6) Modafinil
7) Piracetam
8) N-acetyl L-tyrosine
9) Gabapentin
10) ALCAR

Honorable mentions: DHA and Bacopa.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

Top 10 Nootropics:

1.Piracetam

makes me irritable, not smarter
2.Modafinil -- mechanism of action unknown, but definitely improves attention and focus.
3.Omega 3 Too much may not be good, and eating the right kind of fish three times a week can give adequate amounts. Just watch the mercury content, both of the fish and the supplements
4.Selegiline -- Breaks down into amphetamine, may be responsible for its mode of action. Withdrawal problematic, too sudden may have caused deaths. One study found a higher death-rate in users. IMO, amhetamines or ritalin equally effective.
5.Ritalin - Yes, improves focus. Aderall may be better.
6.Choline Supplement -- Yes, if you are deficient. More is not necessarily better
7.Hydregine--Can't tell that it does anything in the suggested doses suppliers recommend
8.MultiVit -- Depends. Most have wrong forms of A and E,do not account for differing genotypes, as some people need much more, others less of certain B vitamins. Too little D for sure, D3 should be added to your list.
9.Vinpocetine --Could not tell it did anything for me
10.Acetyl-carnitine/Ginko Biloba-- ALC definitely improves cognitive ability but also increases ROS in the mitochondria. Ames suggested R-lipoic acid to quench the ROS, but this is problematic; getting a workable form of R-lipoic is uncertain, and racemic leads to oxidized s-lipoic acid hanging around in your cells. I believe resveratrol in moderation will have an equally salubrious effect on mitochondrial function without generating ROS. Ginko? studies do not seem to bear out much benefit, and what is claimed could easil be due to the quercetin in many ginko extracts

Other ones that might work: Melatonin, Creatine Mono, Tianeptine

Creatine is positive, but usually for improved physical performance. Tianeptine I am not familiar with. Melatonin may have its benefits, but as a cognitive enhancer I would expect them to be indirect.

What's your list?=D

Edited by maxwatt, 26 March 2009 - 12:41 PM.

#4 Barksdale

• Topic Starter
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

Anymore suggestions?

#5 meursault

• 370 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:52 PM

CDP-Choline + DHA
Blueberries
Bacopa
Green Tea/Extract
Caffeine

These are the only substances that have had a noticeable effect on my cognition.

#6 Lurker

• 87 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

GHB.

#7 Barksdale

• Topic Starter
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

GHB.

haha seriously? I think that with the side effects it's not worth it though.

#8 fawnie

• 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:04 AM

ALA/ALC
phosphatidylserine - helps me focus
Maca - helps with alertness
Omega 3

Edited by fawnie, 04 April 2009 - 01:05 AM.

#9 Llama Chris

• 28 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

I haven't found anything that noticeably works on me, yet. Not willing to try things like huperzine, though.

#10 Barksdale

• Topic Starter
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

I haven't found anything that noticeably works on me, yet. Not willing to try things like huperzine, though.

What's dangerous with huperzine?..

#11 Lurker

• 87 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:26 AM

GHB.

Which side effects are you referring to?

#12 Barksdale

• Topic Starter
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:40 AM

GHB.

Which side effects are you referring to?

• nausea, vomiting
  • headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, amnesia,
  • loss of muscle control,
  • respiratory problems,
  • loss of consciousness, being conscious but unable to move,
  • sedation, desire to sleep,
  • rambling incoherent speech, slurred speech,
  • giddiness, silliness,
  • difficulty thinking,
  • passing out, and death - especially when combined with alcohol or other drugs
http://www.clearhavencenter.com/substance-abuse-treatment-resources/signs-of-GHB-use.php

#13 Lurker

• 87 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

Long term, there aren't any known side effects. It's arguably less abusable then Ritalin, according this this study.

With that said, i'm not going to defend the drug much, since it is pretty difficult to aquire legally in the USA (and other countries), and has a pretty bad media stigma as a "date rape drug." There's some interesting information about the productive qualities of the drug here.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 cherikoff

• 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

My choice is Kakadu Juice which is a whole food supplement (see www.kakadujuice.com/superfoods). It is currently only available in Australia, New Zealand and from 1st May, in the USA. It can be ordered on-line from www.dining-downunder.com/shop and shipped anywhere. Sure, it's primarily network marketed because it needs some education to promote the benefits. The crux of the value proposition is a range of indigenous Australian fruits and herb extracts which, along with the popular superfoods (acai, goji, mangosteen, pomegranate, green tea, blueberry, cherries etc) includes a cognitive enhancer from coastal rainforests in SE Australia and some highly antioxidant and nutritionally dense fruits.

The Australian Aborigines are the oldest living culture on Earth and while Europeans were living some 35-40 years at the time Australia was invaded by the British, Aborigines were living 60-70 years. Theirs was a relaxed lifestyle with plenty of exercise (walking, dancing, a little running while hunting), adequate sleep and a reliance on the most nutritious foods there are. Interestingly, the people were as adapted to their foods as the foods were to the land and just getting enough to eat meant that nutritional intake was more than sufficient for good health and well being (and longevity).

By comparison, our foods today are adapted to our supermarket supply chains and growers needs for ease of harvest and post harvest handling takes precedence over nutrition. Foods are bred for more water (juice) and often a concentration of sugar, primarily sucrose. Studies on Australian Acacia seeds (Wattleseed) recently revealed a content of every naturally occurring sugar - hexoses, pentoses and a few sugar alcohols. These appear to bind to proteins in cell walls increasing the permeability of the wall to transfer of a variety of compounds. Cancer cells have this protein which stops therapeutic substances from killing the cancer cells yet a number of Australian 'bush medicines' appear to turn on apoptosis (the Use By date on our cells) in rogue cells. Kakadu Juice contains several sources of these different sugars and a daily dose of 10-30ml, three times a day is the recommended intake. The fruits in Kakadu Juice can provide compounds which appear to boost nutritional status; turn on the bodies endogenous antioxidant system; repair cellular genetic code (epigenetic nutrition); work as adaptogens (blue-printing our cells, tissues, organs and systems to their ideal nutritional status) and probably allow us to live longer, healthier lives.

Pure pharmaceuticals on the other hand, will only disrupt delicate systems with side effects and imbalances and have more negative effects than positive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users