Photo
* * * - - 9 votes

Vitamin K2 MK-4 use in Japan

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:04 AM

The argument is pretty silly. Its not like the MK4 or MK7 cost an arm and a leg.

Take em both! Its not an either OR thing

#32 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:36 AM

This older study might be a good start.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Clarity

• 135 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

Rest assured that the OP is terribly incorrect (and sort of reminds me of a stock pumper - except in this case it's a supplement form).
This is at least from my own experience:

I was found to have arteriosclerosis in my abdominal aorta after a routine pelvic xray for chiro treatment. Upon finding that out, I used Mk-7 for the following 6 mos (maybe it was a bit longer). I have only used MK-7 (though I did use nattokinase here & there). I had 2 CT scans from neck to pelvis about a year after for other reasons, which showed NO arteriosclerois.

The first xray diagnosis was not an anomaly on the xray, as it was perfectly aligned with the edge of the aorta.

I also have a mild clotting disorder (hetero for prothrombin mutation G20210A) as well as prediabetic. I take my blood sugar daily, and if anything, using MK-7 alone (without the nattokinase) slightly thins my blood. I am very atuned as to my own symptoms of when my blood is slightly hypercoagulating and have not experienced them on MK-7. If anything it has improved circulatory symptoms.

I have the reports if anyone wants proof :)

Edited by Clarity, 31 March 2010 - 09:44 PM.

#34 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

Rest assured that the OP is terribly incorrect (and sort of reminds me of a stock pumper - except in this case it's a supplement form).
This is at least from my own experience:

I was found to have arteriosclerosis in my abdominal aorta after a routine pelvic xray for chiro treatment. Upon finding that out, I used Mk-7 for the following 6 mos (maybe it was a bit longer). I have only used MK-7 (though I did use nattokinase here & there). I had 2 CT scans from neck to pelvis about a year after for other reasons, which showed NO arteriosclerois.

The first xray diagnosis was not an anomaly on the xray, as it was perfectly aligned with the edge of the aorta.

I also have a mild clotting disorder (hetero for prothrombin mutation G20210A) as well as prediabetic. I take my blood sugar daily, and if anything, using MK-7 alone (without the nattokinase) slightly thins my blood. I am very atuned as to my own symptoms of when my blood is slightly hypercoagulating and have not experienced them on MK-7. If anything it has improved circulatory symptoms.

I have the reports if anyone wants proof :)

Fantastic! I love hearing success stories like this one.

#35 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

Vitamin K2 Mk-4 is mostly concentrated in the salivary gland in humans and animals. Mk-7 is found in fermented foods like cheese and natto. Preformed mk-4 seems like the best option. I'm with asako on this one.

Some japanese studies on mk-4:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15188971

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/3661911

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16606623

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/14704312

#36 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

I'm still quite torn. MK4 is quite more expensive perhaps because they sell it in mg while MK7 retails usually at the lowr mcg dose

#37 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

I'm still quite torn. MK4 is quite more expensive perhaps because they sell it in mg while MK7 retails usually at the lowr mcg dose

See the post two up from here. MK-7 works for atherosclerosis.

This is an old thread. The community supplement design topic covered the case for both MK4 and MK7, and the consensus was that MK7 provided sufficient extra benefit compared to K2. The multi-vitamin supplement the members designed uses K1 and the MK7 form of K2.

Edited by maxwatt, 08 January 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#38 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

A BIG SIGH........

When will all of this be cleared up regarding mk-4 vs mk-7? I have been very interested in vitamin k for is ability to reverse calcification for about five and half years now.

We need someone that can look at this matter and tell us in a simple manner of speech, which is better to take? Please don't say both because they cost too much.

I want to know what my parents should be taking so that their arteries can be supple and flexible and stroke-free and heart attack free.

#39 Mike C

• 84 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

A BIG SIGH........

When will all of this be cleared up regarding mk-4 vs mk-7? I have been very interested in vitamin k for is ability to reverse calcification for about five and half years now.

We need someone that can look at this matter and tell us in a simple manner of speech, which is better to take? Please don't say both because they cost too much.

I want to know what my parents should be taking so that their arteries can be supple and flexible and stroke-free and heart attack free.

I have three damaged heart valves from early bouts of Rheumatic fever. I am 57 years old and see a cardiologist every year. He makes me get an echo and looks at my valves and has been doing so for 11 years. The last 5 years i have been taking jarrows mk-7 every other day with a meal. prior to that i was getting mk-4 from ortho core and still do but I only take one ortho capsule a day these past 5 years. The cardiologist who i last visited in Sept 2010 told me that whatever i'm doing keep on doing it because he thinks, after looking at my valve progression for 11 years, that i will die of something other than heart disease. He says my progression is very atypical-meaning they are not deteriorating-calcifying-like a typical guy my age.

