Photo
- - - - -

What is this cognitive problem called?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rejwan

• 45 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

I am mainly doing everything unconsciously all the time. When I am driving I do not realize anything around even that I am driving. Actually I unconsciously see car, people etc. so it is safe - I do not hit anything and see all traffic lights, and everyhing but I am unaware of them . When I walk, sit, I do not realize anything around me. Both visually and soundly. What is this cognitive problem called -I also do not think consciously a lot if there is no stimulant in the outer world that grabs my attention. What is this problems name actually and are there any nootropics or herbal supplements for that purpose?

#2 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

To clarify, what is going on when you're in this unconscious state? Are you distracted, thinking of other things (daydreaming?), or just zoned out and not really aware of...anything? I'm having a hard time picturing what's going on. Could be some manner of attentional problem, I guess.

There might be some substances that could help, but it would depend on what you're trying to achieve. Being more engaged in your surroundings is classically a problem for meditation (esp. mindfulness).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rejwan

• Topic Starter
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:59 AM

To clarify, what is going on when you're in this unconscious state? Are you distracted, thinking of other things (daydreaming?), or just zoned out and not really aware of...anything? I'm having a hard time picturing what's going on. Could be some manner of attentional problem, I guess.

There might be some substances that could help, but it would depend on what you're trying to achieve. Being more engaged in your surroundings is classically a problem for meditation (esp. mindfulness).

Thank you for replying. I guess I might be daydreaming or something similar. I might be thinking somethings unconsciously.

#4 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Thank you for replying. I guess I might be daydreaming or something similar. I might be thinking somethings unconsciously.

Sounds like zoning out. You might have attention problems. Look into that.

Best of luck.

#5 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

It could be attentional, certainly. Do you feel depressed? Would you say you derive a lot of enjoyment from your daily life? Does this happen when you're doing things that you're very interested in?

#6 rejwan

• Topic Starter
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:59 PM

thank you all for the replies.

Chrono: Yes, when I am dealing with something I am interested in, the attention increases and can do it fine. Well yes - may be I do not get a good joy from life. I am not sure about it as I can not compare it with other people but there is not a deep depression I guess.

I will try piracetam but I am not sure its main purpose will handle my problem. Are there any other solutions ?

Edited by re2weraqer235, 02 June 2010 - 11:01 PM.

#7 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

thank you all for the replies.

Chrono: Yes, when I am dealing with something I am interested in, the attention increases and can do it fine. Well yes - may be I do not get a good joy from life. I am not sure about it as I can not compare it with other people but there is not a deep depression I guess.

I will try piracetam but I am not sure its main purpose will handle my problem. Are there any other solutions ?

Yes. Seek professional help, and get a diagnosis before experimenting with nootropics. It sounds to me like you have ADD-I or something similar that psychostimulants, i.e. Adderall would be the better choice.

#8 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:26 AM

I am mainly doing everything unconsciously all the time. When I am driving I do not realize anything around even that I am driving. Actually I unconsciously see car, people etc. so it is safe - I do not hit anything and see all traffic lights, and everyhing but I am unaware of them . When I walk, sit, I do not realize anything around me. Both visually and soundly. What is this cognitive problem called -I also do not think consciously a lot if there is no stimulant in the outer world that grabs my attention. What is this problems name actually and are there any nootropics or herbal supplements for that purpose?

It sounds like it may be depression, or a high stimulatory threshold. However, people generally move through the day without consciously processing the vast majority of what they encounter, and it sounds very much like you are both not interested in life and aware of yourself. I don't think taking an supplement will help you with this for any period of time longer than that involving the substance. If anything I'd recommend a herbal supplement over a nootropic, but if you wish to choose a nootropic, the racetams are a good place to start. Personally, aniracetam helped me with attnetion span and enhanced visual acuity far more than piracetam. If you go the herbal route I'd recommend turmeric or a "bioabsorbable" curcumin, and ashwagandha. Good luck.

