• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

NAC Poll PART 2

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: NAC Dosage (133 member(s) have cast votes)

My TOTAL DAILY DOSAGE of NAC is:

1. 1 mg - 100 mg (7 votes [5.11%])

Percentage of vote: 5.11%

2. 100 mg - 200 mg (6 votes [4.38%])

Percentage of vote: 4.38%

3. 200 mg - 300 mg (2 votes [1.46%])

Percentage of vote: 1.46%

4. 300 mg - 500 mg (5 votes [3.65%])

Percentage of vote: 3.65%

5. 500 mg -600 mg (32 votes [23.36%])

Percentage of vote: 23.36%

6. 600 mg - 800 mg (17 votes [12.41%])

Percentage of vote: 12.41%

7. 800 mg - 1,000 mg (8 votes [5.84%])

Percentage of vote: 5.84%

8. 1,000 mg - 2,000 mg (28 votes [20.44%])

Percentage of vote: 20.44%

9. Greater than 2,000 mg (11 votes [8.03%])

Percentage of vote: 8.03%

10. Voted I don't take NAC I just like voting in polls :) (21 votes [15.33%])

Percentage of vote: 15.33%

Recent Adjustments in dosage

1. I have recently increased my dosage of NAC (23 votes [16.79%])

Percentage of vote: 16.79%

2. I have recently decreased my dosage of NAC (19 votes [13.87%])

Percentage of vote: 13.87%

3. Voted My dosage of NAC has not changed recently (95 votes [69.34%])

Percentage of vote: 69.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 NeverSayDie

• 135 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:17 PM

I was talking to my sister who is a nurse the other day and I got on the topic of NAC and its linkage to pulmonary aterial hypertension through that one study. I knew that PAH was bad but I didn't quite know it was as bad as she described it.

I wonder how strong the link is between NAC supplementation in humans in the development of PAH because from what she was describing to me, it is basically a slow and painful death sentence. She, herself, has taken care of numerous patients with PAH and she said that all of them died (which is the prognosis for everyone that develops the condition). Apparently, PH represents permanent/irreversible damage.

I don't know...until further studies come out, I don't think that this is a supp I can mess with.

Edited by NeverSayDie, 18 December 2009 - 04:22 PM.

#32 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:41 AM

Wow, talk about a double edged sword. I may have to stop the NAC now.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

I'm still taking NAC at 1200mg/day. There was an article on it in this month's LEF magazine (should show up here soon) in which they devoted a page discussing the results of the mouse study showing pulmonary arterial hypertension issues. The human equivalent dose would be 20g from the mouse study.

In PMID 19666395:

OBJECTIVE: We conducted a single-centre, randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled phase II clinical study to test safety and efficacy of a 12-week therapy with low-dose (700 mg/daily) or high-dose (2800 mg/daily) of NAC. METHODS: Twenty-one patients (DeltaF508 homo/heterozygous, FEV1>40% pred.) were included in the study. After a 3-weeks placebo run-in phase, 11 patients received low-dose NAC, and 10 patients received high-dose NAC. Outcomes included safety and clinical parameters, inflammatory (total leukocyte numbers, cell differentials, TNF-alpha, IL-8) measures in induced sputum, and concentrations of extracellular glutathione in induced sputum and blood. RESULTS: High-dose NAC was a well-tolerated and safe medication. High-dose NAC did not alter clinical or inflammatory parameters. However, extracellular glutathione in induced sputum tended to increase on high-dose NAC. CONCLUSIONS: High-dose NAC is a well-tolerated and safe medication for a prolonged therapy of patients with CF with a potential to increase extracellular glutathione in CF airways.

Edited by stephen_b, 13 April 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#34 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

I'm trying to decide how to incorporate NAC...whether to use it every day, perhaps in lower dosages, or more occasionally.

More than the megadose mouse study, this paper and comment posted by krillin concern me, as it deals with humans taking the same doses we're talking about:

600 mg/day increases hypoxic ventilatory response in humans, which is step one on the road to PAH.

http://bloodjournal..../full/99/5/1552

I have little knowledge of the systems involved, here. Can anyone clue me in about how un/desirable it is to increase HVR in healthy younger subjects? If done chronically, could it indeed put one more at risk for PAH?

