Photo

23andMe Slashes Personal Genome Screen Price to $399

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

23andMe cuts DNA scan cost to $399

The Google-backed startup 23andMe is slashing the price of its personal DNA scanning service from $999 to $399 in a bid to attract more customers and expand its database of individual genetic profiles as an asset to offer to medical researchers.

The heavily discounted fee makes 23andMe of Mountain View the cheapest by far among competitors that have leapt into consumer genome testing over the past year with prices ranging from about $1,000 to as much as $2,500. These kinds of companies, which include Navigenics of Redwood City, analyze a sampling of genes along a customer's DNA and point out variations that might influence disease risks or behavioral traits to some degree.

"We're really focusing on the democratization of genetic information," said 23andMe co-founder Anne Wojcicki. The private company attracted additional interest for the emerging field because it received early backing from Google co-founder Sergey Brin, who is Wojcicki's husband.

While the genome companies say they are empowering individuals who want more control over their own health care, critics have cautioned that most of the genetic information provided would make little real difference in decisions made by patients and their doctors. At worst, critics say, customers might exaggerate the significance of a positive or negative test. They might feel doomed to develop a preventable illness such as heart disease, or wrongly conclude that they are entirely free of risk and abandon their diet and exercise plans.

"The question is, 'What are the unanticipated consequences?' " said Dr. Robert Nussbaum, chief of the division of medical genetics in the department of medicine at UCSF.

The state Department of Health Services required licensing of various direct-to-consumer gene-testing offerings this year. It evaluated company labs to see if they accurately identified genetic variations. Of the firms offering genome scans, Navigenics and 23andMe have cleared that hurdle so far.

Wojcicki declined to say how many people have signed up for the Web-based 23andMe service, which includes an interpretation of each individual's genetic pattern based on scientific study results, and social networking features that allow members to share their results with friends and family.

The price plunge being announced today was made possible by a new, higher-density gene-scanning chip made by Illumina Inc. of San Diego, said Wojcicki and co-founder Linda Avey.

"$1,000 was a barrier," said Avey. Greater popular access to the service will also support 23andMe's long-term plan to act as a liaison between drug researchers and groups of people with specific medical and genetic profiles, Avey said. Customers' personal information will not be sold, she said, but could be used by 23andMe to identify individuals to contact on behalf of drugmakers or researchers conducting clinical trials.

Such a database of information on the genetics and health histories of many individuals would have huge commercial value, Avey said. However, 23andMe still intends to reap a profit from membership fees at the lowered price.

"It's not a loss leader," said Wojcicki.

23andMe cuts DNA scan cost to $399

Edited by maestro949, 09 September 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#2 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

Wasn't an article just recently saying DNA sequencing still costs 350,000$?

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:38 PM

Wasn't an article just recently saying DNA sequencing still costs 350,000$?

They don't do full sequencing for that but the price is coming down. One day it will be possible to get full sequencing for less than $1000.

#4 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

Wow.. getting cheaper and cheaper, just as expected. It's good to see our expectations of exponential increase of efficiency in certain technologies come true.

#5 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

Wow.. getting cheaper and cheaper, just as expected. It's good to see our expectations of exponential increase of efficiency in certain technologies come true.

And to think that we haven't even started up the accelerating part of the curve yet. Current biotech is like what punch cards and vacuum tubes are to the software and hardware fields respectively. There's still a whole slew of potential to tap. There be gold in them DNA sequences ;)

#6 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:32 PM

Annoyed you paid $1K a couple of months ago?

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:05 PM

The $350,000 is for a full DNA analysis - every single base pair.

The $399 is for SNP analysis - letting you know about certain known genetic abnormalities associated with some diseases - in layman's terms.

23andMe is probably going to clean-up here. The other SNP analysis companies claim they can't do the same analysis for under $1,000 (looks like they need new CSOs & CTOs, lol).

Maestro949's experience with 23andMe

New York and California's overzealous assault on personal genetic freedom

#8 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

Annoyed you paid $1K a couple of months ago?

Slightly as I didn't expect the price to drop that quickly. Had I known I would have held out for the drop and gotten other people further up my family tree sequence as well. The ancestry piece of DNA sequencing is quite fascinating as well.

#9 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

it just reached my price cutoff. I'll be buying the service shortly.

#10 Mind

• 19,055 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

My price point as well.

#11 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

it just reached my price cutoff. I'll be buying the service shortly.

My price point as well.