Edit: I would stay very far away from adderall, ritalin, or any antidepressants, anti-epileptics, anxyolitics a psychiatrist may prescribe unless it's Cerefolin NAC or better nutrition. I've never seen or read of a good result with any of the classes listed, except for short-term use, which is not what you will be recommended.And when you come off the problem will be back, unless you change something in your life during that time which improves the situation. Be careful.

Edited by bobmann, 06 June 2010 - 07:34 AM.

#9 rejwan

• Topic Starter
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

Thank you all for the replies.

#10 MoodyBlue

• 144 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

I used to have the same problem back when I was in school and I was doing required reading for some subject that I had little to no interest in. I could read several lines before I realized I wasn't paying attention to what I was reading, even though my mind was reading all of the words. So, I'd have to go back and reread those lines to realize what they meant and have some memory of what I had read.

Try Noopept. It is a derivative of Piracetam. It increased my conscious attention (focus) more than any other nootropic or combination of nootropics by far. It also elevated that part of native intelligence which perceives the relationships between things and their relevance. I did use it while continuing with Piracetam, Aniracetam, and Oxiracetam at the same time. Alpha Gpc is my choline supplement for racetam support. I'm not sure if you would need a choline supplement if you just use Noopept by itself. You can't find much info on it. There is some info on these forums including here: http://www.imminst.o...o...&hl=noopept. At this Ukranian pharmacy they have a good price, you don't need a script, and I think it took less than 2 weeks for it to arrive: http://pharmacy1010....arch_result.asp. It was good quality. The cognitive effects build up over the first few weeks, but I did notice an effect with the very first dose. You do need to take a break from it after having used it for a while. You'll have to look for the dosage and administration info. Someone did use a translator to interpret the Russian instructions at that forum link above.

#11 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:15 PM

I used to have the same problem back when I was in school and I was doing required reading for some subject that I had little to no interest in. I could read several lines before I realized I wasn't paying attention to what I was reading, even though my mind was reading all of the words. So, I'd have to go back and reread those lines to realize what they meant and have some memory of what I had read.

This is a very common symptom of ADD. I get this like mad, unless I'm very excited about what I'm reading. I'd encourage you to post a more detailed report of your noopept experience in the thread you linked to. Especially your observations about effect on attentional symptoms, comparisons and combinations with racetams, if the need to cycle was based on personal experience, and if you noticed any irritability like others in that thread, and found anything to ameliorate it.

re2weraqer235, I would hazard a guess that the problem is attentional. Saying that you have this unconscious effect through most of the day, without being able to articulate more clearly what is going on in your mind, makes it hard to say. It's possible that there's some kind of depression involved, but ADD can also result in anhedonia (not deriving pleasure from activities). It might not be a bad idea to talk to a psychiatrist (or other doctor), who could ask you some more involved questions face-to-face.

If you can't or won't see a doctor, you could give piracetam and ALCAR a try. The combination might increase your alertness and focus, and doesn't have many downsides except for a slight possibility of anxiety.

Edited by chrono, 07 June 2010 - 11:20 PM.

#12 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:00 AM

That's depersonalization. Although DSM classifies it as a disorder (if persistent), it is considered one of the beneficial effects of enlightened state in various mystical systems (loss of ego, selfishness and fear of death). Instead of seeking "cure" (which will only damage you and turn you into a lifelong customer of psychiatric industry, forever seeking to cure the latest problem caused by the "cure" for the previous one), try seeing it as an advancement and using advantages it offers.

#13 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:23 AM

I've had bouts of this throughout my limited lifetime. I experienced it profoundly in my very early teens after experimenting with marijuana. Although pot is an entry level drug that is fairly harmless, I think altering my state of mind somehow provoked a more severe psychological response. One might question if the pot was laced with something but my friends who smoked it with me never experienced what I did. I'm not talking about the feeling of being high either. I'm talking about the feeling that somehow my perception of reality had become altered and things didn't feel the same to me anymore even weeks after the effects of the marijuana had dissipated. Whether this had anything to do with the weed or not I'm unsure but I do feel there might have been some correlation there.

