Photo
- - - - -

Water Filter

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Charmion

• 78 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:40 AM

I'm planning on buying a water filter soon, and as I unfortunately have no knowledge or experience in the matter, have no clue where to begin. Any input from someone who knows about quality water filters or any water purifying devices will be appreciated.

#2 Charmion

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:21 AM

Bump!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 hypnotoad

• 125 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:37 AM

Sorry no help here - I buy large water jugs from the grocery store that have water purified via reverse osmosis. It's also only the water I can use for my portable humidifier that doesn't leave a white dust (salt?) on everything.

#4 Charmion

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:11 AM

I was thinking perhaps a charcoal filter combined with one or two others, or just getting a distillator. I'm looking for people who use water filters: what sort do you use and how well has it worked for you? Suggestions?

Anyone?

#5 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

For scrupulously clean water, use a reverse osmosis system plus an activated carbon system; then add a filter certified for microbiological purification.

For basic information on the water supply and the effectiveness of different kinds of filters take a look at the EPA's booklet "Water on Tap" http://www.epa.gov/safewater/wot/

#6 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

The cleanest you can get is heat distillation + carbon filter for volatiles.

However, this creates problems on its own. One example being that the lacking salts in intaken fluids will rip out salts from neighbouring tissues and blood into the intestines as well as causing tissue and vascular swelling by water quickly going the opposite way.

Edited by Blue, 06 June 2010 - 05:29 PM.

#7 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

WHO: Health risks from drinking demineralised water
http://www.who.int/w...mineralized.pdf

#8 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

Here's a link to "Certified Water Treatment Devices" compiled by the state of California.

http://www.cdph.ca.g...9Directory.aspx

Far from the ultimate, personally I just use a Brita (carbon filter) pitcher style filter.

I recall reading on the forum that Duke has a whole house water filtration installed. Maybe he'd weigh in with his two-cents.

#9 MoodyBlue

• 144 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

They cost a lot, but might be the best for home use. 5 Stage RO Filtration Systems: http://www.google.co...27f32381456711a

#10 Charmion

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:07 AM

Thanks, guys. I'm mainly trying to look for a replacement for buying distilled water all the time. According to WHO, this is bad; something which I never knew; nor did I know about it taking salts from tissues. I heard it was the best way to get contaminants out. The thing moodyblue recommended looked great. How does reverse osmosis compare with distillation in terms of contaminant removal? Also, does it leave the minerals in?

#11 lbarber4

• 51 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:11 AM

Thanks, guys. I'm mainly trying to look for a replacement for buying distilled water all the time. According to WHO, this is bad; something which I never knew; nor did I know about it taking salts from tissues. I heard it was the best way to get contaminants out. The thing moodyblue recommended looked great. How does reverse osmosis compare with distillation in terms of contaminant removal? Also, does it leave the minerals in?

Just buy some trace mineral drops and stick it in your water. No need to get a new water filter.

#12 Elenai

• 46 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:40 AM

I currently buy bottled mineral water. Would this be better or worse than a simple Britta jar?

#13 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:53 PM

Just buy some trace mineral drops and stick it in your water. No need to get a new water filter.

This would have been my suggestion, but I was thinking maybe a mineral-containing natural sea salt like this ("more than 50 natural trace minerals"). I thought that the hype about distilled/demineralized water was mostly hype since food sources far outweighed beverage sources.

#14 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Why would you want to supplement sodium? Even super-low sodium diets (e.g. die hard paleo) should provide plenty in most cases. And don't let the marketing fool you but "natural sea salt" is just salt (with trace contaminants). I am sure there's a good way to get trace minerals w/o sodium.

Edited by kismet, 10 June 2010 - 06:50 PM.

#15 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

Why would you want to supplement sodium? Even super-low sodium diets (e.g. die hard paleo) should provide plenty in most cases. And don't let the marketing fool you but "natural sea salt" is just salt (with trace contaminants). I am sure there's a good way to get trace minerals w/o sodium.

Sodium outside of unprocessed food sources is essential if one is physically active and/or lives in a warm climate. Consuming hypotonic solutions in sufficient quantities can be unhealthy, especially given these circumstances (both of which currently apply to me). Besides, the level of salt/minerals added would be too low to cause any detriment to health, and possibly the contrary (hence my question). Do you delineate "trace contaminants" from "trace minerals," or is that just your description of the same stuff depending on their source?

#16 Charmion

• Topic Starter
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

Thanks alot for the replies, guys. I'm going to get a heat distillator and carbon filter. Anyone know good brands and places online to buy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users