• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Resveratrol Benefits

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Resveratrol as an anti-inflammatory (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Is resveratrol helping control pain and inflammation?

1. Yes (6 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. No (2 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Maybe (6 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kimberlie

• 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

I injured my back back in 2001 and have had chronic pain since. I have noticed since beginning my resveratrol regimen (1000mg day) that I am using less NSAIDS. Has anyone else experienced anti-inflammatory effects when using resveratrol daily?
Kimberlie :unsure:

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

Resveratrol inhibits nf-kappa_B, which has a very strong anti-inflammatory effect by a different mechanism than NSAIDs.

INFLAMMATION
Volume 30, Numbers 1-2, 1-6, DOI: 10.1007/s10753-006-9012-0
Effects of Resveratrol in Inflammatory Arthritis
N. Elmali, O. Baysal, A. Harma, I. Esenkaya and B. Mizrak
Abstract
Summary:
Nuclear factor kappa B (NF-κB), is a pivotal transcription factor involved in the activation of the TNF-α and IL-1β genes. Activation of NF-κB in synovial cells is a feature seen in arthritis patients. Resveratrol, a polyphenolic, natural phytoalexin found with particularly high levels in grape skin and red wine is potent and specific inhibitor of TNF-α and IL-1β induced NF-κB activation. We aimed to determine the in vivo effects of intra-articular injections of resveratrol on cartilage and synovium in an experimental rabbit inflammatory arthritis model.
Materials and methods:
Arthritis was induced by intra-articular injection of three times of 50 μg lipopolysaccharide (LPS) at day 0, 4 and 8 at 4-day intervals into the knee joints of rabbits. To the test group, 10 μMol/kg resveratrol in the DMSO was injected in the knees at day 0 and then it was continued once daily for 2 weeks. To the control group the same time and amount of DMSO was injected the knees of rabbits. All rabbits were killed 1 week after the last injection and cartilage tissue and synovium were evaluated with semiquantitative scoring histologically.
Results:
According to control group in the resveratrol group, significantly decreased cartilage destruction was determined by H&E staining (p = 0.04). Loss of matrix proteoglycan content in the cartilage was much lower, as determined by safranin O staining (p = 0.03). We also observed marked synovial inflammation after intra-articular injection to control knees, but not in the resveratrol treated group knees (p = 0.01).
Conclusion:
This study suggests that intra-articular injection of resveratrol may protect cartilage against the development of experimentally induced IA.

Edited by maxwatt, 06 December 2010 - 08:37 PM.
Add reference

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MaximumLife

• 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

I am sure Anthony_Loera will be here in a moment to sell you his products that will help
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#4 Kimberlie

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

I am sure Anthony_Loera will be here in a moment to sell you his products that will help

Play nice! :laugh:
  • dislike x 1

#5 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:59 PM

I injured my back back in 2001 and have had chronic pain since. I have noticed since beginning my resveratrol regimen (1000mg day) that I am using less NSAIDS. Has anyone else experienced anti-inflammatory effects when using resveratrol daily?

Hi Kimberlie,

When did you begin taking resveratrol for your back?

Also, what is your connection to the site pureandhealthy.com which sells resveratrol?

You wouldn't happen to be their Office Manager would you?

Edited by pycnogenol, 07 December 2010 - 12:13 AM.

#6 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:43 AM

Hi Kimberlie,

Also, what is your connection to the site p&H which sells resveratrol?

I was wondering the same thing...

A

#7 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

Hi Kimberlie,

A

While we actively discourage active forms of advertising, reports with some actual content are allowed. If you guys want to discuss the merits of your products, do it here: retailer product-discussion

#8 Kimberlie

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

Hi Kimberlie,

Also, what is your connection to the site pureandhealthy.com which sells resveratrol?

I want to clarify that I did not start taking resveratrol for my back. I started taking resveratrol for the health benefits for my family and myself.

I have been taking resveratrol for almost a year now.

As for my connection to the company, you may see that on the product discussion forums, as there is a connection.
You are correct. I am the office manager for the manufacturing plant here in Oregon. I wished though, to discuss the anti-inflammatory properties of resveratrol.
Thank you for your inquiry
Kimberlie

#9 Kimberlie

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hi Kimberlie,

A

While we actively discourage active forms of advertising, reports with some actual content are allowed. If you guys want to discuss the merits of your products, do it here: retailer product-discussion

Thank you, I appreciate that!
The topic that I wished to discuss in this forum is the anti-inflammatory properties of resveratrol regardless of which brand is being taken.
Kimberlie

#10 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

Resveratrol may help with inflammation and even healing, though I have not yet experienced much of either in my use of it, YMMV. Here are some things that may work for inflammation, healing, and soft tissue integrity.

