Photo
- - - - -

water filtration

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 frederickson

• 282 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

i think we can all agree it is important to drink a large amount of water daily for the various health benefits.

however, the amount of chlorine/flouride in tap water and the effects of plastic leaching into most commercially available bottled water lead one to believe there are better ways to get pure water. i have even read reports that brita filters sometimes grow mold. not sure whether pur filters can do the same. and while a reverse osmosis filtration unit seems to be the best means to clean water, the cost is often prohibitive.

how would you rank the following sources in terms of quality and cost?

tap water

bottled water in plastic containers

brita/pur jugs

brita/pur faucet units

reverse osmosis sink unit

Edited by frederickson, 19 February 2008 - 05:52 PM.

#2 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:56 PM

i think we can all agree it is important to drink a large amount of water daily for the various health benefits.

however, the amount of chlorine/flouride in tap water and the effects of plastic leeching into most commercially available bottled water lead one to believe there are better ways to get pure water. i have even read reports that brita filters sometimes grow mold. not sure whether pur filters can do the same. and while a reverse osmosis filtration unit seems to be the best means to clean water, the cost is often prohibitive.

how would you rank the following sources in terms of quality and cost?

tap water

bottled water in plastic containers

brita/pur jugs

brita/pur faucet units

reverse osmosis sink unit

I regard tap water as poison to drink.

You can actually check the quality of your local tap water at this website: http://www.ewg.org/tapwater/index.php

Here is an example from Dallas, where I currently am.

http://www.ewg.org/t...pwsid=TX0570004

I think the reverse osmosis sink unit is probably the best way to go if you own your home. As for bottled water, isn't there some way to determine if it leaks or not by a number on the bottle?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:11 PM

Exactly who's tap are we talking about here? Growing up on our mill hill with a community well and very old pipes we called our tap water "death water". :~

I'm concerned not just with the water I ingest but with what I bath/shower in as well.

My current setup is a whole house sediment filter and then a R/O under the kitchen sink and Vit-C filters on the showers.

Edited by frankbuzin, 19 February 2008 - 11:12 PM.

#4 rombus

• 42 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:20 PM

I think an R/O filter is the only way to go given those choices. I've got a kitchen sink unit.

Edited by rombus, 19 February 2008 - 11:23 PM.

#5 frederickson

• Topic Starter
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:09 AM

As for bottled water, isn't there some way to determine if it leaks or not by a number on the bottle?

does anyone know the answer to this?

i figured the ro filter would be best, but i am afraid most are out of the price range of a starving doctoral student. are the brita/pur filters helpful at all? or could they do more damage then good with the potential for mold and bacteria growth?

#6 senseix

• 250 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:40 AM

As for bottled water, isn't there some way to determine if it leaks or not by a number on the bottle?

does anyone know the answer to this?

i figured the ro filter would be best, but i am afraid most are out of the price range of a starving doctoral student. are the brita/pur filters helpful at all? or could they do more damage then good with the potential for mold and bacteria growth?

Take a look at the Crystal Quest 8 Stage counter top or whole house filter systems, great cost and way more affective than a brit/pur is.

#7 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

are the brita/pur filters helpful at all? or could they do more damage then good with the potential for mold and bacteria growth?

They have silver in them to kill bacteria. I don't know about mold. I haven't seen any visible signs anywhere in my pitcher.

#8 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:09 AM

I've been filling up 5 gallon jugs at a place that does reverse osmosis and UV treatement of tap water. Is the plastic concern real? I've read that it only is problem when plastic bottles are heated (left in the hot car).

#9 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:12 AM

I've been filling up 5 gallon jugs at a place that does reverse osmosis and UV treatement of tap water. Is the plastic concern real? I've read that it only is problem when plastic bottles are heated (left in the hot car).

I can definitely taste the plastic after water has been left out for awhile, even away from sunlight and heat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users