Even though I haven't smoked pot in years, I still sometimes experience a detached from reality feeling. I feel as though I can witness people, objects, and scenes but they fail to register with my brain. It's like sometimes life lacks depth and I'm wandering through it in a fog--mostly in my own head. It's like my surroundings are there but they aren't being parsed by my brain. Like my brain is idling and bottlenecking the amount of sensory stimulating data it allows to register. I can feel this way for days, even weeks at a time, but then I have prolonged periods where I feel normal and am not aware of this disconnect between me and reality.

It's tough to fully convey the sensation and sometimes I wonder if it's more psychosomatic than it is an actual disorder. I suspect I have ADHD-PI and attribute this low-level state of mind to it. Incidentally, this feeling is partially responsible for my moniker. :p

This became very disconcerting to me when I was 13 - 15 years old and caused me to become somewhat socially isolated. It's tough to be social when you feel like everything that's happening around you doesn't include you.

Edited by semi-retarded-individual, 08 June 2010 - 03:30 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 MoodyBlue

• 144 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:53 AM

This is a very common symptom of ADD. I get this like mad, unless I'm very excited about what I'm reading. I'd encourage you to post a more detailed report of your noopept experience in the thread you linked to. Especially your observations about effect on attentional symptoms, comparisons and combinations with racetams, if the need to cycle was based on personal experience, and if you noticed any irritability like others in that thread, and found anything to ameliorate it.

re2weraqer235, I would hazard a guess that the problem is attentional. Saying that you have this unconscious effect through most of the day, without being able to articulate more clearly what is going on in your mind, makes it hard to say. It's possible that there's some kind of depression involved, but ADD can also result in anhedonia (not deriving pleasure from activities). It might not be a bad idea to talk to a psychiatrist (or other doctor), who could ask you some more involved questions face-to-face.

If you can't or won't see a doctor, you could give piracetam and ALCAR a try. The combination might increase your alertness and focus, and doesn't have many downsides except for a slight possibility of anxiety.

Noopept made it easier to tolerate what would otherwise be boring details in news stories, for instance. I normally would skim over the boring parts in order to get to the juicy parts. It also enabled me to keep more things in mind at one time which enhanced my comprehension for more complex and intricate relationships. Sort of like the advantage of having more active memory (RAM) in a computer.

It is necessary to cycle use according to the manufacturer's instructions. See here:

Dosing and Administration
Ноопепт ® применяется внутрь, после еды. Noopept ® is used inside, after a meal. Лечение начинают с применения препарата в дозе 20 мг, распределенной по 10 мг на два приема в течение дня (утром и днем). Treatment starts with the use of the drug in a dose of 20 mg, which was distributed to 10 mg two doses during the day (morning and afternoon). При недостаточной эффективности терапии и при хорошей переносимости препарата дозу Ноопепта ® повышают до 30 мг (см. «Особые указания»), распределенной по 10 мг на три приема в течение дня. With the lack of treatment efficacy and good tolerability of the drug dose Noopept ® increased to 30 mg (see "Cautions"), distributed to 10 mg three doses throughout the day. Не следует принимать препарат позднее 18 часов. Do not take the drug within 18 hours. Длительность курсового лечения составляет 1,5 - 3 месяца. The duration of a course of treatment is 1,5 - 3 months. Повторный курс лечения при необходимости может быть проведен через 1 месяц. A second course of treatment if necessary can be carried out after 1 month.

Perhaps it would be OK to cycle endlessly with 1.5 to 3 months of treatment and then 1 month of a break in between. It does not specify anything about future treatment after the second course of treatment.

That quote is from this link where there are 6 links with more relevant info on Noopept in the upper left hand corner under the Russian name for Noopept which is "Ноопепт": http://translate.goo...e?h...l=en&sa=G.

That translation is courtesy of "Ben-Aus" at this link: http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=30636.

Edited by moodyblue, 09 June 2010 - 02:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users