State University, Mesa, Arizona

Address correspondence to Carol S. Johnston, Department of Nutrition, Arizona State University, East Campus, 7001 E. Williams Field Rd, Mesa, AZ 85212. E-mail: carol.johnston@asu.edu

The number of Americans with type 2 diabetes is expected to increase by 50% in the next 25 years; hence, the prevention of type 2 diabetes is an important objective. Recent large-scale trials (the Diabetes Prevention Program and STOP-NIDDM) have demonstrated that therapeutic agents used to improve insulin sensitivity in diabetes, metformin and acarbose, may also delay or prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes in high-risk populations. Interestingly, an early report showed that vinegar attenuated the glucose and insulin responses to a sucrose or starch load (1). In the present report, we assessed the effectiveness of vinegar in reducing postprandial glycemia and insulinemia in subjects with varying degrees of insulin sensitivity. These data indicate that vinegar can significantly improve postprandial insulin sensitivity in insulin-resistant subjects. Acetic acid has been shown to suppress disaccharidase activity (3) and to raise glucose-6-phosphate concentrations in skeletal muscle (4); thus, vinegar may possess physiological effects similar to acarbose or metformin. Further investigations to examine the efficacy of vinegar as an antidiabetic therapy are warranted.

********************************************************************************
Vinegar: Medicinal Uses and Antiglycemic Effect
Carol S. Johnston, PhD, RD and Cindy A. Gaas, BS
Carol S. Johnston, Department of Nutrition, Arizona State University, Mesa, Arizona.
All author affiliations.
Disclosure: Carol S. Johnston, PhD, RD, has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Disclosure: Cindy A. Gaas, BS, has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

[...]

Cardiovascular Effects
Kondo and colleagues[30] reported a significant reduction in systolic blood pressure (approximately 20 mm Hg) in spontaneously hypertensive (SHR) rats fed a standard laboratory diet mixed with either vinegar or an acetic acid solution (approximately 0.86 mmol acetic acid/day for 6 weeks) as compared with SHR rats fed the same diet mixed with deionized water. These observed reductions in systolic blood pressure were associated with reductions in both plasma renin activity and plasma aldosterone concentrations (35% to 40% and 15% to 25% reductions in renin activity and aldosterone concentrations, respectively, in the experimental vs control SHR rats). Others have reported that vinegar administration (approximately 0.57 mmol acetic acid, orally) inhibited the renin-angiotensin system in nonhypertensive Sprague-Dawley rats.[31]

[...]

Antitumor Activity
In vitro, sugar cane vinegar (Kibizu) induced apoptosis in human leukemia cells,[36] and a traditional Japanese rice vinegar (Kurosu) inhibited the proliferation of human cancer cells in a dose-dependent manner.[37] An ethyl acetate extract of Kurosu added to drinking water (0.05% to 0.1% w/v) significantly inhibited the incidence (−60%) and multiplicity (−50%) of azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis in male F344 rats when compared with the same markers in control animals.[38] In a separate trial, mice fed a rice-shochu vinegar-fortified feed (0.3% to 1.5% w/w) or control diet were inoculated with sarcoma 180 (group 1) or colon 38 (group 2) tumor cells (2 × 106 cells subcutaneously).[39] At 40 days post-inoculation, vinegar-fed mice in both experimental groups had significantly smaller tumor volumes when compared with their control counterparts. A prolonged life span due to tumor regression was also noted in the mice ingesting rice-shochu vinegar as compared with controls, and in vitro, the rice-shochu vinegar stimulated natural killer cell cytotoxic activity.[39]

The antitumor factors in vinegar have not been identified. In the human colonic adenocarcinoma cell line Caco-2, acetate treatment, as well as treatment with the other short-chain fatty acids (SCFA) n-butyrate and propionate, significantly prolonged cell doubling time, promoted cell differentiation, and inhibited cell motility.[40] Because bacterial fermentation of dietary fiber in the colon yields the SCFA, the investigators concluded that the antineoplastic effects of dietary fiber may relate in part to the formation of SCFA. Others have also documented the antineoplastic effects of the SCFA in the colon, particularly n-butyrate.[41] Thus, because acetic acid in vinegar deprotonates in the stomach to form acetate ions, it may possess antitumor effects.