Curcumin-inflammation, possibly healing
Pycnogenol-inflammation, possibly healing through increased blood flow
MSM-soft tissue integrity, possibly inflammation
Fish oil-inflammation
Astragalus-healing, possibly inflammation
Glucosamine-soft tissue integrity, may help some with inflammation
Rosemary-inflammation
Holy Basil-inflammation

Edited by morganator, 08 December 2010 - 06:24 PM.

• like x 1

#11 FedAce

• Validating/Suspended, Guest
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:51 AM

OK, i have to admit my Plantar Fascitis was much better after taking this. BUT if this is such a Great anti-inflammatory then why doesn't more doctors recommend it for sports related injuries ???????????

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:13 AM

OK, i have to admit my Plantar Fascitis was much better after taking this. BUT if this is such a Great anti-inflammatory then why doesn't more doctors recommend it for sports related injuries ???????????

I'm not sure it would be the best choice for a traumatic injury. The effect it might have on healing and tissue regrowth is, well, unclear. To me, anyway. As for doctors... generally speaking, they don't recommend anything from the supplement world unless it is very mainstream, like fish oil. A few are starting to recommend vitamin D. The average doctor knows little if anything about resveratrol.
  • like x 2

#13 FedAce

• Validating/Suspended, Guest
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:33 AM

I'm not sure it would be the best choice for a traumatic injury. The effect it might have on healing and tissue regrowth is, well, unclear. To me, anyway. As for doctors... generally speaking, they don't recommend anything from the supplement world unless it is very mainstream, like fish oil. A few are starting to recommend vitamin D. The average doctor knows little if anything about resveratrol.

OK if this RES does Not extend life,,,,,,What the HECK is it good for ??????????? why the heck am i still taking it ??????????? YIKs

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:04 AM

OK if this RES does Not extend life,,,,,,What the HECK is it good for ??????????? why the heck am i still taking it ??????????? YIKs

Dunno. I'm taking it because it will suppress apoptosis in the event of an ischemic event. It promotes mitochondrial biogenesis. It might suppress transthyretin amyloidosis. It has an anti-NFkB effect.
  • like x 1

#15 Kimberlie

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

Resveratrol inhibits nf-kappa_B, which has a very strong anti-inflammatory effect by a different mechanism than NSAIDs.

INFLAMMATION
Volume 30, Numbers 1-2, 1-6, DOI: 10.1007/s10753-006-9012-0
Effects of Resveratrol in Inflammatory Arthritis
N. Elmali, O. Baysal, A. Harma, I. Esenkaya and B. Mizrak
Abstract
Summary:
Nuclear factor kappa B (NF-κB), is a pivotal transcription factor involved in the activation of the TNF-α and IL-1β genes. Activation of NF-κB in synovial cells is a feature seen in arthritis patients. Resveratrol, a polyphenolic, natural phytoalexin found with particularly high levels in grape skin and red wine is potent and specific inhibitor of TNF-α and IL-1β induced NF-κB activation. We aimed to determine the in vivo effects of intra-articular injections of resveratrol on cartilage and synovium in an experimental rabbit inflammatory arthritis model.
Materials and methods:
Arthritis was induced by intra-articular injection of three times of 50 μg lipopolysaccharide (LPS) at day 0, 4 and 8 at 4-day intervals into the knee joints of rabbits. To the test group, 10 μMol/kg resveratrol in the DMSO was injected in the knees at day 0 and then it was continued once daily for 2 weeks. To the control group the same time and amount of DMSO was injected the knees of rabbits. All rabbits were killed 1 week after the last injection and cartilage tissue and synovium were evaluated with semiquantitative scoring histologically.
Results:
According to control group in the resveratrol group, significantly decreased cartilage destruction was determined by H&E staining (p = 0.04). Loss of matrix proteoglycan content in the cartilage was much lower, as determined by safranin O staining (p = 0.03). We also observed marked synovial inflammation after intra-articular injection to control knees, but not in the resveratrol treated group knees (p = 0.01).
Conclusion:
This study suggests that intra-articular injection of resveratrol may protect cartilage against the development of experimentally induced IA.

Thank you so much for this most valuable information.
You are a gem.
K

#16 Kimberlie

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:54 PM

Resveratrol may help with inflammation and even healing, though I have not yet experienced much of either in my use of it, YMMV. Here are some things that may work for inflammation, healing, and soft tissue integrity.