Edited by chrono, 17 April 2010 - 09:11 PM.

#35 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

As one of the six in this poll that indicated that they are taking more than 2000mg I can say I do not have PAH, and that my endurance seems only enhanced during long runs. But I mainly take it because it has been, for me, the most effective method of controlling hair loss (coupled with high dose TRes). Taking between 2400 and 4800mg a day

I'm trying to decide how to incorporate NAC...whether to use it every day, perhaps in lower dosages, or more occasionally.

More than the megadose mouse study, this paper and comment posted by krillin concern me, as it deals with humans taking the same doses we're talking about:

600 mg/day increases hypoxic ventilatory response in humans, which is step one on the road to PAH.

http://bloodjournal..../full/99/5/1552

I have little knowledge of the systems involved, here. Can anyone clue me in about how un/desirable it is to increase HVR in healthy younger subjects? If done chronically, could it indeed put one more at risk for PAH?

#36 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

As one of the six in this poll that indicated that they are taking more than 2000mg I can say I do not have PAH, and that my endurance seems only enhanced during long runs. But I mainly take it because it has been, for me, the most effective method of controlling hair loss (coupled with high dose TRes). Taking between 2400 and 4800mg a day

Glad to hear it! :p I think funk's arguments about the validity of this concern were pretty convincing. I've decided to add NAC soon for occasional to frequent use, but would be more comfortable knowing about the connection which krillin mentioned before taking it daily for a long time.

If I may ask, why did you decide on such a high dose? Is the reduction of hair loss dose-dependent? Will definitely be reading more about this benefit. Astragalus also has some promising anecdotal indicators for regrowth, but it's much to early to say with any certainty.

#37 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

If you have the May 2010 edition of LEF magazine (or just wait until it is online shortly) you can read LEF's take on the PAH concern. Page 68 in the mag. In short, they are not concerned and site studies before and after the 2007 mouse study (which used the equiv human dose of 20g/day) that support NAC's use. They label 1200-1800mg per day as a 'moderate dose'.

#38 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

I kept upping the doseuntil the fallout stopped.
I occasionally experiment with lower doeses if my exercise level is
reduced. But right now I am training for the half marathon..as well
as hitting the weights. I just ran ten miles yesterday and then did
an arm workout this morning for example.

Glad to hear it! :|? I think funk's arguments about the validity of this concern were pretty convincing. I've decided to add NAC soon for occasional to frequent use, but would be more comfortable knowing about the connection which krillin mentioned before taking it daily for a long time.

If I may ask, why did you decide on such a high dose? Is the reduction of hair loss dose-dependent? Will definitely be reading more about this benefit. Astragalus also has some promising anecdotal indicators for regrowth, but it's much to early to say with any certainty.

#39 woly

• Guest, F@H
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:15 AM

Maybe I am not understanding the pathways correctly but isnt an increase in HVR a good thing? A increase in RBC production etc seems like a healthy response to hypoxic conditions. It seems to me that PAH is a chronic disease that develops over time, as long as the subject is not in a hypoxic state for an extended period of time then it seems like a good thing?

#40 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

I can't believe that anyone takes LEF seriously these days. Here are the effects that LEF left out of their propaganda piece.

Thiols like cysteine and cysteamine cause aortic rupture.
NAC impairs healing.
NAC impairs beneficial redox signaling.

Also note how in their latest defense of an unfairly maligned supplement, they failed to mention that soy is associated with brain shrinkage and birth defects.

#41 balance

• 449 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

soy and brain shrinkage? I did not know that... Please tell me more Krillin!

So NAC is still a supplement a healthy person should never take according to you?

Edited by piet3r, 23 June 2010 - 12:22 PM.

#42 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:32 AM

soy and brain shrinkage? I did not know that... Please tell me more Krillin!

So NAC is still a supplement a healthy person should never take according to you?

Yes, I think NAC is for ER-type emergencies and not for chronic use. That's what whey protein is for. Soy studies below.

