Photo
- - - - -

Pomegranate options - Your opinion?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 afuturestrader

• 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

After spending time reading posts here I decided to add Pomegarante to my daily regime but could use some help with which product to purchase.

I first considered Fruit Fast Wonder at Brown wood acres. It is easy to order, not overly expensive and easy to take - only one teaspoon.
http://www.brownwood...pomegranate.htm

However I then saw the potency chart over at Pompills. Not an impressive showing for Fruit Fast Wonder.
http://www.pompills....cy/default.aspx

I also note that many here seem to prefer actual Pomegarante juice, likely because many studies use actual juice as opposed to an extract. So I went looking for a locally available juice at a reasonable cost.

The best I could do locally was locate Odwalla's Pomagrand. However, it is made from concentrate and is a mix - with wild berry extract. Does that matter?

So my questions are

Does Fruit Fast Wonder appear to provide the benefits of Pomegarante juice?

Would a Pomegranate juice made from concentrate provide the same benefits as the real thing? Any ideas on determining how much Pomagrand one would need to drink to get the equivalent of 8 ounces of Pomegranate juice? (I have been unable to determine how of the juice is Pomegranate vs. wild berry)

Thanks for your thoughts.

#2 100YearsToGo

• 204 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

After spending time reading posts here I decided to add Pomegarante to my daily regime but could use some help with which product to purchase.

I first considered Fruit Fast Wonder at Brown wood acres. It is easy to order, not overly expensive and easy to take - only one teaspoon.
http://www.brownwood...pomegranate.htm

However I then saw the potency chart over at Pompills. Not an impressive showing for Fruit Fast Wonder.
http://www.pompills....cy/default.aspx

I also note that many here seem to prefer actual Pomegarante juice, likely because many studies use actual juice as opposed to an extract. So I went looking for a locally available juice at a reasonable cost.

The best I could do locally was locate Odwalla's Pomagrand. However, it is made from concentrate and is a mix - with wild berry extract. Does that matter?

So my questions are

Does Fruit Fast Wonder appear to provide the benefits of Pomegarante juice?

Would a Pomegranate juice made from concentrate provide the same benefits as the real thing? Any ideas on determining how much Pomagrand one would need to drink to get the equivalent of 8 ounces of Pomegranate juice? (I have been unable to determine how of the juice is Pomegranate vs. wild berry)

Thanks for your thoughts.

I found it best to take pom wonderful juice. It is made from concentrate. There are a couple of studies that used exactly this juice brand. Before you ask...yes the studies were paid by pom wonderfull. I just buy a couple of bottles and drink it whenever I feel like it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:18 PM

I personally just drink a small amount (2-4 ounces) of Pom Wonderful. I get it at Costco, so it's not insanely expensive. I realize there is sugar in it, but I drink it with a meal (fiber), so hopefully I'm not getting a big glucose spike from it. And most Pom studies, as you mentioned, used juice not extracts.

That said, extracts like Cardiogranate, Pomella (used in LEF products), POMx (Pom wonderful extract), may work just fine too. But you probably should avoid pomegranate extracts that are standardized to 40% ellagic acid, as many other supplement brands tend to do. That level is higher than what is found in natural pomegranates.

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:25 PM

POMx pills look good, 1g polyphenols per cap.

#5 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

In the chart, was POM comparing the fruitfast capsules or the liquid? It doesn't seem clear.

I've used the Brown wood acres Pom concentrate. If you use the suggested dose, one bottle goes a long way. Everytime I used it, I got a nice buzz and cognitive boost. My family caught on and quickly used up my bottle. It's really good stuff. I also use their wild blueberry extract and it's the only one that produce that cognitive effect I've read about. I tried a few brands from Iherb and none did the trick.

Sorry to go off-topic but can anyone suggest other potent wild blueberry extracts? I have to buy a six month supply and I want to use the best one possible. I am torn between continuing to use the Brownwood acres or maybe try fruit advantage??

Edited by Lufega, 20 December 2008 - 10:05 PM.

