• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Why Take Nootropics?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Why Take Nootropics? (212 member(s) have cast votes)

Please Choose a reason that comes closest to why you decided to try/take nootropics

1. I'm a student - Looking for a bit extra to help with my studies (115 votes [36.51%])

Percentage of vote: 36.51%

2. I have ADD/ADHD and thought I would see if they helped (57 votes [18.10%])

Percentage of vote: 18.10%

3. Just curious, wasn't utilised to aid studying (29 votes [9.21%])

Percentage of vote: 9.21%

4. I tend to experiment with drugs and thought I'd try them (51 votes [16.19%])

Percentage of vote: 16.19%

5. Other (63 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 silencer

• 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

I'm taking nootropics as a supplement to hopefully help with my study regime. At a guess I would think most people taking nootropics take it for this reason (I doubt many people with alzheimer's are posting on this board) - however It would be interesting to understand If I'm in the majority, or if the vast majority of individuals taking nootropics are doing it just for curioustiy/hoping to improve health longer term.

#2 sootedninjas

• 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:08 AM

I'm taking nootropics as a supplement to hopefully help with my study regime. At a guess I would think most people taking nootropics take it for this reason (I doubt many people with alzheimer's are posting on this board) - however It would be interesting to understand If I'm in the majority, or if the vast majority of individuals taking nootropics are doing it just for curioustiy/hoping to improve health longer term.

to help me concentrate and focus more when playing online poker. I usually play around 10 to 15 games, and I know players who can play as much as 40 to 50 games simultaneously, anyways there is a lot of focus required since the action is literally happening every second on you need to know what is happening to all of the tables to have a profitable edge.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

Interesting question. I checked every box, lol.

It may sound like I'm just reading off the definition, but I take nootropics to improve the functioning of my mind. I'm not a student, but my "hobbies" mainly involve recreational learning and improving myself. I have ADD, and I'm certainly exploring different nootropic options to help manage it. But that is a side effect, more than my primary motivation; I don't feel like I need to be correcting a deficit, getting myself back up to some arbitrary baseline, for nootropics to be a valid course.

In short, they enhance my conceptual and intellectual functioning, allowing me to achieve more, and of better quality. They also help me to enhance/correct other neurologically-relevant matters...social anxiety, sleep, motivation, etc. And yes, neurological health is another factor which is very relevant to me, though in my late 20s this is more of a long-term goal than a pressing concern.

#4 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

I'm looking to improve my work (concentration, memory, cognitive abilities). I'm an engineer that does lots of programming and am constantly needing (and like) to learn new things. As a self diagnosis: I have very good analysis and problem solving skills, but my memory is not especially good. I always do better in classes or task that involve learning concepts and problem solving rather than straight memorization. Anything that would help with my memory would be awesome. Also, anything that makes focusing easier would also be welcome.

My nootropic stack:
1-2g of piracetam 2x per day
5g of lecithin 2x per day
lithium (15mg elemental at night)
500mg of bacopin (20% bacopa)
30mcg of Methylene Blue 3-4x per day.

#5 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:28 AM

I take nootropics for very a straightforward reason: they are a healthy addition to any lifestyle. They help slow Alzeihmer's, they help you remember information "better", ect.

It's similar to asking a quesiton: why do you eat more than 1000 kcal/day? Because if you didn't, your mental and physical performance would be decreased, from if you did eat more. Therefore eat more than 1000 kcal/day
  • dislike x 1

#6 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:51 AM

for the lulz

#7 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:28 AM

I voted for studying and also other. The other being to improve my perfomance at work.

#8 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:41 AM

for the lulz

Just curious, what do you mean by "the lulz"?

#9 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

http://knowyourmeme....it-for-the-lulz
Posted Image

For fun! Also to feed my intellectual vanity which always craves more, preferably in the form of blood sacrifices.

#10 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

I can't think of many things that are more interesting than enhancing how the brain works and thats why I experiment with nootropics(and other drugs ;) ). Can't forget that we pretty much are our brains.. and I can certainly notice the enhancements that most nootropics bring to consciousness.

#11 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:04 AM

I try them because they don't appear to be harmful. The better question is, why wouldn't you want to enchance your brain functioning?
  • like x 1

#12 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

My cognition sucks due to a psychiatric problem. So I'm hoping to retard, prevent, and enhance with nootropics.

I thought Methylene Blue was only good for dementia?

#13 MadFly

• 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:14 AM

All da shit I do. Gotta keep my mental game straight. Ya feel me?

#14 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

ADHD -- treating with d-amp daily -- have tried Piracetam's and so on, but with limited efficacy, and not at all as efficacious as d-amp. D-amp is questionable as a nootropic, as the term itself implies that it should have limited side-effects. None the less -- that's the rationale behind trying the different nootropics available -- a keen interest and of course eventual treatment.

#15 iago

• 110 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

Years of stress and poor sleep habits took their toll on me in a debilitating way. I'm hoping that nootropics will help me to recover. They've been moderately helpful thus far.

#16 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:28 PM

I am following in our masters footsteps as god requests me to do.
  • like x 1

#17 longevitynow

• 266 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:39 AM

Experimented with them in college and I noticed a little. Now in my 40s I take them to prevent cognitive decline, and hopefully enhancement. A better memory would be nice. I am sharper with some of the things I take, but can't say I've had any dramatic memory improvement from anything I have tried. I take ALA and ALCAR daily as anti-aging agents that have a particular effect on the brain. Occasionally use deprenyl and piracetam, but not as a long-term daily regimen as I wonder about long-term side effects.