I wish i could say the same. Soon i will, though ;)

#12 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:05 PM

I'm guessing prices will hit $200 by the end of '09.

If you sign up, be sure to answer the surveys as they use this data to tune their algorithms.

Posted Image

I'm more optimistic than average. Perhaps this is why I think that tackling aging is technically feasible in my lifetime. It'd be interesting to see how others fair on this survey and whether they find any genes that this maps back to.

Posted Image

Edited by maestro949, 10 September 2008 - 10:06 PM.

#13 immortal7

• 22 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:18 PM

I just read about a fascinating gene 5-HTTLPR which predicts positive affect Persons with the long version (blue) are about half as anxious, half as obsessive, generally a third less neurotic generally slightly more trusting, plus more directed towards their own values If I did 23nme I'd prefer to have the happy version yet if I'd be thrilled to do IVF to make sure my child got the beneficial long version

Posted Image
Posted Image

ORIGINAL PAPER
Association of the s allele of the 5-HTTLPR with neuroticism-related traits and temperaments in a psychiatrically healthy population
Xenia Gonda1, 2 , Konstantinos N. Fountoulakis3, Gabriella Juhasz4, Zoltan Rihmer1, Judit Lazary2, Andras Laszik5, Hagop S. Akiskal6, 7, 8 and Gyorgy Bagdy2, 9

Introduction Research concerning the genetic background of traits, temperaments and psychiatric disorders has been rapidly expanding. One of the most frequently studied genetic polymorphisms in the background of psychological and psychiatric phenomena is the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism of the serotonin transporter gene which has earlier been found to be associated with neuroticism and neuroticism-related traits and disorders. However, both the neuroticism trait and psychiatric disorders are complex and composed of several subfacets. The aim of our study was to investigate the association of the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism with several smaller, distinct and better characterisable phenomena related to the neuroticism trait.
Methods 169 healthy females participated in the study. All participants completed the Buss–Durkee Hostility Inventory (BDHI), the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI), The Zung Self-rating Depression Scale (ZSDS), the Beck Hopelessness Scale, the SCL-51, the Temperament and Character Inventory (TCI) and the Temperament Evaluation of Memphis, Pisa, Paris and San Diego (TEMPS-A) questionnaire. All subjects were genotyped for the 5-HTTLPR using PCR. Data were analysed with ANOVA and MANCOVA with age as a covariate.
Results We found that the presence of the s allele was significantly associated with anxiety, depression, hopelessness, guilt, hostility, aggression, presence of neurotic symptoms, self-directedness and affective temperaments carrying a depressive component even when controlling for age.
Conclusions Our study is the first that confirms that traits and characteristics related to neuroticism, such as increased anxiety, depression, hopelessness, somatization, feeling of guilt, hostility, aggression, lack of self-directedness and affective temperament are consistently and independently associated with the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism of the serotonin transporter gene. Our study therefore suggests that neuroticism can be considered a unified construct not only from a phenotypical but also from a genetic point of view and 5HTTLPR can be considered one component of its polygenic background. Our results thus yield further insight into the role of the 5-HTTLPR in the background of neuroticism and neuroticism-related psychiatric disorders.

Attached Files

Edited by immortal7, 14 October 2008 - 11:24 PM.

#14 Mind

• 19,055 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:41 PM

Maestro949: I'm guessing prices will hit $200 by the end of '09.

23andMe announces special $99 kit for specific disease research.

Today 23andMe has announced that it’s launching a much cheaper $99 version of its product as part of a new Research Revolution, which is meant to help 23andMe initiate research studies on genetic diseases that would otherwise require major logistical hurdles and funding. The effort is part of the company’s 23andWe research arm, which has the goal of building grassroots studies from communities of members who are afflicted by various genetic diseases.

Here’s how it works: 23andMe has picked out ten different diseases that it’s looking to study first (the company plans to study more down the line — this is just a starter set). Users visit the site and “pledge” to one disease. The first disease to reach 1000 votes will be the first one studied by 23andMe researchers, though all ten will eventually be studied. Participants agree to complete a number of surveys, and users who have previously submitted their DNA to the service can opt-in and submit votes as well. Voting will run through September 2009.

Unfortunately, the cheaper price comes with some downsides: you’ll miss out on a lot of the analysis that makes 23andMe really cool, like the ability to see your ancestry data, some of the site’s community features, and the ability to download your raw genetic data (which you could theoretically have analyzed again at some point in the future). What you’re left with are the site’s research reports, a list of risks for 100 diseases, and “traits”, along with some basic sharing and community functionality. You can see a full list of differences here.