J Am Coll Nutr. 2000 Apr;19(2):242-55.
Brain aging and midlife tofu consumption.
White LR, Petrovitch H, Ross GW, Masaki K, Hardman J, Nelson J, Davis D, Markesbery W.
National Institute on Aging, NIH, USA.
Comment in:

* J Am Coll Nutr. 2000 Aug;19(4):467-8.
* J Am Coll Nutr. 2000 Apr;19(2):207-9.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: To examine associations of midlife tofu consumption with brain function and structural changes in late life. METHODS: The design utilized surviving participants of a longitudinal study established in 1965 for research on heart disease, stroke, and cancer. Information on consumption of selected foods was available from standardized interviews conducted 1965-1967 and 1971-1974. A 4-level composite intake index defined "low-low" consumption as fewer than two servings of tofu per week in 1965 and no tofu in the prior week in 1971. Men who reported two or more servings per week at both interviews were defined as "high-high" consumers. Intermediate or less consistent "low" and "high" consumption levels were also defined. Cognitive functioning was tested at the 1991-1993 examination, when participants were aged 71 to 93 years (n = 3734). Brain atrophy was assessed using neuroimage (n = 574) and autopsy (n = 290) information. Cognitive function data were also analyzed for wives of a sample of study participants (n = 502) who had been living with the participants at the time of their dietary interviews. RESULTS: Poor cognitive test performance, enlargement of ventricles and low brain weight were each significantly and independently associated with higher midlife tofu consumption. A similar association of midlife tofu intake with poor late life cognitive test scores was also observed among wives of cohort members, using the husband's answers to food frequency questions as proxy for the wife's consumption. Statistically significant associations were consistently demonstrated in linear and logistic multivariate regression models. Odds ratios comparing endpoints among "high-high" with "low-low" consumers were mostly in the range of 1.6 to 2.0. CONCLUSIONS: In this population, higher midlife tofu consumption was independently associated with indicators of cognitive impairment and brain atrophy in late life.

PMID: 10763906

J Anti Aging Med. 2003;6(4):335-6.
Soy-induced brain atrophy?
Goddard IW.
University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, USA. igoddard@umd.edu
Abstract

Epidemiological research has demonstrated a positive correlation between tofu consumption and brain atrophy in men. Because correlation does not prove causation, correlation-based hypotheses should be tested against the availability of possible causal mechanisms. While it has been shown that the soy phytoestrogen genistein inhibits neuroprotective functions in cell cultures, recent in-vivo findings strengthen the case for a possible causal mechanism of soy-induced neurodegeneration. The author suggests possible responses to this data regarding soy consumption.

PMID: 15142435

BMC Neurosci. 2001;2:20. Epub 2001 Dec 17.
Visual spatial memory is enhanced in female rats (but inhibited in males) by dietary soy phytoestrogens.
Lund TD, West TW, Tian LY, Bu LH, Simmons DL, Setchell KD, Adlercreutz H, Lephart ED.
The Neuroscience Center Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602, USA. Neuroscience@byu.edu

BACKGROUND: In learning and memory tasks, requiring visual spatial memory (VSM), males exhibit superior performance to females (a difference attributed to the hormonal influence of estrogen). This study examined the influence of phytoestrogens (estrogen-like plant compounds) on VSM, utilizing radial arm-maze methods to examine varying aspects of memory. Additionally, brain phytoestrogen, calbindin (CALB), and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) levels were determined. RESULTS: Female rats receiving lifelong exposure to a high-phytoestrogen containing diet (Phyto-600) acquired the maze faster than females fed a phytoestrogen-free diet (Phyto-free); in males the opposite diet effect was identified. In a separate experiment, at 80 days-of-age, animals fed the Phyto-600 diet lifelong either remained on the Phyto-600 or were changed to the Phyto-free diet until 120 days-of-age. Following the diet change Phyto-600 females outperformed females switched to the Phyto-free diet, while in males the opposite diet effect was identified.Furthermore, males fed the Phyto-600 diet had significantly higher phytoestrogen concentrations in a number of brain regions (frontal cortex, amygdala & cerebellum); in frontal cortex, expression of CALB (a neuroprotective calcium-binding protein) decreased while COX-2 (an inducible inflammatory factor prevalent in Alzheimer's disease) increased. CONCLUSIONS: Results suggest that dietary phytoestrogens significantly sex-reversed the normal sexually dimorphic expression of VSM. Specifically, in tasks requiring the use of reference, but not working, memory, VSM was enhanced in females fed the Phyto-600 diet, whereas, in males VSM was inhibited by the same diet. These findings suggest that dietary soy derived phytoestrogens can influence learning and memory and alter the expression of proteins involved in neural protection and inflammation in rats.