#18 Tommygunz

• 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:18 AM

i am trying to create the ultimate supplement regimen for assisting in the treatment of depersonalization/derealization. so far it is.

aniracetam
alpha gpc
dmae
phosphatydilserine
sublingual B complex
and i'm gonna tinker around with mucuna pruriens.

if anyone has any suggestions to modifications i could make i would appreciate the input.

#19 Yearningforyears

• 230 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:37 PM

I use them as a chemical upgrade in order to get my mind running at optimum while being able to think and feel "differently" (a bit outside the usual thought pattern box) in productive ways of course.
The effects that matter the most to me are feeling personally integrated and being more open minded to other people, but of course I wouldn´t want to have to choose just one of these.

I am not a student, but hey... life is about learning, so nootropics could very well give more of that :)

Just taking aniracetam and nothing else has been really helpful so far.

I wonder... Are we entering a new era? The one of cosmetic cognition?

Edited by Nicholas, 29 November 2010 - 11:44 PM.

#20 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

for the lulz

hahahahaha

<3

#21 Saha

• 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

I take nootropics in order to feel better and to increase my study and work efficiency - they make me clearheaded. :happy:

#22 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

I take nootropics in order to feel better and to increase my study and work efficiency - they make me clearheaded. :happy:

what do you take if you don't mind me asking??

#23 SucubbusLT

• 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

Why i use nootropics? Because I feel it is right idea to try to make myself smarter, more motivative to do things. I am still hoping i will find good nootropic stack which would work for me and if not, then i will dye trying. Now my plans are to use nootropics for my whole life, i just need to find the right stack. I think I have tested quite a lot of nootropics and other substances, including more stronger ones like cerebrolysin, ritalin, pramiracetam, deprenyl so i think i have some experience with nootropics. And so through trials and errors I have found few ingredients which work for me in long run - modafinil, coffee, exercise. Others still need to be found.

#24 Saha

• 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

what do you take if you don't mind me asking??

Well, my favourite nootropic is Piracetam.:) It works really well for me, maybe better than for many other people(I guess that's because I'm not really healthy and in the past I got prescribed by the doctor).
My regimen now:
Piracetam (3x400mg/day)
Vinpocetine (2x5mg/day) - not really effective, but it helps a little to prevent headaches.
B Vitamins: B1, B6, B12.

And also I take Melaxen(Melatonin) before going to bed, it makes me fall asleep easilier.

I had been taking Ladasten(aka bromantane) previous week, I really like this drug, it is pleasantly stimulative and it has long half-life(almost 12 hours).

#25 Saha

• 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:38 PM

Why i use nootropics? Because I feel it is right idea to try to make myself smarter, more motivative to do things.

As for me, nootropics don't make me smarter than I am. But they certainly help me to realize my potential. I do things better on nootropics and few weeks after a course of them. (One day I even measured how nootropics improve my skill to solve arithmetic problems, but I always remember about measuring only after I start using nootropic - looks like they really improve my memory :-D ).

Now my plans are to use nootropics for my whole life, i just need to find the right stack.

I am wondering, do you want to space nootropic courses?

I think I have tested quite a lot of nootropics and other substances, including more stronger ones like cerebrolysin, ritalin, pramiracetam, deprenyl so i think i have some experience with nootropics. And so through trials and errors I have found few ingredients which work for me in long run - modafinil, coffee, exercise. Others still need to be found.

Also, did you find other substances useless? In particular, didn't racetams work for you?

#26 SucubbusLT

• 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

For me piracetam worked in first times when i started using it, then tolerance came in and now piracetam and pramiracetam doesn't work for me anymore, even with a source of choline and in high dosages. And what do you mean "to space"? To space out? If tolerance or side effects comes in, then yes, else no.

#27 Saha

• 31 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

And what do you mean "to space"? To space out?

Yes, I meant "to space out".
My enghlish isn't perfect, especially when it comes to particles/prepositions/articles.:)

I heared that 2-3 monthes course of pramiracetam can lead to amazing(and, what is more important for me, long-lasting) results, so I'm going to try it soon.
How long had you been taking racetams before you felt such tolerance?

#28 SucubbusLT

• 31 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

And what do you mean "to space"? To space out?

Yes, I meant "to space out".
My enghlish isn't perfect, especially when it comes to particles/prepositions/articles.:)

I heared that 2-3 monthes course of pramiracetam can lead to amazing(and, what is more important for me, long-lasting) results, so I'm going to try it soon.
How long had you been taking racetams before you felt such tolerance?

i took pramiracetam for 2 months about 600mg each day. Sadly for me there were no improvements, only side effects like irritability came in so i dropped it. But everyone is different, maybe for you it will work.

#29 Saha

• 31 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:54 PM

Ok, thank you. I hope pramiracetam will work for me, because I really like piracetam. Usually I take it for 4-6 weeks, and then 8-10 weeks don't take it - to get rid of tolerance.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:23 AM

I did it all for the nookie.

Seriously though, optimization is my reason and my goal. I feel like I've successfully treated my ADD with supplements, diet, exercise and meditation. Now I'm looking for cognitive optimization and hell, maybe enlightenment.
Supplements are an adjunct more than a primary course, and yet I find many beneficial and suitable to my goals. Rigor and reliance on measures other than subjective perception seem paramount in assessing the relative benefits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users