#15 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

I thought about ordering about a testkit. But the interpretation of the results are not based on enough information, just on the available information. Maybe something for in the future with a lower price. A price of $99 would be in my gadget range.

--

Although companies offering genomic profiles did not specify how they selected polymorphisms for inclusion in the profiles, they probably did so on the basis of statistically significant results from association studies. Because positive results from single gene-disease association studies are often not replicated in subsequent studies,12 one study showing a statistically significant association is considered insufficient evidence of genetic association.10 Our review of meta-analyses found significant associations with disease risk for fewer than half of the 56 genes that are tested in commercially available genomic profiles. Various polymorphisms of these genes were associated with risk for 28 different disorders. Many of these disorders were unrelated to the ostensible target condition, and the associations were generally modest.

Before interpreting our results, we need to clarify four issues regarding the review strategy we used. First, our paper addressed predictive genomic profiles that are sold online and that aim to personalize nutrition and other lifestyle health recommendations. The review did not assess the scientific basis of gene-expression profiles and pharmacogenomic applications. Although there may be applications that have stronger scientific support than others, there are clearly promising developments in this area.[13] and [14] Second, the information on genes and polymorphisms in this study was obtained from company websites and online sample reports. As of November 2007, all seven companies were still selling the profiles, but two no longer specified on their Web sites which genes they were actually testing. Although these companies may now use other polymorphisms to profile the disease risk of their clients, the scientific evidence for the disease risk associated with these other polymorphisms is likely to be similar to that for the polymorphisms we reviewed. Third, we limited our search for meta-analyses to those on the association between polymorphisms and disease susceptibility, and we excluded those on associations with intermediate, quantitative phenotypes or risk factors such as blood pressure or bone mass density because the need for preventive intervention varies with the level of these traits. We did include meta-analyses of associations between polymorphisms and risk for conditions defined by clinically relevant thresholds, such as hypertension or osteoporotic fractures. Because the genetic profiles of the companies are offered to the general public, we restricted our search to meta-analyses of studies that included healthy or general-population controls. Because the predictive value of genetic testing depends on disease risk, genotype frequencies, and odds ratios for the association between disease risk and polymorphisms in a particular genetic profile, all of which may differ between populations, the profiles should be evaluated in the target population.15 This explains why genetic testing for APOE, Factor II [MIM 176930], and Factor V [MIM 227400] can have lower predictive value in a general population context but be very informative to persons with a family history. Fourth, we did not exclude meta-analyses on the basis of quality criteria, even though there were obvious differences in quality among meta-analyses. The authors of larger meta-analyses often selected studies according to a set of strict criteria, whereas the authors of smaller ones often combined all available studies. In addition, more than a quarter of the meta-analyses in Table S2 reported statistically significant heterogeneity in effect sizes among studies. Several of the meta-analyses that found a significant association involving heterogeneous study populations did not find a significant association when the analyses were restricted to a subgroup of more homogenous studies.[16] and [17] Application of strict quality criteria would have reduced the number of meta-analyses in the present review substantially.

These methodological choices partly explain why we found no meta-analyses for 24 of the 56 genes. There were meta-analyses available for many of these genes, but these meta-analyses could not evidence the utility of genomic profiling in the general population. For example, we found several meta-analyses of pharmacogenomic studies (e.g., for CYP2C9 [MIM 601130] and CYP2C19 [MIM 124020][18] and [19]), several meta-analyses on diseases that do not affect the average individual in the general population (such as IL-10 [MIM 124092] and recurrent pregnancy loss20), and meta-analyses on health traits (e.g., smoking behavior and CYP2A6 [122720]21). Furthermore, for many genes we found meta-analyses on other polymorphisms (e.g., IL-10 G[−1082]A22 and LPL Asn291Ser23) or on related genes (e.g., Leptin Receptor gene (LEPR; [MIM 601007]), but not for Leptin [MIM 164160]).24

This review shows that the excess disease risk associated with many genetic variants included in genomic profiles has not been investigated in meta-analyses or has been found to be minimal or not significant. These results raise concern about the validity of combining tests for many different genetic variants into profiles, especially when the companies offering them do not describe how they create a composite profile from the results of tests for single genetic markers. One company reports that they use complex mathematical algorithms to produce personalized diet and lifestyle recommendations. Another recommends basic nutritional or lifestyle-change support for homozygous negatives, added support for heterozygous positives, and maximum support for homozygous positives, which suggests that they are using single genetic markers as the basis for their recommendations. This reliance on single genetic markers is particularly worrisome given the limited predictive value of results from testing single susceptibility genes with small effects.[25], [26] and [27] To be meaningful, a genetic risk profile should combine information about the disease risk associated with multiple genes, and creating such a profile would require extensive knowledge of gene-gene interactions, which are even less well understood than the disease risk associated with individual polymorphisms.