Vinegars are also a dietary source of polyphenols,[6] compounds synthesized by plants to defend against oxidative stress. Ingestion of polyphenols in humans enhances in vivo antioxidant protection and reduces cancer risk.[42] Kurosu vinegar is particularly rich in phenolic compounds, and the in-vitro antioxidant activity of an ethyl acetate extract of Kurosu vinegar was similar to the antioxidant activity of alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E) and significantly greater than the antioxidant activities of other vinegar extracts, including wine and apple vinegars.[43] Kurosu vinegar extracts also suppressed lipid peroxidation in mice treated topically with H2O2-generating chemicals.[43] Currently, much interest surrounds the role of dietary polyphenols, particularly from fruits, vegetables, wine, coffee, and chocolate, in the prevention of cancers as well as other conditions including cardiovascular disease[44]; perhaps vinegar can be added to this list of foods and its consumption evaluated for disease risk.

Epidemiologic data, however, is scarce and unequivocal. A case-control study conducted in Linzhou, China, demonstrated that vinegar ingestion was associated with a decreased risk for esophageal cancer (OR: 0.37).[45] However, vinegar ingestion was associated with a 4.4-fold greater risk for bladder cancer in a case-control investigation in Serbia.[46]

Blood Glucose Control

[...]

In healthy subjects, Ostman and colleagues[58] demonstrated that acetic acid had a dose-response effect on postprandial glycemia and insulinemia. Subjects consumed white bread (50 g carbohydrate) alone or with 3 portions of vinegar containing 1.1, 1.4, or 1.7 g acetic acid. At 30 minutes post-meal, blood glucose concentrations were significantly reduced by all concentrations of acetic acid as compared with the control value, and a negative linear relationship was calculated between blood glucose concentrations and the acetic acid content of the meal (r = −0.47, P = .001). Subjects were also asked to rate feelings of hunger/satiety on a scale ranging from extreme hunger (−10) to extreme satiety (+10) before meal consumption and at 15-minute intervals after the meal. Bread consumption alone scored the lowest rating of satiety (calculated as area under the curve from time 0-120 minutes). Feelings of satiety increased when vinegar was ingested with the bread, and a linear relationship was observed between satiety and the acetic acid content of the test meals (r = 0.41, P = .004).[58]

In a separate trial, healthy adult women consumed fewer total calories on days that vinegar was ingested at the morning meal.[50] In this trial, which used a blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover design, fasting participants consumed a test drink (placebo or vinegar) followed by the test meal composed of a buttered bagel and orange juice (87 g carbohydrate). Blood samples were collected for 1 hour after the meal. At the end of testing, participants were allowed to follow their normal activities and eating patterns the remainder of the day, but they were instructed to record food and beverage consumption until bedtime. Vinegar ingestion, as compared with placebo, reduced the 60-minute glucose response to the test meal (−54%, P < .05) and weakly affected later energy consumption (−200 kilocalories, P = .111). Regression analyses indicated that 60-minute glucose responses to test meals explained 11% to 16% of the variance in later energy consumption (P < .05).[50] Thus, vinegar may affect satiety by reducing the meal-time glycemic load. Of 20 studies published between 1977 and 1999, 16 demonstrated that low-glycemic index foods promoted postmeal satiety and/or reduced subsequent hunger.[59]

It is not known how vinegar alters meal-induced glycemia, but several mechanisms have been proposed. Ogawa and colleagues examined the effects of acetic acid and other organic acids on disaccharidase activity in Caco-2 cells.[60] Acetic acid (5 mmol/L) suppressed sucrase, lactase, and maltase activities in concentration- and time-dependent manners as compared with control values, but the other organic acids (eg, citric, succinic, L-maric, and L-lactic acids) did not suppress enzyme activities. Because acetic acid treatment did not affect the de-novo synthesis of the sucrase-isomaltase complex at either the transcriptional or translational levels, the investigators concluded that the suppressive effect of acetic acid likely occurs during the posttranslational processing of the enzyme complex.[60] Of note, the lay literature has long proclaimed that vinegar interferes with starch digestion and should be avoided at meal times.[61]

