Photo
- - - - -

Niacin - Dangerous reaction?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Advanc3d

• 283 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

One of my mates tried 300mg of Niacin on possibly half empty stomach.

as i was with him, he reported to me that it felt like his throat was getting swallon i.e it was closing, in a way it was really hard for him to breath, then straight after his stomach started hurting. all up lasting 5 minutes. all of which happened right when the flush kicked in

i was told it was something he never felt before.

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

That does sound unusual, there might be an allergy involved to a filler in the product. I would never ever recommend someone that is not already a regular user of nicotinic acid take 300mg at once though. You'd be in for an industrial strength, highly unpleasant flush. Doses like that need to be gradually built up to.

Was this a "Jackass" style, put-electrodes-on-your-testicles-so-your-buddies-can-laugh kind of experiment or what?

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 24 February 2009 - 04:18 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

That does sound unusual, there might be an allergy involved to a filler in the product. I would never ever recommend someone that is not already a regular user of nicotinic acid take 300mg at once though. You'd be in for an industrial strength, highly unpleasant flush. Doses like that need to be gradually built up to.

Was this a "Jackass" style, put-electrodes-on-your-testicles-so-your-buddies-can-laugh kind of experiment or what?

Niacin can be stepped up pretty quickly too ....I went from 100mg a day to 1g a day (500mg BID) in 2 weeks of scaling up. I have a minor flush from it thats usually lasts no more than 5 minutes.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like an angioedema reaction, but luckily more
on the milder side. Can be dangerous.

http://images.google...a...sa=N&tab=wi

With niacin, you should start at no more than 50 mg,
the strength which doctors (usually ENTs) prescribe over
here as a vasodilator.

Even at that dosage, it can release lots of histamine
if you have an allergic disposition (like me - whole
face will flush red and itch, and that was during my
younger days).

Edited by tham, 24 February 2009 - 05:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users