- - - - -

Resveratrol: does stimulation mean longevity

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Young Paul

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:41 AM

I've been using 500mg for two years in different ways. The usual capsule method on an empty stomach makes me alert and speedy the first day or two and then nothing happens. I can easily repeat this stimulation effect by opening the capsule and mixing with vodka for a minute then swallowing. I also tried swishing under the tongue and seems to have the same effect. I've tried this vodka mix 25 times during 2010 and always works well. Disolving in melted chocolate and letting it melt in my mouth had poor effect.
So my question is : does my speedy, awake, alert, stimlated effects mean that I'm getting better absorption and therefore benefiting my longevity? or is this just a side effect.

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

Probably side effect. But pure resveratrol should not give a "speedy" effect; that is usually due to other substances in the knotweed it is extracted from, or from something in grape-seed extracts that is sometimes mixed with resveratrol.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:17 AM

Im cycling my Resveratrol, it does have a stamina enhancing effect, I wouldnt call it speedy,could be placebo,

#4 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

I don't think the extra stamina is placebo, but a real physiological transformation brought on by resveratrol.

However I think the "speedy" effect could possibly be placebo, but I definitely noticed this effect when I first started 50% resveratrol - it dissipated in time though with continued use of the product.

Now on 98% micronised from RevGen, and I notice no speedy effects at all, not even on first use.

So from my experience I can only say that the speedy effect is either 1) placebo effect; 2) a byproduct/impurity of the 50% resveratrol product that becomes less noticeable over time with continued use or 3) an effect from resveratrol that becomes less noticeable over time with continued use.

It would be interesting to hear reports from people who have only ever used the 98% pure product, and whether or not they ever felt the 'speedy' effect.

My hunch is that it's some impurity in the 50% product.

Edited by hamishm00, 04 December 2010 - 03:54 PM.

#5 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for posting your comments. Im currently using Nitro250 alternated with 500 mgs caps of micronized. Im minimizing my days of use to offset any potential, sides and/or developed tolerance to the "placebo" effect..

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:23 AM

It would be interesting to hear reports from people who have only ever used the 98% pure product, and whether or not they ever felt the 'speedy' effect.

I've taken 98+% off and on for years, at various dosages and in various formulations. I've never experienced a speedy effect, but there have been plenty of such reports from people using 50% extracts. People using the vodka/hold it in the mouth method have reported psych effects that probably qualify as 'speedy'. Resveratrol is a pretty promiscuous compound. I seem to recall that it has MAOI properties as well as some sort of neurotransmitter trafficking effect, so there might be a speedy effect to the pure stuff if you hit the right blood levels.

#7 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

I've taken 98+% off and on for years, at various dosages and in various formulations. I've never experienced a speedy effect, but there have been plenty of such reports from people using 50% extracts. People using the vodka/hold it in the mouth method have reported psych effects that probably qualify as 'speedy'. Resveratrol is a pretty promiscuous compound. I seem to recall that it has MAOI properties as well as some sort of neurotransmitter trafficking effect, so there might be a speedy effect to the pure stuff if you hit the right blood levels.

Perhaps, these reports of stimulative effects, are rare, there are more anecdotal statements contrary. Most people have regimens that include more than just Resveratrol, so making a blanket statement, based on that initial premise is groundless. I consider it an important part of any middle-aged and beyond, thinking person's regimen, provided its palatable with their physiology..

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:25 AM

Perhaps, these reports of stimulative effects, are rare, there are more anecdotal statements contrary. Most people have regimens that include more than just Resveratrol, so making a blanket statement, based on that initial premise is groundless.

It's not a blanket statement. It applies only to people who are taking 50% extracts or who are using the vodka/hold in mouth method. In both of those cases, reports of speediness are frequent enough that I believe it goes beyond a placebo or misplaced source effect.
  • like x 1

#9 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:04 AM

ive never experienced the speedy effect either. and ive been taking resv since the earliest days of Sardi's Long... formulation until i stopped due to (read below):

actually, the only thing i ever experienced was a 'clicking' type feeling/effect in the joints of my fingers again when taking the Long... formula. as soon as i stopped that formulation, the joint issue went away.

i take the nitro 250 formula plus a 99% pure powder for a number of years now and again, never experienced the speedy type effect.

on a side note - i lead an active lifestyle (age 43) plus a healthy diet and i did some recent blood work (similar to LEFs panel) or as near approximate as you can get it here in a Australia. All my values were smack bang in the middle of the normal ranges apart from D3 which was on the low side of the normal range.

i wonder if resv has had anything to do with the good results? probably more a combination of healthy lifestyle choices...

edit: when i say the Long... formula, i meant the earliest version of that formulation. ive no idea what the latest version xx.xx formulation is like.

btw: in the last couple of days, ive received in my inbox a couple of emails purporting to show some studies showing superior Long... action on various bio markers etc. anybody else received these studies? im not a scientist so i can't comment on them other than to say, the emails put a positive spin on the products.

apologies as i don't mean to derail the original post.

Edited by porthose, 30 December 2010 - 05:09 AM.

#10 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

I've been taking it for 2 years and can say that the speed effect is not placebo, but after regular use (a few days) then the effect stops. This speedy effect helps me to concentrate for long periods and have lots of energy similar to plenty of red bull or amphetamines, and makes me want to clean the house and work for hours on the computer. This effect works best for me with vodka, or swishing the powder around my mouth, and works well after 4 or 5 days without any Res.
I normally take 500mg of 98% pure so I doubt it has anything to do with extra additives. I can also go for hours without food and not got hungry. (similar to other stimulants)

#11 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:17 AM

I've been taking it for 2 years and can say that the speed effect is not placebo, but after regular use (a few days) then the effect stops. This speedy effect helps me to concentrate for long periods and have lots of energy similar to plenty of red bull or amphetamines, and makes me want to clean the house and work for hours on the computer. This effect works best for me with vodka, or swishing the powder around my mouth, and works well after 4 or 5 days without any Res.
I normally take 500mg of 98% pure so I doubt it has anything to do with extra additives. I can also go for hours without food and not got hungry. (similar to other stimulants)

Young Paul - when you take resveratrol, do you take it with or shortly before or after eating?

I would expect based on my own impressions, that food would dampen the stimulating effect you note (similar to a cup of coffee, I would think, if you are not used to drinking coffee.)

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 Young Paul

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

Young Paul - when you take resveratrol, do you take it with or shortly before or after eating?

I would expect based on my own impressions, that food would dampen the stimulating effect you note (similar to a cup of coffee, I would think, if you are not used to drinking coffee.)

I always take it on an empty stomach, and I always try to avoid all types of caffeine, so maybe I would notice this effect more than a coffee drinker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users