Fish oil-inflammation
Rosemary-inflammation
Holy Basil-inflammation

Fabulous info on the homeopathic/naturopathic side of things. Thank you for the info. It is well appreciated. It would be nice to be able to take some natural supplements instead of NSAIDS that have known side effects.
Kimberlie

#17 Kimberlie

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

Dunno. I'm taking it because it will suppress apoptosis in the event of an ischemic event. It promotes mitochondrial biogenesis. It might suppress transthyretin amyloidosis. It has an anti-NFkB effect.

Also, doctors are loathe to prescribe anything that hasn't run through AMA and FDA approval for fear of malpractice. Find an MD with Naturopathic/Homeopathic ideals who can monitor your dietary supplement usage and make recommendations as well.
K
  • like x 1

#18 gomesbs

• 39 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

I agree, doctors are not yet into Vit D and resveratrol.

Last year I had a strong rheumatic articular flair. For the last 7 months I'm only medicated with sulfassalazine, but supplementing with 5000 IU Vit D and 500 mg 99% resveratrol, following this site users advice. I take blood and urine tests regularly (I'm a chronic patient so it's free for me, courtesy of one european healthcare system :)

Recently made a MRI and ecos to the affected parts, and the results were great, the doctor said it was a great recovery. My doctor tributes it only to sulphasalazine but I doubt it.

2 month ago I cut back on resvertatrol to 250 mg because my doctor the supplements were responsible for a slightly above average liver transaminase and at the same time reduced sulfassalazine to 1,5 g (from 2 gr) and 2 weeks later began to feel some discomfort on the left hip.

I increased the sulfasalazine dose to 2 gr and notinhg happened, but then I inscreased resveratrol to 500 mg again the pain fade in a few days! Let's see if it remains that way...

One thing bothering me it's Vit D levels which from my supplementation came to 67ng/ml. I'm cutting the weekly dose since from what I read here nowadays maybe to high, probably get it down to 50 something

#19 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for posting the details regarding your good progress, here. Anything ingested could raise liver enzymes, particularly the sulfa., added Resveratrol will cetainly increase them, although depended on your general health, it should not be harmful. I would dose Resveratrol every other day or 5 days on, 2 days off. Taking Resveratrol, or any other supplements, combined with medications is not recommended unless you have some knowledge as to what the meds actually do, and/or if stacking them is the smart thing to do. Resveratrol may render some medications impotent and make other meds super-potent, so, listening to your body's feedback and not trying to be your own Doctor is important. Excessive Vit D can be toxic and raise liver enzymes, so I would definately cut back on that unless you have a shortage. Just my opinions, and I hope they are helpful.

#20 Kimberlie

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

I agree, doctors are not yet into Vit D and resveratrol.

Last year I had a strong rheumatic articular flair. For the last 7 months I'm only medicated with sulfassalazine, but supplementing with 5000 IU Vit D and 500 mg 99% resveratrol, following this site users advice. I take blood and urine tests regularly (I'm a chronic patient so it's free for me, courtesy of one european healthcare system :)

Recently made a MRI and ecos to the affected parts, and the results were great, the doctor said it was a great recovery. My doctor tributes it only to sulphasalazine but I doubt it.

2 month ago I cut back on resvertatrol to 250 mg because my doctor the supplements were responsible for a slightly above average liver transaminase and at the same time reduced sulfassalazine to 1,5 g (from 2 gr) and 2 weeks later began to feel some discomfort on the left hip.

I increased the sulfasalazine dose to 2 gr and notinhg happened, but then I inscreased resveratrol to 500 mg again the pain fade in a few days! Let's see if it remains that way...

One thing bothering me it's Vit D levels which from my supplementation came to 67ng/ml. I'm cutting the weekly dose since from what I read here nowadays maybe to high, probably get it down to 50 something

The scale for Vitamin D is between 30-100 and they do want you at the low end of that. I would definitely not be supplementing still if you are at 67. Or at least consider reducing your supplementation.

K

Edited by Kimberlie, 13 December 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#21 Kimberlie

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Fish oil-inflammation
Rosemary-inflammation
Holy Basil-inflammation

I am hearing more and more about circumin. Does anyone know if it helps with joint issues/arthritis, etc. or if it's target is muscle/ligament/tendon focused?
Kimberlie

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#22 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

Fish oil-inflammation
Rosemary-inflammation
Holy Basil-inflammation

I am hearing more and more about circumin. Does anyone know if it helps with joint issues/arthritis, etc. or if it's target is muscle/ligament/tendon focused?
Kimberlie

nf-Kappa-B inhibitor, like resveratrol. Reduces inflammation.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users