Several investigations examined whether delayed gastric emptying contributed to the antiglycemic effect of vinegar. Using noninvasive ultrasonography, Brighenti and colleagues[50] did not observe a difference in gastric emptying rates in healthy subjects consuming bread (50 g carbohydrate) in association with acetic acid (ie, vinegar) vs sodium acetate (ie, vinegar neutralized by the addition of sodium bicarbonate); however, a significant difference in post-meal glycemia was noted between treatments with the acetic acid treatment lowering glycemia by 31.4%. In a later study, Liljeberg and Bjorck[62] added paracetamol to the bread test meal to permit indirect measurement of the gastric emptying rate. Compared with reference values, postmeal serum glucose and paracetamol concentrations were reduced significantly when the test meal was consumed with vinegar. The results of this study should be carefully considered, however, because paracetamol levels in blood may be affected by food factors and other gastrointestinal events. In rats fed experimental diets containing the indigestible marker polyethylenglycol and varying concentrations of acetic acid (0, 4, 8, 16 g acetic acid/100 g diet), dietary acetic acid did not alter gastric emptying, the rate of food intake, or glucose absorption.[63]

[...]

Edited by efosse, 29 July 2007 - 04:49 AM.

• like x 1

#2 efosse

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:51 PM

Bump.

Okay -- so notice that the authors of the first study claim vinegar has properties like that of METFORMIN!

So why aren't more people taking apple cider vinegar?

I notice that just a few tablespoons before a meal makes me feel fuller faster, so I almost always eat less than I would otherwise...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

interesting post Efosse [glasses]

I'm actually going to try the few tablespoons before I eat dinner.

#4 synaesthetic

• 230 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:13 PM

I know over at M&M they take apple cider vinegar pills, cheap beneficial supp.

#5 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

PUBMED-1785201

Here is the article from pubmed.

#6 efosse

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:26 AM

chemflip,

2 reasons NOT to take vinegar pills:
1. pills may get logged in the throat (even temporarily) can cause damage/irritation
2. liquid is very, very cheap and mixes well with water :)

#7 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:34 AM

I used to take apple cider vinegar and I stopped because I didn't know of any solid research behind it. Good reason to start up again.

#8 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:53 AM

I wonder if Balsamic or Red Wine Vinegar would impart more benefits than Apple Cider Vinegar.

#9 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:55 AM

I wonder if Balsamic or Red Wine Vinegar would impart more benefits than Apple Cider Vinegar.

Read my Balsamic vinegar and lead post in the food and exercise forum :(

#10 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:52 AM

For the glycemic purposes, the acetic acid is what is having the effect. So, it shouldn't matter. To go further than that, plenty of hippie books/sites go on and on about the mother present in ACV. And I know I skimmed through one book that claimed resveratrol was present in red wine vinegar.

#11 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE (shadowrun)

Here is a Swedish study, using ascetic acid, showing the benefits which include increased satiety from ascetic acid. This article is very helpful because it talks about dose response. First, from the few studies I have seen, the vinegar glycemic response is found and measured while eating carbohydrates. So, taking vinegar without eating a carbohydrate meal might have no result. I think 28 mmol is about 4 teaspoons. I have never converted mmol before so I might be wrong.

Ostman E, Granfeldt Y, Persson L, Björck I.

Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Department of Food Technology, Engineering and Nutrition, Lund University, Lund, Sweden. Elin.Ostman@inl.ith.se