Does that prove mk-7 is responsible? Of course not- I am calorie restricted and exercise, drink cabernet wine, lots of berries etc etc. I am very health conscious IOW's. But perhaps the MK-7 is also doing some good. Bottom line is I wouldn't just depend on supplemnts like MK-7.

Mike C.

#40 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

See the post two up from here. MK-7 works for atherosclerosis.
This is an old thread. The community supplement design topic covered the case for both MK4 and MK7, and the consensus was that MK7 provided sufficient extra benefit compared to K2. The multi-vitamin supplement the members designed uses K1 and the MK7 form of K2.

Hi, maxwatt! Two points:
1. That above post seems to have some uncanny resemblance to this certain commenter named Wendy: http://wholehealthso...930514878772087

to which the proceeding commenters replied that a pelvic x-ray from a chiropractor is not a sensitive tool to diagnose calcification or atherosclerosis, which I actually agree. A calcium CT score or angiography would yield a different result. They are suggesting that Clarity / Wendy's chiropractor may have been looking at a plain film rather than a calcified bloodstream

2. May I ask which community design topic covered this case please? I am running out of time for a family member who seriously needs k2 and coq10 pronto. This guy says MK4 is preferred to MK7 actually and well justified, is he an imminst member?: http://wholehealthso...133410799485903

I have three damaged heart valves from early bouts of Rheumatic fever. I am 57 years old and see a cardiologist every year. He makes me get an echo and looks at my valves and has been doing so for 11 years. The last 5 years i have been taking jarrows mk-7 every other day with a meal. prior to that i was getting mk-4 from ortho core and still do but I only take one ortho capsule a day these past 5 years. The cardiologist who i last visited in Sept 2010 told me that whatever i'm doing keep on doing it because he thinks, after looking at my valve progression for 11 years, that i will die of something other than heart disease. He says my progression is very atypical-meaning they are not deteriorating-calcifying-like a typical guy my age. Does that prove mk-7 is responsible? Of course not- I am calorie restricted and exercise, drink cabernet wine, lots of berries etc etc. I am very health conscious IOW's. But perhaps the MK-7 is also doing some good. Bottom line is I wouldn't just depend on supplemnts like MK-7.
Mike C.

Mr. Mark, thank you so much for sharing. Will you please clarify for me, did you have atherosclerosis / some calcification prior to taking both K2's or is it just the damaged heart valves? Also take CoQ10 200mg++ if you're not.

Edited by sentrysnipe, 12 January 2011 - 11:38 PM.

#41 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

2. May I ask which community design topic covered this case please? I am running out of time for a family member who seriously needs k2 and coq10 pronto. This guy says MK4 is preferred to MK7 actually and well justified, is he an imminst member?: http://wholehealthso...133410799485903

I don't think Stephan from whole health source is on imminst. The logic behind the mk-7 in the imminst multi was to include the smallest quantity that gets the job done. I guess the question is whether your family member suffers from something that could benefit from larger doses of K2.
If this is the case, then go with mk4 otherwise mk7 should work.

What does your relative suffer from, if I may ask ?

Thorne K2 is pretty cheap for 1200 servings (1 serving = 1mg MK-4) per bottle.

Edited by rwac, 13 January 2011 - 12:24 AM.

#42 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:18 AM

I don't think Stephan from whole health source is on imminst. The logic behind the mk-7 in the imminst multi was to include the smallest quantity that gets the job done. I guess the question is whether your family member suffers from something that could benefit from larger doses of K2.
If this is the case, then go with mk4 otherwise mk7 should work.

What does your relative suffer from, if I may ask ?

Thorne K2 is pretty cheap for 1200 servings (1 serving = 1mg MK-4) per bottle.

Thanks, rwac. I was actually referring to the anchored link, commenter Chris, not Stephan, who has a blog at http://blog.choleste...at-vitamin.html

My family member has atherosclerosis, too much calcification going on that the doctors decided yesterday while doing the angiography not to put stents as it would be useless. The surgeons will confer on the 25th whether he will get a bypass or heart transplant. I would like to put him on MK4 stat. BTW, Chris explained that MK-4 is in higher dosew because it is synthetic while MK-7 is in a relatively lower dosage because it is naturally isolated from fermented soy.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#43 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

Thanks, rwac. I was actually referring to the anchored link, commenter Chris, not Stephan, who has a blog at http://blog.choleste...at-vitamin.html

My family member has atherosclerosis, too much calcification going on that the doctors decided yesterday while doing the angiography not to put stents as it would be useless. The surgeons will confer on the 25th whether he will get a bypass or heart transplant. I would like to put him on MK4 stat. BTW, Chris explained that MK-4 is in higher dosew because it is synthetic while MK-7 is in a relatively lower dosage because it is naturally isolated from fermented soy.

In that case, a larger dose of MK4 might make sense. How about starting with say 1-5 mg 2-3 times a day (MK4 has a short half life).

Btw, do you think it might be a bit late for supplements, if he's so far advanced and waiting for surgery ...

Edited by rwac, 13 January 2011 - 02:25 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users