PMID: 11801187

Brain Res. 2000 Mar 17;859(1):123-31.
Phytoestrogens decrease brain calcium-binding proteins but do not alter hypothalamic androgen metabolizing enzymes in adult male rats.
Lephart ED, Thompson JM, Setchell KD, Adlercreutz H, Weber KS.
Neuroscience Center, 633 WIDB, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602, USA. edwin_lephart@byu.edu
Abstract

Phytoestrogen [plant estrogenic-like molecule(s)] research has grown rapidly in recent years due to their potential health benefits. However, little is known about phytoestrogen's effects on the CNS. Androgen metabolizing enzymes are known to regulate neuroendocrine functions and reproductive behaviors, while calcium-binding proteins are associated with protecting against neurodegenerative diseases. Therefore, we examined aromatase and 5alpha-reductase enzyme activities in the medial basal hypothalamic and preoptic area (mbh-poa) and characterized mbh-poa and amygdala (amy) calbindin and calretinin levels (via Western analysis) from animals fed a phytoestrogen-free (P-free) vs. a phytoestrogen-containing diet [(P-600); that had 600 microg/g of phytoestrogens]. After approximately 5 weeks on the diets, the male rats were killed at 105 days. P-600 plasma phytoestrogen levels were 78-fold higher than the P-free values and the mbh-poa phytoestrogen content was 8-fold higher than the P-free group, demonstrating the passage of phytoestrogens into brain. In general, brain aromatase or 5alpha-reductase activity levels were not significantly altered by the experimental diets. However, independent of brain site (i.e., mbh-poa or amy) the abundance of calbindin from male P-600 rats was significantly lower than P-free animals. Conversely, for calretinin there were no significant alterations in the mbh-poa tissue site, while in the amy a similar pattern of expression was seen to that of the calbindin results. These data suggest that consumption of phytoestrogens via a soy diet for a relatively short interval can significantly: (1) elevate plasma and brain phytoestrogens levels and (2) decrease brain calcium-binding proteins without altering brain androgen metabolizing enzymes.

PMID: 10720621
  • like x 1

#43 TigerMask

• 147 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:38 AM

When is the optimal time of day to take NAC? I've read that it is unwise to take it after alcohol consumption. What about after consumption of particularly unhealthy foods?

With a product like Jarrow's NAC Sustain (http://www.iherb.com...ablets/135?at=0), a version of NAC where the majority of the amino acid is released over a 4 hour period, a few questions arise for me. Is there really any advantage to this product? And, are there any flaws in the design of this product? If it is released over a 4 hour period, but someone, before the 4 hour period is over, goes drinking or participates in some other activity that their liver will hate them for, will there be bad results? Though I have purchased this product and may use it, I know not everything is better time-released.

#44 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

^^ Can you (or anyone) explain why NAC is bad to take with/after alcohol? A quick search only turned up speculation that it's generally helpful in this situation.

#45 TigerMask

• 147 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:22 AM

Most of what I've read was speculation that it can be harmful during or after drinking alcohol. This idea is not mine, so I cannot provide you with any information, but I might look at the forum later and see if I can come up with anything. I was hoping the people that made this claim would come to this thread and answer my original question.

It's safe with an MAOI, right? I'll be starting Parnate soon.

#46 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts on Tigermask's question: why is it bad to drink alcohol at the same time as (or before) NAC supplementation? This is particularly poignant because a lot of us take NAC timed release supplements before we drink, and by the time we start drinking the NAC will still be releasing into the system.