OBJECTIVE: To investigate the potential of acetic acid supplementation as a means of lowering the glycaemic index (GI) of a bread meal, and to evaluate the possible dose-response effect on postprandial glycaemia, insulinaemia and satiety. SUBJECTS AND SETTING: In all, 12 healthy volunteers participated and the tests were performed at Applied Nutrition and Food Chemistry, Lund University, Sweden. INTERVENTION: Three levels of vinegar (18, 23 and 28 mmol acetic acid) were served with a portion of white wheat bread containing 50 g available carbohydrates as breakfast in randomized order after an overnight fast. Bread served without vinegar was used as a reference meal. Blood samples were taken during 120 min for analysis of glucose and insulin. Satiety was measured with a subjective rating scale. RESULTS: A significant dose-response relation was seen at 30 min for blood glucose and serum insulin responses; the higher the acetic acid level, the lower the metabolic responses. Furthermore, the rating of satiety was directly related to the acetic acid level. Compared with the reference meal, the highest level of vinegar significantly lowered the blood glucose response at 30 and 45 min, the insulin response at 15 and 30 min as well as increased the satiety score at 30, 90 and 120 min postprandially. The low and intermediate levels of vinegar also lowered the 30 min glucose and the 15 min insulin responses significantly compared with the reference meal. When GI and II (insulinaemic indices) were calculated using the 90 min incremental area, a significant lowering was found for the highest amount of acetic acid, although the corresponding values calculated at 120 min did not differ from the reference meal. CONCLUSION: Supplementation of a meal based on white wheat bread with vinegar reduced postprandial responses of blood glucose and insulin, and increased the subjective rating of satiety. There was an inverse dose-response relation between the level of acetic acid and glucose and insulin responses and a linear dose-response relation between acetic acid and satiety rating. The results indicate an interesting potential of fermented and pickled products containing acetic acid.

PMID: 16015276 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

#12 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:54 AM

so without the carb meal the apple cider vinegar is not something to consider supplementing with.

#13 asnufu

• 67 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

Also, to get the full spectrum of metformin benefits, AC vinegar would have to demonstrate CR mimetic potential same as people have been seeing with *formins

http://www.ncbi.nlm...._RVAbstractPlus

in my country at least, AC vinegar has been a staple of mail order catalogues, offering quick and lasting weight losses to the overweight at ridiculous markups. I've always thought of it as scamming, but this does seem to put some science behind the marketing - interesting.

#14 efosse

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

i always feel more full having ACV before meals -- even if the meals just consist of meat and vegetables. but i always take more if know that i'm going to a social situation when i'm expected to eat a lot of simple, empty carbs :)

one other thing -- i remember reaing that alcohol ALSO reduces the glycemic load of foods. So i also have a small glass of red wine whenever i can with big carb-heavy meals.

#15 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:26 PM

So it seems like if all a person needs is the acetic acid... White vinegar would be an even cheaper alternative

#16 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

One projected reason for lowered glucose is not very impressive. Maybe vinegar neutralizes saliva stopping the breakdown of sugars.

#17 efosse

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:44 PM

hey david ellis,

do you have any journal articles, etc showing problems with apple cider vinegar? i appreciate your counter-argument BUT the "dr" you cite in your link also claims coffee an tea have "toxic" substances that somehow f**k up digestion. hell, if tea has toxic substances then i'm basically screwed, i think lol

cheers,
efosse

#18 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:13 AM

One projected reason for lowered glucose is not very impressive.  Maybe vinegar neutralizes saliva stopping the breakdown of sugars.

Unlikely. Saliva's action is in the mouth,a nd once vinegar is swallowed and washed down with other food, one continues to produce saliva.

#19 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE (efosse)

hey david ellis,

do you have any journal articles, etc showing problems with apple cider vinegar? i appreciate your counter-argument BUT the "dr" you cite in your link also claims coffee an tea have "toxic" substances that somehow f**k up digestion. hell, if tea has toxic substances then i'm basically screwed, i think lol

"My dr" was actually found in the article you posted by Carol S. Johnston, PhD, RD and Cindy A. Gaas, BS. The article quotes him as a source for "lay literature" that believes vinegar disrupts the digestive process. I agree with their assessment -- his views are not scientific. As far as problems with apple cider vinegar, your article has three listed.

Let's lay out a comparison of metformin vs vinegar.
Reducing glucose and insulin - yes both do
Losing weight - both do, vinegar by increasing satiety, metformin by disrupting digestion
CR emetic- only metformin is proven
Ability to increase insulin sensitivity, proven in metformin, not proven for vinegar
Cost- metformin , 1000 mg/day costs 10cents. Vinegar costs less.
Safety- both are safe, metformin has the highest level of research verifying its claims.