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:49 PM

Sorry to go off-topic but can anyone suggest other potent wild blueberry extracts? I have to buy a six month supply and I want to use the best one possible. I am torn between continuing to use the Brownwood acres or maybe try fruit advantage??

the brown acre farms blueberry bars are pretty potent.. 313mg anthocyanins for 1$/day.

a 3lb bag of wild blueberries costs around 13$ at whole foods.. if you dont mind eating them, its more cost effective compared to supplements yielding approx 500mg anthocyanins for 1$/day

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

The case for juice over extract

I just eat the seeds, however, it is a pain in the you-know-what, geeting the seed out of a pomegranate.

#8 Prometheus

• 592 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

Anyone tried crushing a whole pomegranate and having the juice fresh? (also any suggestions on how to best to that ;) )

#9 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:01 AM

I take LEF's pomegrante blueberry and chocogold.

It is standardized to punicalagins rather than ellagic acid.

#10 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:34 AM

Anyone tried crushing a whole pomegranate and having the juice fresh? (also any suggestions on how to best to that ;) )

You just gave my an idea. I'll buy a couple of Pomegranates and pass them through a Jack Lalane juicer I have. I found that juicing whole lemons and oranges (with rind) actually tastes pretty good and I'm getting all the pectin and oils in the skin.

#11 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

You just gave my an idea. I'll buy a couple of Pomegranates and pass them through a Jack Lalane juicer I have. I found that juicing whole lemons and oranges (with rind) actually tastes pretty good and I'm getting all the pectin and oils in the skin.

Is the rind of the pomegranate edible? I know it is for some fruits, like mangos, but eh, pomegenrates...?

#12 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

rinds tend to concentrate pesticides... not sure how good of an idea that is.

#13 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

rinds tend to concentrate pesticides... not sure how good of an idea that is.

http://www.foodnavig...l-as-supplement
This link indicates that pomegranate peel has more more potential than pulp or juice, but it also says, "Numerous pomegranate extracts are commercially available, some of which are made from whole fruits, including the peel. "

I wonder whether many if not most of commercially-available extract supplements include the peel. If so, could that mean that concentrated pesticides end up in the extract?

#14 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

I wonder whether many if not most of commercially-available extract supplements include the peel. If so, could that mean that concentrated pesticides end up in the extract?

most good quality brands will test for pesticide contamination along with metal/microbiological/etc

#15 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:26 AM

Trader Joe's has pre-packaged pomegranate seeds that I eat sometimes. They're yummy and relatively cheap (about $3 methinks).

#16 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

Trader Joe's sells an organic pomegranate juice for $5.50 a quart, which is the lowest price I've found for organic.

It is from concentrate.

#17 afuturestrader

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

Trader Joe's sells an organic pomegranate juice for $5.50 a quart, which is the lowest price I've found for organic.

It is from concentrate.

Would it be equivalent (to store bought pomegranate juice) to simply purchase a pomegranate juice concentrate and add water?

I ask because it is easy to have pomegrante juice concentrate shipped. Plus most pomegranate juice seems to be made from concentrate, including Pom Wonderful.

#18 joann234

• 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

Here is an interesting story on a new pesticide being used in the Bay area to protect the pomegranate against the light brown apple moth. A very interesting read.

http://www.globalres...n...va&aid=8544

The prepackaged pomegranate seeds from Trader Joe's are a good treat and tasty. Regarding the pomegranate concentrate over the capsules, I prefer the capsules for the convenience. I take the Fruit Advantage Pomegranate capsules and I just starting taking the Fruit Advantage tart cherry. Both are tested out as pesticide free.

#19 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

I take LEF's pomegrante blueberry and chocogold.

It is standardized to punicalagins rather than ellagic acid.

I put the contents of one capsule in a bottle of water. Shaken, not stirred. :)
The taste is not bad if you like strong tea, it has the benefit of no sugar.

I have some trouble drinking the required daily quantity of clear water (one way or another I dislike it), but not in the form of tea or with some added stuff like this.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:26 AM

Am I getting the same stuff in the seeds as I am in the juice?

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 25 December 2008 - 08:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users