How the companies we examined use their clients' genetic profiles to tailor individualized nutrition-supplement and lifestyle recommendations is another intriguing puzzle. Evidence on gene-diet interactions is still preliminary because trials designed to test these interactions have thus far yielded mainly inconclusive results.28 Furthermore, several genes, such as ACE [MIM 106180], APOE, and MTHFR, increase people's risk for some diseases and decrease their risk for others (Table S2). For example, MTHFR 677TT was associated with an increased risk for depression, stroke, coronary artery disease, gastric cancer, schizophrenia, and venous thrombosis, but it was associated with a decreased risk for colorectal cancer. Hence, the putative health effects of preventive interventions tailored to a person's MTHFR genotype may not be entirely beneficial. Finally, when profiles are composed of low-risk susceptibility genes, people with purportedly “high-risk” profiles may be at only slightly higher risk of disease than are people with “low-risk” profiles. One possible danger of marketing lifestyle recommendations to people with “high-risk” profiles is that those with “low-risk” profiles could be led to mistakenly believe that they have little need to make healthy lifestyle changes. The predictive value of genomic profiling may simply be insufficient for targeting interventions when low-risk groups will receive no intervention at all.29 It also needs to be investigated whether genomic profiling can usefully identify the better from the worse responders in the choice between two treatments.

Although genomic profiling may have potential to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of preventive interventions, to date the scientific evidence for most associations between genetic variants and disease risk is insufficient to support useful applications. Despite advances in nutrigenomics and pharmacogenomics research,30 it could take years, if not decades, before lifestyle and medical interventions can be responsibly and effectively tailored to individual genomic profiles.

http://www.sciencedi...8793cf3a7486bb3

Edited by drmz, 29 July 2009 - 10:48 AM.

#16 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

23andMe announces special $99 kit for specific disease research.

Unfortunately, the cheaper price comes with some downsides: you’ll miss out on a lot of the analysis that makes 23andMe really cool, like the ability to see your ancestry data, some of the site’s community features, and the ability to download your raw genetic data (which you could theoretically have analyzed again at some point in the future). What you’re left with are the site’s research reports, a list of risks for 100 diseases, and “traits”, along with some basic sharing and community functionality. You can see a full list of differences here.

I'm in at this price ($99). It is unfortunate that you only get updates 'til end of 2009. I think it is still worth it for me to do one now, and get another done in the future (5 years?), rather than pay the higher price or wait.

Thanks for the update Mind.

#17 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

it says it is possible to then upgrade from the limited $99 edition to the full edition, but i don't see how much it costs to upgrade???

it is asked to state which disease or condition we mainly support. Aging was not there, so i asked to add it to the list ;) .
Don't hesitate to do the same here: https://www.23andme....lution/suggest/

#18 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:54 AM

I'm a... patient diagnosed with this disease or condition

Great :-)

#19 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

oh they have an entry for longevity: https://www.23andme..../pre_longevity/

#20 jaysb

• 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

Well that's good news i guess. Thanks for sharing it here.

Regards,
Jays

#21 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

Oh the 99$ edition is not anymore on the web site. It was a little limited but affordable. Now it is 429 or 499$, I'm wondering whether they still provide the row data. Isn't a full genome sequencing now 1700$?

one good news: they currently have 3 research initiatives: Pregnancy, Parkinson's Disease, and... longevity!!

Longevity[/url]</H4>As a member of the Senior Games Genome Project, you'll be part of a groundbreaking effort to discover genes associated with healthy aging. Simply take our online surveys, developed together with our scientific advisors, and enrith your 23andMe experience. You'll help us collect valuable scientific data that could help make personalized medicine a reality.

I'm going to do the survey right now, it should help them find SNPs linked to longevity

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:18 AM

Has anyone actually used 23andme's $399 price point service? If so could you please respond as to your experience as this is something I would like to partake in if I hear good things.

Thanks.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users