#20 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

CR emetic

This is now my all-time favorite typo!
  • like x 1

#21 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

CR emetic

This is now my all-time favorite typo!

Fairly accurate, too.

#22 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

I know over at M&M they take apple cider vinegar pills, cheap beneficial supp.

What's M&M?

I just took a tablespoon of vinegar. I can see (or rather, taste) why it would curb appetite.

#23 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:39 AM

It tastes a lot better on a salad with a little olive oil. Kills bacteria too.

#24 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

Can anyone recommend any other methods to help out with the taste? I just drank 1Tbsp in 8oz water, and it still tastes like drinking vinegar -_- I'd rather not have to eat a salad before every meal.

I'll probably end up ordering the capsule form, but would like to work with this until my next supplement order, if I can manage it....

#25 dilenja

• 89 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

I usually mix with a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup - There's also a nice little concoction that involves a tablespoon Maple syrup, tablespoon of ACV, half teaspoon of cayenne, and a cup of hot water that is pretty intense for those who are willing.

#26 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:47 AM

Put it in a shot glass, and bottoms up! Bit gross at first but you get used to it (at least I did).

#27 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

Mixing in a little honey (maybe 2 tsp?) made it a lot less biting. Adding an ice cube definitely helped as well. I want to be able to drink it with a straw to minimize tooth contact, so I probably won't be slamming a shot of it. Though dilenja's recipe sounds like a good hangover cure ;)

Concerning the study from post #11, the molar calculation is a little off.

Vinegar supplementation lowers glucose and insulin responses and increases satiety after a bread meal in healthy subjects.
Ostman E, Granfeldt Y, Persson L, Björck I.

...Three levels of vinegar (18, 23 and 28 mmol acetic acid) were served with a portion of white wheat bread containing 50 g available carbohydrates as breakfast in randomized order after an overnight fast...

1mol acetic acid is 60g. Assuming vinegar contains 5% w/v acetic acid (ACV is 4-6%), 1Tbsp (3 tsp, 15mL) contains 0.75g AA. So the AA dosages (and equivalent volume of 5% ACV) used in the study are as follows:

18mmol = 1.08g = 21.6mL = 4.3tsp
23mmol = 1.38g = 27.6mL = 5.5tsp

The low and intermediate levels of vinegar also lowered the 30 min glucose and the 15 min insulin responses significantly compared with the reference meal.

28mmol = 1.68g = 33.6mL = 6.7tsp

...the highest level of vinegar significantly lowered the blood glucose response at 30 and 45 min, the insulin response at 15 and 30 min as well as increased the satiety score at 30, 90 and 120 min postprandially....

Guess I'll see how 2Tbsp tastes, for use before high GI meals and stronger satiety effect.

I've also been looking at capsule options. The only concentrate I've been able to find with a standardzied amount of AA is Source Naturals Cider Veingar (iHerb). At 35%, each 500mg tablet contains 175mg AA. To reach the quantities used in the above studies would require about 6, 8 and 10 pills. At $4/gallon, my local store-brand ACV is 13.5x cheaper per unit of AA. But Source Naturals usually isn't the best deal; does anyone else know of any standardized concentrates?

Edited by chrono, 16 July 2010 - 10:38 AM.

#28 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

whenever i drink even moderate amounts of ACV (1 tablespoon), i get an ugly type of pimples on the right side of my chin; i noticed this too many times, so i'm sure by now the link is causal. I guess my liver doesn't like it.

#29 zm3thod

• 143 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:37 PM

Does anyone else have tips on masking the taste? I mixed one shot of ACV with 2 of water and it burned and tasted horrible, so I topped off the glass with about 7 oz more water and I could not finish it.

Also, is there anyone who should avoid taking ACV before meals?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Deckah

• 153 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:12 AM

Not sure if any conflicts of combining it with other items, but I done 1tbsp ACV w/ a half a cup of carrot juice and it tasted alright. I also have added 2tbsps of ACV once, along with apple sauce and I couldn't taste the vinegar at all. All this was done using a straw as well. First few times of using it without a straw and I couldn't get the vinegar taste out of my mouth. :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users