Anyone?

#47 numbered

• Guest, F@H
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts on Tigermask's question: why is it bad to drink alcohol at the same time as (or before) NAC supplementation? This is particularly poignant because a lot of us take NAC timed release supplements before we drink, and by the time we start drinking the NAC will still be releasing into the system.

Anyone?

Maybe absorption issues? You need to drink a lot of water with NAC with Vitamin C. alcohol dehydrates. Dunno just a guess.

#48 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

NAC can reverse air trapping in patients with emphysema/COPD (like me). There is a clinical trial stage IV ongoing. Results should be published by next year. The study used 1200 mg/day and found no negative effects long term.

The Effect of High Dose N-acetylcysteine on Airtrapping and Airway Resistance in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) Patients

N-Acetylcysteine Beneficial for Chronic Lung Disease

Oral N-acetylcysteine attenuates elastase-induced pulmonary emphysema in rats.

I have elastase induced emphysema. I tried 1200 mg NAC (LEF) in a single dose and this gave me MAD shortness of breath. It wasn't at all what i was expecting. This was a few months ago. Today I tried 600 mg and again I developed shortness of breath but not as pronounced as the higher dose. All the studies point to NAC as being helpful. Maybe there is an adjustment period or something or maybe my case is the exception to the rule.

#49 leha

• 219 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:40 AM

Or step one on the road to restoring normal levels if you're getting on in years?

#50 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:48 AM

All the hangover supplements I've ever seen have NAC as the base ingredient to increase glutathione...

Biology of a Hangover: Acetaldehyde

A product of alcohol metabolism that is more toxic than alcohol itself, acetaldehyde is created when the alcohol in the liver is broken down by an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase. The acetaldehyde is then attacked by another enzyme, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, and another substance called glutathione, which contains high quantities of cysteine (a substance that is attracted to acetaldehyde). Together, the acetaldehyde dehydrogenase and the glutathione form the nontoxic acetate (a substance similar to vinegar). This process works well, leaving the acetaldehyde only a short amount of time to do its damage if only a few drinks are consumed.

Unfortunately, the liver's stores of glutathione quickly run out when larger amounts of alcohol enter the system. This causes the acetaldehyde to build up in the body as the liver creates more glutathione, leaving the toxin in the body for long periods of time.

• like x 1

#51 Dorian Grey

• 2,161 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

Here's why you should take NAC before drinking, but not after...

Cheers!

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16439183

A dual effect of N-acetylcysteine on acute ethanol-induced liver damage in mice.Wang AL, Wang JP, Wang H, Chen YH, Zhao L, Wang LS, Wei W, Xu DX.
Department of Toxicology, Anhui Medical University, Hefei 230032, PR China; Toxicology Laboratory, Center for Disease Control of Anhui Province, Hefei 230032, PR China.

Reactive oxygen species (ROS) have been associated with acute ethanol-induced liver damage. N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a glutathione (GSH) precursor and direct antioxidant. In this study, we investigated the effects of NAC on acute ethanol-induced liver damage. Female ICR mice were administered by gavage with a single dose of ethanol (6g/kg). NAC was administered in two different modes. In mode A, mice were injected with different doses of NAC at 30min before ethanol. In mode B, mice were injected with different doses of NAC at 4h after ethanol. Acute ethanol-induced liver damage was estimated by measuring serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) activity and histopathological changes. Result showed that a single dose of ethanol (6g/kg) caused a significant increase in serum ALT activity, followed by microvesicular steatosis and necrosis in mouse liver. Pretreatment with NAC significantly protected against acute ethanol-induced liver damage in a dose-independent manner. Correspondingly, pretreatment with NAC significantly attenuated acute ethanol-induced lipid peroxidation and GSH depletion and inhibited hepatic TNF-alpha mRNA expression. By contrast, post-treatment with NAC aggravated ethanol-induced hepatic lipid peroxidation and worsened acute ethanol-induced liver damage in a dose-dependent manner. Taken together, NAC has a dual effect on acute ethanol-induced liver damage. Pretreatment with NAC prevent from acute ethanol-induced liver damage via counteracting ethanol-induced oxidative stress. When administered after ethanol, NAC might behave as a pro-oxidant and aggravate acute ethanol-induced liver damage.

