• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Europeans: Paralell Conference?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you attend an Imminst meeting in Europe on Nov 5th? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you attend an Imminst meeting in Europe on Nov 5th?

1. Yes, probably (10 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Maybe, but rather unlikely (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:09 PM

This is for those members living in Europe who will not attend the US conference for whatever reason.
Those who answer "no", just click Null Vote.
Others, please put your country of residence below.

#2 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:30 AM

Despite the overwhelming participation in this poll ;)) it look like there will indeed be a paralell gathering in Europe.

This will be at the "European Citizens' Deliberation" Festival 4-7th November in Amsterdam, Netherlands, centrally located in the heart of old Europe.

For Dutch speaking people:
http://www.rathenau....eID=1&item=1164

4 t/m 7 november 2005: Burgers praten weer over hersenwetenschappen 
Van 4 t/m 7 november 2005 komt het Nederlandse burgerpanel weer bij elkaar om te praten over hersenwetenschappen.
Tijdens deze bijeenkomst ontmoet en bevraagt het burgerpanel een aantal experts dat is uitgenodigd. het doel is om informatie en inzicht te verwerven zodat het panel zich een mening kan vormen voor het slotdocument dat maandag 7 november wordt overhandigd aan het Nederlan

But don't worry, they all speak English, German and five other languages. [alien]

The ImmInst Film will have its European Premiere at the Festival.

If you are interrested in a meeting, please confirm attendance below.

#3 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:05 AM

I don't usually do this, but since this was specifically an Imminst event, I'll attempt a brief report: However, its very hard to for me give a good account, because of the language barrier. Maybe some other participant who reads this could be gracious enough to comment, or offer a second perspective.
The event was taking place in NEMO, a large and cheerful Science Museum (one of those very interactive ones that are great fun for kids of all ages) in Amsterdam.
The first day was part of an event called "Museumsnight" where all the City's major Museums are free and open until 2:00 AM. That concept emerged a few years ago all over Europe and has proven very popular in particular with young people.
The Rathenau institute, a Dutch technology forecasting think tank was collaborating with NEMO to have a special discussion on life extension.
They had constructed a mini exhibition on life extension issues, from basic gerontology, to supplements, and the "forever" question. They also organised a debate of nine experts: Van Boggarert - Hormones, Jaspers – genetics, Kamphuis – Transhumanism, Mummery – E Stemcells, Robillard –Nanotech, Schuitenmaker – Geriatics, Sitskoorn Alzheiners, Westerndorp – Stemcells… and yours truly (– the only one on the panel who did not speak Dutch, not that I had not warned the organizers about this a couple of times). All nice people I think. Check out the attachment (in Dutch) for details.
I think the two moderators were Dutch TV starlets, who seemed very skilled in bridging the gap between engaging a completely lay audience and asking serious questions.
The first part was a very brief interview session with each participant, which I think was meant to be filmed, but I'm unsure if this worked out in the end. There were around 60 people attending listening in at that point, the location was a bit ill-positioned.

We then proceeded to the theatre where the debate was to take place. Before that there was a short theatrical performance which seemed entertaining enough, but I think was more relevant to IVF and genetic testing rather than anything to do with aging. The first debate was broken up into two sessions, splitting the panel into two groups. The first one more science-centered and seemed to evolve around supplements in particular hormones which apparently is a controversial political issue for the Dutch at the moment. The second one, on which I participated had a more general outlook and I dare say was rather more lively and interesting to the audience. I did my best to tow Aubrey's line (because I think that was what they invited me for) inevitably using many of his tools, such as the engineering approach parable about different ways to fix a house etc. Overpopulation and "would it not be boring" came up. Sadly, (but understandably of course) the debate remained in Dutch, so while I was understood, I was not really able to follow very well, and even though I was usually able to gauge where the debate was going, it was impossible to react to the subtle nuances that arise in such a setting. Happily there was Arjen Kamphuis to address the social questions, and some of the scientist seemed not too pessimistic about the science.

The debate closed, regrettably the moderators forgot to mention that the ImmInst Film was being screened in one of the big Museum Cinemas. It took me a while till I got there, that night. At that time the room was hardly filled to the brink, people wandering in and out with a resident audience of half a dozen. In total however, I would venture that more than two hundred people saw some part of the film.
Nobody saw the entire film even if they wanted to, because a technical glitch meant that the film would stop after about 15-20 minutes and then start anew. Sadly, when I realized this, it was already after midnight, and not much could be done at that stage. The part that was screened looked fine in principle, but the picture quality was very grainy at times and the sound varied way too much between the interviews. I'd suggest that some more editing needs to be done if this is to be shown in cinemas.
On the other hand, when I questioned some people how they liked the film, nobody picked up on these technical issues. Some were very dismissive, some though it was interesting – but that was based on the message, not the presentation.
Meanwhile thousands of people were filing past the ImmInst book, and the fliers were gone very fast indeed. - Maybe we'll have the pleasure of welcoming a few Dutch members soon?

The second day was another debate, less connected with the museum and more with the Rathenau Institute. This time you had to buy a ticket in advance, there was no performance, and finally all the panelists were together on stage. This meant that the focus was less specific, and I think the debate was more engaging as a result. Some panelist felt sufficiently moved to address me in English. So strangely the Sunday debate with selected audience, (~40 people) was much more like the one would have liked for the general debate on the night before. Midway through, the the first three minutes of the Imminst film were shown and I briefly explained what it was about.
Once again, it is hard for me to assess this, but I think that with a few exceptions there was no outright hostility or ridicule of SENS-like ideas in the audience or on the panel. Some scientist played the part of the skeptic –as is their job–, some took the "why would you?" line and some were convinced that there are more pressing problems, but generally, I think it went fairly well – at least that’s what people told me afterwards.
I don't know if that was them being flattering, but I know for a fact that we managed to get some people to think, and one or two to *really* think… and that is all one can wish for.

Attached Files

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for spending your valuable time representing the Institute Caliban! Wonderful. I am glad people saw the film...unfortunately there were a few glitches. Bruce is still working to polish it up.

#5 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:33 AM

As there were so many nice pictures from the other event, I'll add some here too:

the museum:

Posted Image

the cinema where the film was shown (or a bit of it at any rate)

Posted Image

the panel

Attached Files

#6 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:35 AM

More of the latter and a report on the discussion (in Dutch) can be found here:

http://www.rathenau....e.asp?item=1296

#7 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for posting the review and pictures!

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

Not sure who accidentally bumped this but since it is now on the active topics list, I though I would throw this out there....I was thinking about having Imminst's official conference in Europe next year (2009). The organization has been around for 6 years now and it is truly an international organization. I thought it was about time to have another activity in Europe. My wife wants to travel to Europe for a vacation and having an Imminst conference at the same time would work quite nicely. Just throwing the idea out there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users