PMID: 16439183 [PubMed - in process]
  • like x 1

#52 Dorian Grey

• 2,161 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

My thoughts on NAC are the same as with most anything else one might consume...

Low doses are not likely to cause problems and often may be beneficial...

High doses of anything are risky and should be avoided.

Looking at the pros and cons of NAC, I'd say this is especially true here!

I'd never take more than 600mg of NAC in a day, and I'm not worried when I do.

Moderation in all things, and to thine own self be true!
  • like x 1

#53 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Here's why you should take NAC before drinking, but not after...

Cheers!

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16439183

A dual effect of N-acetylcysteine on acute ethanol-induced liver damage in mice.Wang AL, Wang JP, Wang H, Chen YH, Zhao L, Wang LS, Wei W, Xu DX.
Department of Toxicology, Anhui Medical University, Hefei 230032, PR China; Toxicology Laboratory, Center for Disease Control of Anhui Province, Hefei 230032, PR China.

Reactive oxygen species (ROS) have been associated with acute ethanol-induced liver damage. N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a glutathione (GSH) precursor and direct antioxidant. In this study, we investigated the effects of NAC on acute ethanol-induced liver damage. Female ICR mice were administered by gavage with a single dose of ethanol (6g/kg). NAC was administered in two different modes. In mode A, mice were injected with different doses of NAC at 30min before ethanol. In mode B, mice were injected with different doses of NAC at 4h after ethanol. Acute ethanol-induced liver damage was estimated by measuring serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) activity and histopathological changes. Result showed that a single dose of ethanol (6g/kg) caused a significant increase in serum ALT activity, followed by microvesicular steatosis and necrosis in mouse liver. Pretreatment with NAC significantly protected against acute ethanol-induced liver damage in a dose-independent manner. Correspondingly, pretreatment with NAC significantly attenuated acute ethanol-induced lipid peroxidation and GSH depletion and inhibited hepatic TNF-alpha mRNA expression. By contrast, post-treatment with NAC aggravated ethanol-induced hepatic lipid peroxidation and worsened acute ethanol-induced liver damage in a dose-dependent manner. Taken together, NAC has a dual effect on acute ethanol-induced liver damage. Pretreatment with NAC prevent from acute ethanol-induced liver damage via counteracting ethanol-induced oxidative stress. When administered after ethanol, NAC might behave as a pro-oxidant and aggravate acute ethanol-induced liver damage.

PMID: 16439183 [PubMed - in process]

Anyone want to hazard a guess what would happen from the point of view of liver damage if you took timed release NAC (1/3 immediate release 2/3 sustained release) 30 minutes before ethanol consumption? Do you think it would have a net positive or net negative effect? Are we better off taking non-timed release NAC if we are going to start drinking?

#54 Dorian Grey

• 2,161 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

I would hazard a guess the bulk of your sustained release would be released late or after you finished your tipple...

Given the results of the study, I'd err on the side of caution.

If you took the sustained release before lunch, and your tipple was in the evening, this might be a better way to go with this type of supplement provided you had not had something to drink the night before, in which case you may be dosing too soon after last night's tipple.

I drop one fast release NAC before dinner on nights I'll be drinking (adding 500mg of vitamin C with the NAC and 500mg more C after dinner) and the results are quite remarkable... It seems even if I over-do it on the alcohol, I still wake up bright as a button and fresh as a daisy the next morning.

Magical stuff!

The vitamin C is important tho... Too much oxidized NAC is not good (high homocysteine!), and the vitamin C is what fixes this. B-Complex with NAC is important too.

Cheers!

Edited by synesthesia, 15 January 2011 - 06:55 PM.

#55 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:07 AM

I agree, I think I will be dropping the slow release NAC from my pre-drinking regimen.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#56 Julia36

• 2,267 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

Heavy stuff . Gave me bad symptoms and had to halt it.
  • dislike x 1

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users